Harry and Meghan hit by ‘devastating’ backlash as France turns on Sussexes

Harry and Meghan hit by 'devastating' backlash as France turns on Sussexes

Meghan Markle was widely praised in the US on Thursday evening following her light-hearted sitdown with comedian and veteran chatshow host Ellen DeGeneres. While Sussex fans cooed over the video with many observing how “at peace” Meghan looked, the Duchess of Sussex and her husband Prince Harry have also been subject to heavy criticism following their recent outings.

One British journalist took to Twitter to point out the hard time Harry and Meghan were being given by the French media.

The latest cover of the highly popular French Magazine Paris Match is scathing about the Sussexes.

Meghan was recently forced to apologise to a court for making a misleading statement in her privacy case against the Mail on Sunday’s publishers and Paris Match took the chance to go in on the Duchess over this.

Its front-page headline translates to: “Why Meghan lied.”

Another headline in the magazine reads: “The mask slips.”

Paris Match had a circulation of well over 560,000 in 2020.

It has also amassed more than 1.2million followers on social media.

Paris-based British journalist Peter Allen claimed the magazine’s criticism of the Sussex royals is particularly significant because “the French media has been quite respectful towards them in the past”.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle is finally ‘at peace’ with herself after US move

This came after Meghan’s apology for misleading a court on whether she had given authorisation for an aide to brief the authors of unofficial biography Finding Freedom about her.

The Sussexes previously insisted that they had no involvement with the 2020 book by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, “Finding Freedom”.

But her former press secretary Jason Knauf told a court Meghan Markle had not only known about his meeting with the authors of the biography but had sent him briefing notes.

He said that the royal couple “authorised specific cooperation in writing” in December 2018.

Following this admission, Meghan Markle said that she had not “remembered” emails in which she was told about a two-hour meeting between the authors and her then press secretary Jason Knauf for the biography.

In a statement, she said: “I apologise to the Court for the fact that I had not remembered these exchanges at the time.

“I had absolutely no wish or intention to mislead the Defendant or the Court.”

Read more here Daily Express :: Royal Feed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.