The pair regularly fire shots at each other on social media and Carragher could not help but line up a dig after watching Leicester beat United 3-1 on Sunday evening.
Kelechi Iheanacho was at the double and Youri Tielemans scored the other Foxes goal as Brendan Rodgers’ side progressed to the semi-finals at the Red Devils’ expense.
Shortly after the full-time whistle blew at the King Power, Carragher dug out Neville’s tweet from January which said: “Football on Thursday nights ain’t that bad.”
Neville was writing after Liverpool were beaten 1-0 at home by Burnley, a result which ended the Reds’ 68-game unbeaten run at Anfield and left their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League in peril.
The former England right-back was implying Liverpool would finish among the Europa League places and therefore be playing on Thursday nights next campaign.
But Neville’s tweet has come back to bite him, as United’s exit from the FA Cup means their only hope of winning a trophy this season relies on success in the Europa League – but for a dramatic and unlikely collapse by Manchester City in the Premier League.
Sign up for our boxing newsletter!
As such, Carragher gleefully replied to Neville’s claim that “football on Thursday nights ain’t that bad” by writing: “Especially when you’ve got f*** all else!”
Manchester United return to action in the Europa League on Thursday 8 April for the away leg of their quarter-final with Granada.
They will then host the Spanish club at Old Trafford the following Thursday.
- ^ Manchester United (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Liverpool (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ regularly fire shots at each other on social media (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Leicester (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Burnley (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Have your say in the comments. (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Manchester City (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ Premier League (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ click this link (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ here (www.mirror.co.uk)
[email protected] (Freddie Keighley)