Home World Canada shooting: Multiple victims as police launch manhunt for shooter – run...

Canada shooting: Multiple victims as police launch manhunt for shooter – run and hide

The shooting took place in a rural community of Nova Scotia, Portapique, which has a thriving farming community. Police have now caught a suspect believed to be behind the mass shooting. Gabriel Wortman, 51, is now in custody and investigations are ongoing.

The man had fled the scene, prompting police to urge nearby residents to stay indoors and lock their doors while they tried to track down the suspect.

They described the suspect as armed and dangerous, advising people not to approach him. 

A nearby hospital had been placed on lockdown, according to local media reports.

- Advertisement -

A manhunt is underway for the Canada shooter (Image: Twitter)

The suspect is 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman (Image: Twitter)

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) tweeted: “51-year-old Gabriel Wortman is the suspect in our active shooter investigation in Portapique. There are several victims.

“He is considered armed & dangerous. If you see him, call 911. DO NOT approach.”

Police were alerted to a firearms incident at approximately 11:30pm local time on Saturday.

They asked people in the area of Portapique Beach Road, Bay Shore Road and Five Houses Road to avoid outside areas, and to stay home with their doors locked.

READ MORE: Canada shooting: One dead and ‘many injured’ in Ottawa attack

- Advertisement -

The RCMP tweeted concerning the incident (Image: Twitter)

Police have told nearby residents to call the 911 emergency line if they spot anyone on their property.

RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Lisa Croteau told CBC: “If possible, go into the basement, we just have an unfolding situation – a person with a firearm.

“We would like everybody to stay safe and we will provide more updates when available.”

DON’T MISS
Shark horror: Researchers have close encounter with massive 12ft beast [ANALYSIS]
Nova Scotia travel: The 8 best things to do on a road trip [INSIGHT]
Canada pressures US to provide more crucial coronavirus medical kit [REVEALED]

The incident happened in Nova Scotia, in a small principality called Portapique (Image: Getty)

Those in the surrounding area have been ordered to stay inside and lock all doors (Image: Google Maps)

Firefighters of Nova Scotia wrote on Facebook that the situation was ongoing and advised residents to follow police advice. 

The post read: “This is still an active situation. Lockdown remains in place. Reports are indicating that police have locked down the area in a very large perimeter.

“As noted elsewhere, there have been reports of multiple fires throughout the night.

“Please remain in your houses with the doors locked until directed otherwise by the RCMP on scene.”

Local resident Mike MacKay said the situation at present is “very uncomfortable”.

Mr McKay said he was unable to sleep overnight after police cars frequently patrolled the Portapique Beach Road in a hunt for the alleged shooter. 

He said: “We saw a fire down the road, and thought that’s all that it was. Then we saw a second fire and a third fire.”

The RCMP are responsible for keeping the Canadian people safe (Image: Getty)

Mr MacKay said it was hours later he found out it was an active shooter situation.

He added: “You’re on edge. It’s a small community. It becomes quite a concern.”

Portapique is a small, rural community located in Colchester County. It is nearby to Truro, a shire town in central Nova Scotia.

This is a breaking news story. More to follow…

Additional reporting by Rebekah Evans

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Popular