Queen heartbreak: King George VI’s ‘altered’ appearance on last day he saw daughter

Her Majesty, 95, will be reflecting today on the 70th anniversary of her father King George VI’s funeral. Britain’s former King passed away on February 6, 1952 and Princess Elizabeth was declared Queen. Her Majesty received the grim news of his death while she and Prince Philip were in Kenya as part of a tour of the Commonwealth. Following his death, cinemas, theatres and other venues across the country closed out of respect, while TV programmes also stopped broadcasting.

George VI lay in state in Westminster Hall where more than 300,000 people filed past his coffin.

His funeral was held on February 15 at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, where his body was interred in a vault.

George VI was popular with the British people, despite his unexpected accession after his older brother Edward VIII abdicated the throne in 1936.

He and his wife Queen Elizabeth, who later became known as the Queen Mother, led the nation through the horrors of World War 2.

However, the King, who was a heavy cigarette smoker, was suffering from anxiety, exhaustion and lung cancer before his death.

JUST IN: Kate overjoyed at baby news announcement from close confidante on eve of Valentine’s Day

The Queen last saw her father on the runway at Heathrow Airport, as he came to wave her off ahead of her trip to Kenya on his behalf.

Lord Chandos, the then-Colonial Secretary recalled the King’s “altered” appearance in an interview with the Daily Telegraph in 1952.

He said: “I well remember the last time I saw the King.

“When Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip left Heathrow for Kenya, the King and Queen came to see them take off.

“I was shocked by the King’s appearance.

The King was reported to have retired to his bedchamber “in his usual health” before he “passed peacefully away in his sleep”.

He died at the royal Sandringham estate in Norfolk and it was later discovered that a blood clot had stopped his heart.

Time magazine’s obituary of the King read: “Footman Daniel Long, who took a cup of cocoa to the King at 11pm and found him in bed reading a sportsman’s magazine, was the last person to see the King alive.

“Early next day, a servant brought the King‘s morning cup of tea. The tea was never drunk: a blood clot had stilled George VI‘s valiant heart as he slept.”

The Queen was just 25 when her father died.

News of the King’s death took a long time to reach the couple, who were in rural Kenya at the time.

They had been at a game-viewing lodge at the Treetops Hotel before returning to Sagana Lodge, where Philip broke the news of the King’s death to his wife.

Source link

Newslanes Media

By Newslanes Media is the leading e-news platform for the latest breaking news of world today. Newslanes auto aggregates and gather popular stories, business news, tech releases and much more for free for everyone. The news repository targets everyone after factual and well-researched information provided by trusted sources. All content and material belongs to their respective sources.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.