Coronavirus expert Yan Li-Meng said he believes the Chinese government knew about the new coronavirus outbreak well before they acknowledged it publicly, and ignored work that could have saved half a million of lives.
“This is a huge pandemic we have seen in the world,” Yan Li-Meng told Bill Hemmer on US show Bill Hemmer reports.
“It’s more than anything we’ve known in human history. So, the timing is very, very important.
“If we can stop it early, we can save lives.”
She told Mr Hemmer that the Beijing government knew in December more than 40 citizens had already been infected with the virus.
A Hong Kong virologist has claimed tha the Chinese government censored her work
Coronavirus expert Yan Li-Meng said he believes the Chinese government knew about the new coronavirus outbreak well before they acknowledged it publicly
Miss Yan also said that “human-to-human transmissions were already occurring at that time.”
In a separate interview, the virologist went on to claim that her supervisors ignored research she was doing at the onset of the pandemic.
Miss Yan said she believes the research could have saved lives should the supervisors have acknowledged it.
However, the virologist fled to the US earlier on this year.
She said: “I have to hide because I know how they treat whistleblowers, and as a whistleblower here I want to tell the truth of COVID-19 and the origin of the SARS-2 COVID virus.”
Miss Yan told Mr Hemmer that the Beijing government knew in December more than 40 citizens had already been infected with the virus
This comes after an intelligence dossier compiled by the Five Eyes intelligence agencies was leaked to an Australian newspaper in May.
The Five Eyes is an intelligence alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the US.
These countries are parties to the multilateral UKUSA Agreement, a treaty for joint cooperation in signals intelligence.
The dossier backed up the claims, stating that Chinese authorities denied that the virus could be spread between humans until Jan 20.
China reports NEW unknown disease spreading across Asian country [UPDATE]
China fury: Donald Trump warned West has ‘dug its own grave’ [INSIGHT]
China foot and mouth outbreak: Chinese government admits deadly cases [ANALYSIS]
Miss Yan said that her supervisors ignored research she was doing at the onset of the pandemic
The virologist believes the research could have saved lives should the supervisors have acknowledged it
The agencies say this is “despite evidence of human-human transmission from early December.”
As late as Jan 14, the World Health Organization had stated that there was “no clear evidence” for human-to-human transmission of COVID-19.
Miss Yan told Hemmer that she has records of communications with others in China.
Miss Yan made it clear she was in fear for her life in the emotional interview.
Coronavirus cases LIVE
She said: “I know how they treat whistleblowers. They want To keep people silent if they want to reveal the truth, not only about COVID-19, but also for the other things happening in China.”
Miss Yan cited an example of China’s handling of the SARS pandemic of 2003.
She said a senior doctor Professor Jiang Yanyong had revealed evidence of a cover-up in Beijing along with another physician’s team in Shanghai.
Miss Yan said the Shanghai team reviewed the sequence of the SARS-COVID-2 “for the first time in the world” and published it in February this year.
Yan Li-Meng fled to the US earlier on this year
However, she added: “Their lab was shut down by the government.
“I am waiting to tell all the things I know, provide all the evidence to the US Government.
“And I want them to understand, and I also want the US people to understand how terrible this is. It is not what you have seen … This is something very different.
“We have to chase the true evidence and get the real evidence because this is a key part to stop this pandemic. We don’t have much time.”