Culture Minister Oliver Dowden announced on Tuesday that the UK has banned Huawei from its 5G network. All equipment from the Chinese telecoms firm must be removed by 2027. Huawei has insisted that it is a private company, and does not send personal data to the Chinese Communist Party.
Liu Xiaoming, the Chinese ambassador to the UK, has condemned the UK’s decision to remove Huawei from its 5G network.
In a tweet, he said: “Disappointing and wrong decision by the UK on Huawei.”
“It has become questionable whether the UK can provide an open, fair and non-discriminatory business environment for companies from other countries.”
Huawei has also responded to the ban, claiming the “disappointing” move was “bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone”.
Beijing had also previously threatened Downing Street with “consequences” if Huawei was excluded from the 5G network.
China has hit back at the UK for banning Huawei tech
Oliver Dowden announced that Huawei tech will not b e allowed in Britain’s 5G network from 2021
Under the plans announced by Mr Dowden, it will be illegal for British telecoms companies to buy the Chinese firms tech by the end of the year.
The Culture Secretary also said that all 5G tech from the company must be removed from Britain’s network by 2027.
In January, Huawei was give the go-ahead to operate in the UK by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
Since then, the company has been labelled as a “high risk vendor” by British intelligence groups and Tory MPs have threatened rebellion if the company was not excluded from 5G network plans.
China’s ambassador to the UK has slammed the decision as “disappointing and wrong”
Huawei was labelled as a “high risk vendor” due to it’s links with the CCP
The National Security Council, chaired by Mr Johnson, made their decision on the telecoms giant on Tuesday morning.
The ban on Huawei was introduced after pressure from the US, who have sanctioned the company repeatedly for being a threat to national security.
Woody Johnson, US ambassador to the UK, welcomed the decision.
He said: “Britain’s decision to protect its national security by banning Huawei from its 5G network is also a win for fair trade and human rights.”
Boris Johnson facing backlash from China as UK prepares to BAN Huawei [INSIGHT]
Huawei warning: Biggest risk to UK security exposed [ANALYSIS]
China news: Beijing would be ‘foolish’ to enrage UK with cyber attack [INTERVIEW]
US President Donald Trump’s national security adviser Robert O’Brien also welcomed the news.
He said: “The reported UK action reflects a growing international consensus that Huawei and other untrusted vendors pose a threat to national security, as they remain beholden to the Chinese Communist Party.
“We look forward to working with the UK, as well as our many other partners and allies, to spur innovation, promote vendor diversity in the 5G supply chain, and ensure 5G security free from dangerous manipulations.”
Mr O’Brien was flown to France to meet with Sir Mark Sedwill ahead of the NSC’s meeting on Huawei.
The US sent national security adviser Robert O’Brien to France to help sway the UK’s decision on Huawei
It follows the UK offering nearly three million Hong Kongers a “path to citizenship”
It is the latest move against Beijing by the UK Government, with tensions building between the two nations.
China passed a new security law on Hong Kong last week allowing the extradition of political opponents.
In response, Mr Johnson and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announced that nearly 3 million Hong Kong citizens will be offered a “path to citizenship”.
The move enraged Beijing, who warned the UK not to “interfere” in Chinese affairs.