Footage shows a man coughing before collapsing in Canary Wharf prompting fears of the deadly coronavirus. The video, obtained by the Daily Star, shows a man on his hands and knees coughing, with workers crowding around him. The man appears to have taken off his jacket, as he covers his mouth during the incident.
Footage also shows the man later laying on the floor inside the busy shopping mall.
A security guard also appears to walk near the man while he coughs – as some onlookers quickly speed past him.
The incident is thought to have happened at around 6:20pm on Monday.
A source told Daily Star: “I was sitting at Caffe Nero and all of a sudden a man started coughing really loud.
“He sounded really sick and you can hear from all those chesty coughs, people walking past him literally ran away.”
A statement from Canary Wharf Group read: “We do not have any evidence to suggest this is related to coronavirus.
“There has not yet been any confirmed coronavirus case on the Canary Wharf estate.
“Nonetheless we are carefully monitoring the situation and taking precautionary steps where possible, for example, we have positioned additional hand sanitisers across our public spaces and retail malls.”
The footage will likely heighten fears in the capital, with some offices in London’s Canary Wharf closing on Wednesday as an employee awaits test results for the virus.
More than 300 staff members of American oil company Chevron were sent home after an employee reported flu symptoms after returning from a country battling coronavirus.
Traders, exploration and refining unit staff were instructed to work from home until the test results have determined whether the employee has the virus.
The office is located at 1 Westferry Circus in Canary Wharf, London.
READ MORE: Coronavirus advice: How to prepare for coronavirus
In a statement, a company spokesperson said: “Chevron continues to monitor the situation very closely, utilizing the guidance of international and local health authorities.
“Our primary concern is the health and safety of our employees and we are taking precautionary measures to reduce their risk of exposure.”
It comes after various schools across the UK closed after potential connections to coronavirus.
Some staff and pupils were told to stay at home after returning from ski trips to northern Italy, where several towns in the Lombardy and Veneto regions remain on lockdown.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told MPs on Wednesday that 7,132 people in the UK have so far been tested.
Of these, 13 have tested positive, of whom eight have been discharged from hospital.
London’s Canary Wharf in coronavirus panic: Hundreds sent home [WARNING]
Coronavirus warning: COVID-19 outbreak ‘just the tip of the iceberg’ [VIDEO]
Coronavirus travel warning: Tourists coming through different routes [UPDATE]
Mr Hancock said the NHS is looking to extend home testing while a new public information campaign will be launched.
Speaking in the Commons, Mr Hancock said: “We now have testing sites at all A&E facilities, as far as we know, across England.
“But we’re also planning to introduce home testing and some of this has started already so that people don’t have to go to the pods in front of A&E which have been put there to ensure that people don’t actually go into A&E where they might infect others.
“Home testing is the safest place to be tested because then you don’t have to go anywhere, and that will allow us to roll out testing to a much larger number of people as well.”
The Foreign Office in the UK has updated its guidance on travel to Italy, advising against all but essential travel to 10 towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’ Euganeo).
Italy remains the biggest hit country in Europe after the outbreak quickly spread across the country, forcing towns into lockdown.