email@example.com (Aaron Stokes)
UFC star Conor McGregor has denied any accusation of misconduct after being arrested in France on Saturday.
The Irishman is said to have been arrested for alleged attempted sexual assault and alleged indecent exposure in Corsica.
According to the AFP news agency, McGregor was arrested and taken into custody following an incident today.
A statement from the prosecutor read: “Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr. Conor Anthony Mac Gregor [sic] was the subject of a hearing by the police.”
McGregor’s people issued a swift denial of the claims, telling the Daily Star Sport: “Conor McGregor vigorously denies any accusation of misconduct.
“He has been interviewed and released.”
McGregor has been in Corsica preparing for an 180km voyage to raise awareness for water safety.
Princess Charlene of Monaco was set to start the trip alongside the UFC man today – but he has been forced to withdraw.
The 32-year-old has been enjoying a break in the Mediterranean on his luxury yacht with fiancee Dee Devlin and their two children, and were interrupted by USADA testers earlier this week.
The Irishman told his Twitter followers: “What’s going on here @ufc?
“USADA have just arrived to my yacht this morning for testing? I’ve retired guys!
“But go on then, I’ll allow them test me. It’s all natural here baby! “Forever and always, God Bless Folded hands.
“180km across the Mediterranean Sea tomorrow! LET’S GO!!”
McGregor said earlier in the summer: “I’ve decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!”
UFC boss Dana White said when asked if he had spoken to McGregor in June: “No. Conor McGregor is retired.”
Having previously said of Nate Diaz: “I don’t chase guys that don’t want to fight.
“I don’t chase guys. We offer guys three fights a year.
“You get three fights a year. I’ve got a roster full of people that want to fight.”