Team news, stats and prediction ahead of Newcastle vs Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday; kick-off 3pm.
Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is back in contention for the home game against Chelsea after suspension.
Interim-boss Graeme Jones could also recall goalkeeper Martin Dubravka, who has returned to training after a foot injury.
Paul Dummett (calf) and Elliot Anderson (hip) both remain sidelined, but otherwise Jones has a full-strength squad to choose from.
Chelsea will still be without both Timo Werner and Romelu Lukaku. Werner is missing with a hamstring issue while an ankle injury has sidelined Lukaku, with boss Thomas Tuchel hoping to have the pair back after the November international break.
Mateo Kovacic (hamstring) is out after a training ground injury while Christian Pulisic (ankle) is back in training but will not be in contention until the visit of Burnley next weekend.
How to follow
Follow Newcastle vs Chelsea in our dedicated live match blog. Highlights will also be published on the Sky Sports digital platforms and the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel from 5.15pm on Saturday.
Last time out…
Jones Knows prediction
My theory that the odds surrounding both teams to score in Chelsea matches is overpriced has yet to bear any fruit.
But I’m not jumping off the wagon yet.
On paper, Chelsea have the best defence in the Premier League with just three goals conceded – but I will be flabbergasted if that remains the case over the course of the season. They are offering up good chances and shooting opportunities to the opposition. A figure of 1.62 expected goals conceded per 90 minutes in their last 10 fixtures showcases that. Southampton created 2.14 worth of expected goals in the 1-1 draw in midweek.
I’ve referenced this before, but it’s still relevant, Chelsea have the biggest difference between goals conceded (3) and expected goals against (10.7) in the Premier League after the opening eight games – at 7.7.
This is the week we should cop a return on the both teams to score bet as the Blues travel to the both teams to score gurus. Eight of Newcastle’s nine games this season have seen both teams bag a goal and in Callum Wilson they have a player of breaching elite defences. The evens should be snapped up.
Personally, I’ll be cheering on a home win having invested in the chances of Graeme Jones getting the Newcastle job at 14/1 with Sky Bet. I’m not confident though. Chelsea have a knack of finding ways to win.
SCORE PREDICTION: 1-2 | BETTING ANGLE: Both teams to score (Evens with Sky Bet)
Premier League Preview: Redknapp’s Tottenham vs Man Utd verdict | Will West Ham’s rise continue? | Problems for Norwich, Everton
Pete Smith is joined by Jamie Redknapp, Oliver Yew and Simeon Gholam to preview another bumper weekend of Premier League action.
PART 1 | Jamie Redknapp previews the Saturday Night Football clash between Tottenham and Manchester United. Will United bounce back from their humiliating 5-0 defeat to Liverpool last weekend?
PART 2 | Pete Smith is joined by Oliver Yew and Simeon Gholam to look ahead to Aston Villa vs West Ham on Super Sunday. West Ham’s season continues to get better and better after their Carabao Cup victory against Man City. Will that good run continue at Villa Park?
PART 3 | Norwich vs Leeds on Super Sunday and Wolves vs Everton on Monday Night Football: Pressure building on Daniel Farke, Rafael Benitez looking for solutions.
- Newcastle have lost five of their last six Premier League meetings with Chelsea, winning the other 1-0 in January 2020.
- Chelsea have won two of their last three Premier League away games against Newcastle (L1), more than they had in their previous seven visits to St James’ Park (W1 D2 L4).
- Since the start of last season, Newcastle have conceded more home league goals (43) and kept fewer home league clean sheets (two) than any other ever-present Premier League side over the two campaigns. The Magpies are yet to keep a league clean sheet at St. James’ Park this season.
- Newcastle are without a win in their nine league games so far this season. Only twice in their history have the Magpies failed to win any of their opening 10 games to a league campaign, though they avoided relegation at the end of the season both times (1898-99 and 2018-19).
- Chelsea are looking to win four consecutive Premier League matches under Thomas Tuchel for the second time. They previously did so in February, with the fourth game in that run coming against Newcastle United.
- Chelsea have already had 14 different goalscorers in the Premier League this season, the earliest in a campaign any team has ever had as many players score for them in the competition (excluding own goals).
- Chelsea have the best difference between goals scored (23) and expected goals (15) in the Premier League this season, netting eight goals more than their xG suggests. At the other end, Chelsea have conceded (3) almost eight goals fewer than their xG against (10.7), also the best difference in the division.
- Mason Mount has been involved in more Premier League goals for Chelsea under manager Thomas Tuchel than any other player at the club (11 – 7 goals, 4 assists), with the England midfielder netting a hat-trick against Norwich last time out.
- Newcastle striker Callum Wilson has scored six goals in his last six Premier League games, as many as he had in his previous 21 in the competition. He’s looking to score in four consecutive appearances in the competition for the second time, previously doing so in September 2019 with Bournemouth.
- Ben Chilwell has scored in each of his last four Premier League appearances for Chelsea (4 goals). He’d only scored two goals in his first 26 games for the club in the competition.
Read more here SkySports | News