Harry and Meghan: US media responds to Netflix documentary
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s long-awaited Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan was released on Thursday shedding light on the couple’s relationship and the challenges they faced in the Royal Family which led them to leave the Firm. Despite the fanfare, a recent poll of Express.co.uk readers has found that a staggering 95 percent will not be watching.
The first three episodes of the series were released on December 8 as Volume 1 with Netflix promoting Harry & Meghan as an “unprecedented and in-depth documentary series”.
The final three episodes that makeup Volume 2 are available to stream a week later, on December 15.
The series gives viewers insight into the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s romance, detailing their love story and engagement: they open up about their first date and Meghan shares her memories of meeting with members of the Royal Family.
They share their stories in the form of sit-down interviews alongside clips from video diaries starting in March 2020 after they officially stepped down as senior royals. This is interspersed with archive footage and additional insight from family, friends and historians.
READ MORE: Alex Beresford ‘feels for’ those watching Harry and Meghan documentary
arry & Meghan was released on Netflix on Thursday
Just four percent of Express.co.uk readers said they would watch
The official synopsis for the show explains: “The series explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”
It adds: “The series does more than illuminate one couple’s love story, it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.”
Meghan was the first person of mixed-race heritage to marry into the Royal Family, and so a large chunk of the series explores the racism and media coverage Meghan faced because of her background, with Harry attributing his desire to protect his family as a reason they left.
He explained: “My job is to keep my family safe. But the nature of being born into this position… and the level of hate that is being stirred up in the last three years, especially against my wife and my son, I’m generally concerned for the safety of my family.”
In a poll that ran from 4pm on Monday, December 5, to 10.30am on Friday, December 9, Express.co.uk asked readers: “Will you be watching Harry & Meghan on Netflix?”
In total, 18,725 votes were cast with the overwhelming majority, 95 percent (17,861 people) answering “no” they will not watch the docuseries.
Whereas four percent (679 people) said “yes” they would be watching and one percent (185 people) said they did not know.
Hundreds of comments were left below the accompanying article as readers shared their thoughts on the series.
Harry said he had to protect his wife and family
The majority of readers commented against watching Harry & Meghan. Username vinney52 writing: “Definitely not interested in anything these two have to say.”
Username olimeep said: “I’d rather watch paint dry, far more interesting.”
Another, username skygazer, said: “There is not enough money out there to persuade me!”
While some readers argued that watching the series would be a waste of their time.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix documentary has sparked discussion across the globe, with three episodes still to come.
The couple’s first episodes looked at their romance and subsequent engagement and marriage, shedding light on how the couple felt as their lives changed.
They spoke about racism, Meghan’s first impressions of the Royal Family and Harry’s late mother Princess Diana.
Here are the key takeaways from Meghan & Harry’s Netflix documentary so far
Part two of Harry & Meghan will land on Netflix on Thursday, December 15
Username Coffeelover57 said: “Why would anyone want to waste six hours of their lives.”
Similarly, username Sue1976 said: “Far better things to do with six hours of my life than watch those two.”
Username Jayemkay said: “I wouldn’t waste time watching.”
And username davemh added: “No chance. Time of my life wasted and cannot get back.”
Harry & Meghan explores the couple’s love story
Netflix is promoting Harry & Meghan as an ‘unprecedented and in-depth documentary series’
Meanwhile, other readers said they had boycotted Netflix as a result of the series, with username Hunter129 commenting: “I have no intention of ever watching Netflix again, until they shed the Sussexes.”
Username scenesome said: “No. I will not now support Netflix in any way at all, given that they are facilitating this.”
Likewise, username scaud78 wrote: “Nope. Cancelled my subscription after the first trailer was released.”
And username Eleonora wrote: “Won’t be watching because I cancelled my Netflix subscription, giving their relationship with Markle and Harry as the reason.”
William ‘was right’ Meghan ‘needed more time’ to adjust to royal life [INSIGHT]
Firm bans Meghan’s niece from wedding because she’s Samantha’s child [REPORT]
Godspeed to the brave young Iranians fighting against oppression [COMMENT]
Many readers said they had cancelled their Netflix subscriptions
Director of the docuseries Liz Garbus said she hopes viewers will be “open” to the couple’s story no matter what preconceptions they have.
She added: “It has been a privilege to be able to work with Harry and Meghan, who bravely allowed themselves to be vulnerable by sharing their personal stories and archive.
“I hope that when Netflix viewers press play, whatever preconceptions people have, they will be open to the discovery of what we’ve shared in this documentary series.
“It’s an incredible love story set against the context of huge stakes and their journey is a historical event that will be examined for a long time to come.”
Harry and Meghan left the Royal Family in 2020
After Meghan and Harry decided to leave the Royal Family they relocated to the US where they now live in Montecito, California, and are raising their two children – Archie, three, and Lilivet, one – close to Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland.
The couple signed their media company Archewell Productions to a multi-year deal with Netflix shortly after their departure from the Firm, and are reportedly both making £244,000 per minute during the six hour-long episodes in the £88million show.
Palace insiders claimed on Thursday that the Royal Family were not asked to comment prior to its release.
However, the series opened with a statement reading: “Members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series.”