Vikings sweep singles matches after Skyhawks take doubles point
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (March 7, 2022) – Augustana (S.D.) College swept all six singles matches to overcome dropping the doubles point to collect a 6-1 decision over Stonehill College in a non-conference men’s tennis match at Oak Tree Park Sports Complex today.
- Freshmen Henry Dornbusch and Justin Karcher led the Augustana sweep of singles play with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
- Junior Cade Damgaard won the match of the day for the Vikings in a third set tiebreaker against Stonehill freshman Louis Coppi.
- Coppi and junior Christian Duffy helped clinch the doubles point for Stonehill, along with senior Juan Camilo Riano Rojas and junior Ben Simmons.
How it Happened
- Stonehill clinched the doubles points with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
- Duffy and Coppi rolled to a 6-1 decision at the top flight against Augustana sophomore Nicholas LaPoint and freshman Joseph Plachy.
- Simmons and Riano Rojas won their match at No. 3 doubles for the second straight day, cruising past freshmen Christian Cortinas and Gavin Schmit, 6-1 as well.
- Augustana reeled off wins at all six singles flights to collect the win.
- Damgaard and Coppi went to a third set tiebreaker after trading 6-3 sets, with Coppi battling back from a set down, but Damgaard took the tiebreaker 10-5 to secure the win at No. 3 singles.
Stonehill (4-2, 0-0 NE10) has Tuesday off, before returning to the courts on Wednesday to face Immaculata University at the USTA National Campus at 3 p.m. The Skyhawks next home match is their scheduled Northeast-10 Conference opener against Assumption University on Saturday, March 19, at noon. Augustana (4-5, 0-2 MIAA) faces Palm Beach Atlantic University tomorrow at 3 p.m.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.