Despite the UK Government delaying the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions in the UK, Silverstone circuit say they remain ‘confident’ fans will be allowed to attend – with discussions continuing behind closed doors amid the possibility of a capacity crowd for the British Grand Prix.
It had been hoped that, in line with Government guidelines, Silverstone would be able to have the race take place in front of a full crowd, with Boris Johnson lifting restrictions from June 21.
However, on Monday it was announced these plans were to be delayed by four weeks as the UK had not met the requirements put in place to ease the restrictions.
Under the current rules, events outdoors are limited to 10,000 people or 25 percent of a venue’s capacity.
However, the British Grand Prix is to be part of the Event Research Programme, which, alongside various other events like music concerts, Euro 2020 football championship, and Wimbledon, will examine the risk of catching COVID-19 from attending the events.
In a message on their website, Silverstone said: “Following today’s announcement confirming that the easing of lockdown restrictions will be delayed by four weeks, we’d like to reassure you that we remain confident fans will be back at Silverstone for the 2021 Formula 1 British Grand Prix in July.”
“Our ongoing discussions with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport, as well as Public Health England, are positive,” the track said.
“We will communicate the full details with you once we have them.”
But, according to Telegraph Sport, talks have started regarding the possibility of running the event at full capacity, if Prime Minister Boris Johnson announces a delay to ‘freedom day’ until July 19.
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed