'Game of Thrones' headed to Broadway with new prequel story

2 min


74
12 shares, 74 points
'Game of Thrones' headed to Broadway with new prequel story

The stage play is expected to bring back some of the most well-known characters from George R.R. Martin’s ‘Game of Thrones’ series.

WASHINGTON — Move over winter, a Broadway play is coming.

George R.R. Martin’s “Game of Thrones” series, which became a globally popular HBO drama, is getting a Broadway spin-off, according to multiple reports.
The New York Times said Tuesday that Martin, who still hasn’t finished his long-awaited novel “The Winds of Winter,” plans to develop a play for New York City, London’s West End and Australia by 2023.
The play is expected to center around the Great Tourney at Harrenhal, which took place about 16 years before the events in “Game of Thrones,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. Martin is reportedly working with playwright Duncan Macmillan and theater director Dominic Cooke on the project.
“The play will for the first time take audiences deeper behind the scenes of a landmark event that previously was shrouded in mystery,” the official description reads, according to The Guardian. “Featuring many of the most iconic and well-known characters from the series, the production will boast a story centered around love, vengeance, madness and the dangers of dealing in prophecy, in the process revealing secrets and lies that have only been hinted at until now.”
“It ought to be spectacular,” Martin said in a statement announcing the play on Tuesday, according to the New York Times.
The characters in the play, which doesn’t have a title yet, are expected to include young versions of Ned Stark, Lyanna Stark, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, Rhaegar Targaryen and Oberyn Martell, CNBC said.
READ  Molly’s Game: Batman and Spider-Man actors ‘inspired Player X’ in Netflix movie
RELATED: Mountain top: Game of Thrones actor sets deadlift record
RELATED: HBO announces new “Game of Thrones” prequel “House of the Dragon”
The Broadway play is the latest in a series of “Game of Thrones” prequel projects following the show’s conclusion in 2019.
Just this week, George R.R. Martin signed a five-year deal with HBO to help develop content for both HBO and HBO Max, according to NPR. It added that he’s expected to executive produce an apocalyptic series “Who Fears Death.”
HBO has already approved a “Game of Thrones” prequel, “House of the Dragon,” which HBO says is “coming soon.”
“Game of Thrones” isn’t the first wildly popular book series to give the Great White Way a shot. In 2016, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” a new story based on J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series debuted in London. 

Like it? Share with your friends!

74
12 shares, 74 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
0
hate
confused confused
0
confused
fail fail
0
fail
fun fun
0
fun
geeky geeky
0
geeky
love love
0
love
lol lol
0
lol
omg omg
0
omg
win win
0
win

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.