The Prime Minister has been moved out of intensive care with his condition improving.
Mr Johnson was moved into the intensive care unit earlier this week, but has been making progress, and has tonight been moved back to the hospital ward for close monitoring.
A Downing Street spokesman said: “The Prime Minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery.”
Mr Johnson was admitted to St Thomas’s Hospital in London on Sunday evening a persistent high temperature and cough.
He was then rushed to intensive care just 24 hours later, where he has since spent three nights receiving treatment and under close observation.
Downing Street had earlier said Mr Johnson’s condition “continues to improve” in intensive care, where he has spent three nights while being treated for coronavirus.
His official spokesman said the Prime Minister had a “good night” in St Thomas’ Hospital in London and thanks the NHS for the “brilliant care” he has received.
Mr Johnson was said to be continuing with “standard oxygen treatment”.
The spokesman said: “The Prime Minister had a good night and continues to improve in intensive care,” his spokesman said as he gave an update from the hospital.
“He’s in good spirits.”
During the daily press briefing on the UK’s battle with coronavirus, Dominic Raab, who is deputising for the Prime Minister, was asked if he had spoken to Mr Johnson since stepping up in his absence.
The Foreign Secretary replied: “Not yet, I think it’s important particularly while he’s in intensive care to let him focus on the recovery.
“We in the Government have got this covered.
“I chaired the Cobra meeting that I have just come from, we are pursuing all the different strands of our strategy to defeat the coronavirus and I’m confident we’ll get there.”
This is a breaking story…more to follow