Apex Legends Update size explained
Gamers are reporting that their Apex Legends updates are getting hit by “Preparing Stuck” error messages tonight. And it probably doesn’t help that the patch size is considerably larger than many thought it would be. Today’s Apex Legends update size has been confirmed to be over 30GB on most platforms, which is big for an event and meta change patch.
However, Respawn has explained why they have released such a massive update today, revealing that it’s part of a longer-term plan.
According to the development team, this week’s Apex Legends download is big but it will make it possible for future patches to be smaller.
A message from the team explains: “The System Override Collection Event is now live on all platforms through March 17.
“As an FYI, players will notice this patch size is larger than most. This was done so that future patch sizes will be significantly smaller than what they’ve traditionally been.”
So that’s some good news for fans who have grown tired of large downloads taking up their precious gaming time.
It may also hint that Respawn has plans for a range of new content to be going live during Season 4.
Why else would you need to reduce download sizes if you didn’t have big plans?
The one problem with today’s Apex Legends update is that many players have started seeing their download getting stuck.
Gamers have seen no progress on-screen, even after resetting their machines, with Origin flagged as a platform hit with the problem.
“I’ve been stuck on preparing for 50 minutes, even reset my PC and no other things downloading and it’s still preparing while my mates have the update Any help or ideas?”
From what has been shared so far, this problem is not affecting all gamers and remains a more isolated issue.
And we would expect Respawn to share some kind of workaround later tonight if the problem does not subside after the first wave of downloads has been completed.
Today’s Apex Legends update includes a new limited-time event which runs until March 17 and meta changes, details of which can be found below:
Limited Time Mode – Deja Loot
Deja Loot is a unique take on the Apex games where “random” is a dirty word. A glitch in the system has caused all loot to spawn in the same location every match for the duration of the event. Even the plane path and circle locations will be fixed for this mode, which will change on a daily basis while the loot location stays the same for the whole event.
Features new equipment type: Evo Shield [see below for details]
The first week will be played on World’s Edge and the second week we’ll go back to Kings Canyon
New equipment type: Evo Shield
When you pick up Evo Shield it will start out weaker than a Common Body Shield (White), but as you do damage to non-downed players throughout the match it can become even stronger than Epic Body Shields (Purple). Evo Shields change color as they progress, but their perpetual distinctive glow will help you identify them. Progress also carries over from person to person, so look forward to some interesting late game scenarios.
To start the Evo Shield will be exclusive to the Deja Loot gamemode and spawn at higher rates; after the event we’ll consider adding the Evo Shield to all matches, so please give us your feedback.
Designer note: The intent is for Bloodhound to use their tactical as they are approaching towns pre-combat versus reacting while in a fight.
- Increased the scan distance for Eye of the Allfather by 3x.
- Increased time to activate: .4s -> .8s
- Increased duration of scan: 2s -> 3s
- Gun Shield health reduced: 75 -> 50.
- Primary weapons will now automatically reload while in drone view.
- Base inventory slots increased 8 -> 10.
- Common Backpack: expands inventory to 12 slots.
- Rare Backpack: expands inventory to 14 slots.
- Epic Backpack: expands inventory to 16 slots.
- Grenade stacks reduced to 2 -> 1.
- Light / Heavy / Energy ammo stacks reduced from 80 -> 60.
- Syringe and Shield Cell stacks reduced from 6 -> 4.
- Med Kit and Shield Battery stacks reduced from 3 -> 2.
- Mag size reduced from 6 -> 5.
- Increased reload time from 2.5s -> 2.65s.
- Increased reload time with empty mag from 3.5s -> 3.6s.
- Slightly increased the scale of the blast pattern from 1.6 -> 1.7.
- Base damage increased from 65 -> 70
- Reduced time it takes to rechamber from 1.85s -> 1.75s.