De Boer's response clear after Van de Beek failed to follow Man Utd advice

2 min


84
13 shares, 84 points

Donny van de Beek’s miserable campaign continued as the Manchester United[1] midfielder was an unused sub during Netherlands’ 4-2 defeat to Turkey in Istanbul.

Following his move from Ajax last summer, the 23-year-old has struggled for gametime amid a frustrating first season in English football.

In total, he has played just 311 minutes in the Premier League[2] and has failed to start a league game since the turn of the year.

Advertisements

That has led to question marks over his involvement in this summer’s European Championship, with competition in Frank De Boer’s side intense.

Frank De Boer had previously told the Man Utd midfielder to hold talks about a lack of playing time

Speaking earlier this year, De Boer hinted that Van de Beek would need to hold talks with the United hierarchy, else risk missing out on a place in the Oranje squad.

“Euro 2020 is coming, he will undoubtedly want to be there. Maybe it would be good for him to discuss with the club exactly what they want with him,” De Boer said, back in January.

“If the view on playing time does not improve, he may have to declare that he should be loaned or even sold.

“You have to be lucky every now and then. Of course it doesn’t look great now, but with a great performance it can suddenly change completely.

Van de Beek was an unused sub as Netherlands lost 4-2 to Turkey in their first World Cup qualifier

“We also don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Perhaps they have made certain agreements with his transfer, they will get him ready for next year this season. That always remains a bit of a guess.”

Advertisements

Things haven’t improved since then, with Van de Beek restricted to cameos in the two cup competitions.

And with Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier with Turkey one of three competitive matches before the tournament starts, De Boer kept him sitting on the sidelines.

It amplifies the frustrating situation he finds himself in, with time running out before the ex-Crystal Palace boss makes a final decision on his 23-man squad.

Netherlands have two more competitive games before De Boer names his squad for Euro 2020

It will have been a bitter blow for the £35million man, coming hot on the heels of his international manager backing his decision to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford.

“His situation is more difficult. He is in the early stages of his career. I wouldn’t immediately throw the towel in either,” De Boer said, as reports Voetbal International.[3] “He still wants to show himself.

“I think it is a logical step that he wants to fight in the team. Let’s hope that will happen. I have not had any doubts yet.”

Van de Beek’s doubts may be continuing to grow.

* Sign up to the Mirror Football email here[4] for the latest news and transfer gossip

References

  1. ^ Manchester United (www.mirror.co.uk)
  2. ^ Premier League (www.mirror.co.uk)
  3. ^ Voetbal International. (www.vi.nl)
  4. ^ Mirror Football email here (www.mirror.co.uk)

[email protected] (Ben Husband)


Like it? Share with your friends!

84
13 shares, 84 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
0
hate
confused confused
0
confused
fail fail
0
fail
fun fun
0
fun
geeky geeky
0
geeky
love love
0
love
lol lol
0
lol
omg omg
0
omg
win win
0
win

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.