Mr Johnson said the Government is “ready to provide support in any way we can”. He added Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the UK stands in solidarity with Lebanon. It comes ater videos of a huge mushroom cloud rising above the Middle Eastern city were shared on social media just after 6pm local time (3pm GMT) on Tuesday.
At least 100 people were killed and 2,700 injured, with bodies buried in the rubble, officials said.
Authorities in Lebanon are yet to announce the cause of the explosion.
In a tweet, Mr Johnson said: “The pictures and videos from Beirut tonight are shocking.
“All of my thoughts and prayers are with those caught up in this terrible incident.
Boris Johnson confirmed British nationals caught in the blast
Beirut explosion: 2,700 people were injured, with bodies buried in the rubble
“The UK is ready to provide support in any way we can, including to those British nationals affected.”
All staff at the British embassy in Beirut are accounted for, but some have sustained “non-life-threatening injuries”.
A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: “All Embassy staff are accounted for.
“A small number have sustained non-life-threatening injuries and where necessary are receiving medical attention.”
Donald Trump claimed the blast was a ‘bomb’
In a tweet, Mr Raab said: “My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the devastating explosion in #Beirut today.
“The UK stands in solidarity with the people of Lebanon and is ready to offer help and support, including to those British nationals impacted.”
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said in a tweet: “The images of explosions in Beirut are deeply worrying. Our thoughts are with those affected, the emergency services and the people of Lebanon.”
Former chancellor Sajid Javid tweeted to say his “thoughts and prayers” were with the people of Lebanon.
London mayor Sadiq Khan said the city stood with Beirut amid “truly horrifying images” emerging from Beirut.
Liberal Democrat acting leader Sir Ed Davey said in a tweet there were “truly awful scenes and in a city that has already seen so much heartbreak”.
Tuesday’s blast at port warehouses storing highly explosive material was the most powerful in years in Beirut, which has already reeling from an economic crisis and a surge in coronavirus infections.
President Michel Aoun said that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilisers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures, and he said that was “unacceptable”.
Beirut explosion: The cause of the blast is being investigated
He called for an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
Officials did not say what caused the blaze that set off the blast. A security source and local media said it was started by welding work being carried out on a hole in the warehouse.
“What we are witnessing is a huge catastrophe,” the head of Lebanon’s Red Cross George Kettani told broadcaster Mayadeen.
“There are victims and casualties everywhere.”
All staff at the British embassy in Beirut are accounted for
Hours after the blast, a fire still blazed in the port district, casting an orange glow across the night sky as helicopters hovered and ambulance sirens sounded across the capital.
The blast revived memories of a 1975-90 civil war and its aftermath, when Lebanese endured heavy shelling, car bombings and Israeli air raids. Some residents thought an earthquake had struck.
Dazed, weeping and injured people walked through streets searching for relatives.
“The blast blew me off metres away. I was in a daze and was all covered in blood. It brought back the vision of another explosion I witnessed against the U.S. embassy in 1983,” said Huda Baroudi, a Beirut designer.
Source Daily Express :: UK Feed