Piers Morgan has raged at the Health Secretary claiming more needs to be done to protect care workers in Britain amid the coronavirus crisis. It comes as the Health Secretary announced a new badge for care workers who are part of the fight against the potentially deadly virus. Writing on Twitter, the GMB host said: “WTF? Care workers are chronically short of PPE as 1000s of residents are dying of coronavirus and Matt Hancock says he’s giving them all a b****y BADGE?
“This is not the Thick Of It, Health Secretary, this is real life & death.
“Stop patronising these heroes and get them PPE”.
During Wednesday’s briefing, Mr Hancock said a supply network of “unprecedented scale” would help get personal protective equipment to care home staff.
And he announced a new “single brand” with a badge for care workers, which he said may help them access similar perks to NHS staff.
At this difficult time for frontline doctors and nurses, sign up here to show your support now to our brave NHS Heroes.
Piers Morgan raged at Matt Hancock over the care workers badge pledge
The Government was criticsed over the speed it took to get PPE to the front line
Stop patronising these heroes and get them PPE
He said: “This badge will be a badge of honour in a very real sense, allowing social care staff proudly and publicly to identify themselves, just like NHS staff do with that famous blue and white logo.
“I know that many businesses will want to offer the same recognition and benefits as they do wonderfully to the NHS.”
Supermarkets had been asked to give the same priority access to care workers as NHS staff, he said.
Writing in his column for the MailOnline, Mr Morgan let rip into the Government’s handling of the crisis.
READ MORE: Matt Hancock slaps down Channel 4 News host in brutal briefing
UK lockdown is likely to be extended this week
Commenting on the situation on care homes in Britain, Mr Morgan said it is “so catastrophically bad that the Government has no idea how bad it is.”
Mr Morgan also claimed due to the Government’s “appalling negligence” it meant that “Britain’s care homes are now exploding with coronavirus, both among the residents and the heroic care workers trying to look after them, often without adequate Personal Protection Equipment”.
He finished by adding: “The first duty of any government is to keep its people safe and to protect public health. This government has spectacularly failed in that duty during this crisis so far.
“The only question now is how many lives will be lost and how many more will be economically blighted for years.”
Coronavirus news: UK Space Agency launches ambitious plan [REVEALED]
Car insurance firm Hastings says they are supporting customers [INSIGHT]
Britons DIVIDED over wearing face masks in coronavirus fight [POLL RESULTS]
Matt Hancock speaking at today’s press conference
During the daily press conference at Downing Street, Mr Hancock denied suggestions that the lives of younger people had been prioritised at the expense of those in care homes.
The Health Secretary insisted: “No, neither of those things is the case.”
Mr Hancock added one of the first things discovered about COVID-19 was that the elderly were vulnerable to the disease.
He said: “Therefore it was clear that, especially for care settings supporting older people – and it’s also true for care settings that support people of working age – we were going to have to have a particular focus.”
The importance of social distancing in Britain
The Government has been repeatedly quizzed over its handling of the coronavirus crisis, particularly over PPE for those on the front line, as well as testing.
Mr Hancock said the UK is now “testing regularly NHS staff across the board” as of last weekend.
He added: “We have started also testing social care staff, 4,100 social care staff have already been referred for tests.”
The Health Secretary also set out a package of measures aimed at combating the spread of coronavirus in care homes.
Boris Johnson is still recovering from coronavirus
The plans included increased testing and improved access to protective equipment.
Hinting lockdown measures would be extended further, Mr Hancock said: “We cannot let up in our efforts, we cannot let go of the hard work that’s been done so far.
“This shared sacrifice – and I know it’s a sacrifice – is starting to work but we will not lift these measures until it is safe to do so.”
It comes as the UK death toll sadly reached 12,868, as a result of coronavirus.
Nearly 100,000 people have contracted the potentially deadly virus in Britain, the Department of Health and Social Care confirmed on Wednesday.