Prince Andrew is “determined” and planning a “fightback” and is confident a return to public life is still a possibility, it has been claimed. Last week the Duke of York’s accuser, Virginia Giuffre, dropped a case she had brought against American lawyer Alan Dershowitz last week, in which she said she “may have made a mistake” when she accused him of sexual abuse. In 2020, Ms Giuffre sued Mr Dershowitz after alleging he defamed her when he denied claims that she had been trafficked to the attorney by Jeffrey Epstein between 2000 and 2002.
But on Tuesday, she agreed to drop those allegations after admitting she may have made an error when she also accused him of sexual abuse.
Now it is believed the Duke could see a way back into public life. A source told MailOnline: “Everything has changed, and Andrew is determined to fight.”
Prince Andrew paid Ms Giuffre a reported £12million to settle a civil case in which she accused him of sexual abuse. The Duke of York has always vehemently denied the claims.
King Charles III and the Duke of York allegedly held a private meeting to discuss a return to royal duties for the prince, but the monarch turned down any chance of a public return for his younger brother.
A royal source told the Mail on Sunday last weekend: “Andrew was totally blindsided. He is utterly bereft. He always believed there was a way back.
“Andrew was extremely close to the Queen and tried to raise the issue of his return to public life many times with her.”
“They continued: “Naive as it may sound, he always had hopes of regaining his position as a senior Royal.
“At the meeting, Charles told him that he can go off and have a good life, a nice life, but that his public life as a Royal is at an end. He was told: ‘You have to accept this’.”
READ MORE: Sophie Wessex pays tribute to the fallen during Remembrance Sunday
A friend added: “There is a feeling Andrew wants to forge ahead with a new life but the only person who can agree to that is the monarch. It means these conversations will have to start all over again now that we have a new King.”
On Saturday, Andrew was seen shooting with his sister Princess Anne, brother Prince Edward and other members of the Royal Family on the Windor estate.
He looked relaxed and at ease as he enjoyed lunch with the Princess Royal and her husband Tim Laurence, as well as with the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
King Charles III, who later that evening attended the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall in London, was also seen in Windsor and is thought to have joined his siblings in the afternoon.
Prince Philip ‘couldn’t be expected to sit on tight leash’ [COMMENTS]
Mike’s jungle stint ‘crystallises’ King’s argument to slim down Firm [OPINION]
Kate wears Princess Diana’s stunning pearl and diamond earrings [PICTURES]
A Buckingham Palace insider said he did not attend the shoot with his other family members, according to the MailOnline.
But the pictures of Andrew with his family on the Windsor estate suggests he still very much has the support of the Royal Family.
The Duke of York is no longer able to take part in Royal Family events, so did not join Charles, Anne and Prince William, at the Cenotaph this morning on Remembrance Sunday.
He was also absent from the Festival of Remembrance in London last night, which remembered those who fought in the Falklands conflict in 1982, in which Andrew served with the Royal Navy.