Powerball drawings are now held three days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, at 10:59 PM ET. This gives players more chances to win the jackpot and other prizes.
The Powerball jackpot starts at $20 million and grows larger until it is won. The jackpot can reach hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars. In addition to the jackpot, there are nine other ways to win prizes in Powerball.
To play Powerball, players must choose five white balls from a pool of 69 and one red Powerball from a pool of 26. Players can choose their own numbers or have the computer generate random numbers for them.
Tickets cost $2 each and can be purchased at most lottery retailers in the United States. The deadline to purchase tickets for a drawing is typically 9:59 PM ET on the day of the drawing.
Powerball drawings are broadcast live on television and online. Players can also check the results on the Powerball website or mobile app.
Why More Drawing Days?
The Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL), which oversees Powerball, added the Monday drawing in August 2021 in an effort to boost sales and increase jackpot amounts.
MUSL officials say that the addition of the Monday drawing has been successful. Sales have increased, and the jackpot has grown larger more quickly.
More Chances to Win
The addition of the Monday drawing gives players more chances to win the Powerball jackpot and other prizes.
For example, if a player buys a ticket for each of the three weekly drawings, they have three times as many chances of winning the jackpot as a player who only buys a ticket for one drawing.
How to Play Powerball
To play Powerball, follow these steps:
- Choose five white balls from a pool of 69 and one red Powerball from a pool of 26.
- Mark your numbers on a play slip or let the lottery terminal randomly pick your numbers.
- Pay for your ticket.
- Check the results of the drawing on television, online, or on the Powerball website or mobile app.
Here are some tips for increasing your chances of winning the Powerball jackpot:
- Buy more tickets. The more tickets you buy, the more chances you have of winning. However, keep in mind that the odds of winning the jackpot are still very slim, even if you buy multiple tickets.
- Play in a group pool. This is a great way to buy more tickets without spending too much money. Just be sure to have a written agreement with the other members of the pool before you start playing.
- Choose a variety of numbers. Don’t just pick all odd numbers or all even numbers, and don’t pick all low numbers or all high numbers. Try to mix up your numbers as much as possible.
- Avoid picking popular numbers. Popular numbers are more likely to be chosen by other players, so if you win, you will have to share the jackpot with more people. Instead, try picking numbers that are less popular.
- Use a random number generator. If you can’t decide which numbers to pick, try using a random number generator. This will give you a completely random set of numbers, which could increase your chances of winning.
It is also important to remember that there is no guaranteed way to win the Powerball jackpot. The lottery is a game of chance, and there is no strategy that can guarantee a win. However, the tips above can help you increase your chances of winning.
The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are slim, but they are better than the odds of winning the lottery without playing.
If you are playing Powerball, good luck! You never know when you might be the lucky winner of a life-changing jackpot.