Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have reached an agreement on a two-fight deal
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have reached an agreement in principle on a two-fight agreement, according to Eddie Hearn. The highly-anticipated heavyweight meeting, which would unify the division, is unlikely to take place until next year because of dates in the diary.
WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belt holder Joshua has a postponed fight against Kubrat Pulev, while Fury has the trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder, who he crushed in February to claim the WBC title, in the pipeline. ‘The Gypsy King’ also has the mandatory challenge from Dillian Whyte to deal with by February.
AJ’s promoter Hearn told Sky Sports: “We’re making great progress. There is still a lot to overcome. We are looking at venues and dates.
“We have the Dillian Whyte mandatory which is due before this fight.
“It’s fair to say [Joshua and Fury] are in agreement regarding the financial terms of the fight. We’ve been talking to [Fury’s management team] MTK, giving them the assurances from Joshua’s side that all the details on the structure of the deal is approved from our side. And it is from Fury’s side, as well.
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are finally set to face off
“We’re in a good place. It’s fair to say that, in principle, both guys have agreed to that fight. Two fights.
“[There’s] a lot to overcome in the meantime. We’re moving in the right direction. I’m confident that both guys have given their blessing for the fight to go ahead.
“The point of Fury, Joshua and the teams agreeing to the structure of the deal? The first fight could happen next summer. It will be 2021.
“There is a big period of time where Whyte should get his shot at the title. That’s important to us.
“The main positive news is that Joshua and Fury have agreed to a two-fight deal, in essence.
“The most difficult part of any deal is the financial element. I believe we’re in a great place where both guys have agreed to what that should be. We have not signed contracts because there are still things to be worked out.
“We’re pushing towards a place where they can be drafted, for 2021.
“Both guys are in agreement. The structure of the deal has been put forward, and agreed to by both parties.
“There is a model in place that both parties are happy with.
“It’s the biggest fight ever in British boxing. It doesn’t get bigger, and there will never be a bigger fight in our generation. Two guys, very different, who fight differently, have experienced different things and have come back from adversity.”
Anthony Joshua won back his belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in December
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren previously revealed an NDA had been signed with a country to host the fight.
“We have no problem with it,” Warren told Good Morning Britain last week. “We signed an NDA with a country that is hopefully about to make an offer and we have no problem with it.
“Tyson wants to fight but I don’t think the other side do.
“It is just lip service. We want to get it on and the British public want to see it.
“I have just got a feeling in my bones and I’m hearing behind the scenes that they don’t really want the fight.”
Tyson Fury demolished Deontay Wilder in February
Joshua sparked concern ahead of his postponed bout with Pulev when he was spotted wearing a knee brace and riding an electric mobility scooter at a Black Lives Matter rally last Saturday.
He said: “Respect for the supporters concerned about my leg.
“I buss my knee running miles in the woods.
“Doc said take all weight off it for two/three weeks.
“Still training, still active, still punching. Two weeks to [go], then it’s off.”