Coronavirus LIVE: Medical centre in emergency SHUT DOWN -Fears of new case of deadly virus

4 min


94
13 shares, 94 points

The Department of Health declared coronavirus a “serious and imminent threat” to public health this morning as it introduced new powers to deal with the spread of the virus. Under the new measures, the Government can now forcibly quarantine people with the deadly disease. It comes after a man staying at an isolation facility, following his evacuation from Wuhan, threatened to walk out.

The patient staying at Arrowe Park hospital, Wirral, told medics he was going to leave before completing 14 days of quarantine after his return from the Chinese city, MailOnline reports.

Government sources said those who returned to the UK on the evacuation flights on January 31 were given a “very clear choice” and had to sign contracts saying they would remain in isolation for a fortnight.

It follows the announcement that the number of confirmed UK cases of coronavirus doubled to eight, as the chief medical officer confirms four more patients have the deadly disease.

In a statement, Professor Chris Whitty said: “Four further patients in England have tested positive for novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the UK to eight.

“The new cases are all known contacts of a previously confirmed UK case, and the virus was passed on in France.

“Experts at Public Health England continue to work hard tracing patient contacts from the UK cases. They successfully identified these individuals and ensured the appropriate support was provided.

“The patients have been transferred to specialist NHS centres at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and The Royal Free hospitals, and we are now using robust infection control measures to prevent further spread of the virus. The NHS is extremely well prepared to manage these cases and treat them, and we are working quickly to identify any further contacts these patients have had.”

FOLLOW EXPRESS.CO.UK FOR LIVE UPDATES:

Countdown blunder: Rachel Riley's huge mistake after replacing Carol Vorderman exposed

Coronavirus victims can now be forcibly quarantined by the Government (Image: Getty)

4.45pm update: Two healthcare workers among those diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK

Two healthcare workers are among those diagnosed with the coronavirus in the UK, Public Health England has said.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK had doubled to eight as the Government declared the virus a serious and imminent threat.

Public Health England Medical Director Yvonne Doyle said: “We are now working urgently to identify all patients and other healthcare workers who may have come into close contact, and at this stage we believe this to be a relatively small number.”

4.10pm update: Medical centre in Northampton forced to shut down

Brackley Medical Centre in Northampton has announced it has been forced to close its Washington House facility amid fears of an outbreak of the deadly coronavirus.

In a statement the centre said: “Due to a potential coronavirus incident, we have had to close the Washington House site until the premises is cleaned and cleared as a precautionary measure. We will update as soon as we can.”

3.25pm update: Two more patients being treated at Royal Free Hospital

Two patients at the Royal Free Hospital have been taken for treatment at its high consequence infectious disease treatment centre, the hospital has confirmed.

In a statement the London hospital said: “We are treating an additional two patients with Wuhan novel coronavirus at the Royal Free Hospital (RFH), which means there are a total of three patients with the condition at the RFH.

“The RFH is one of a small number of specialist centres in England for treating infectious diseases such as coronavirus.

“As the patients are being treated in isolation, there is no risk to any other patients or visitors.

“All of our services remain open as usual, so if you have a hospital appointment please attend as planned.”

Countdown blunder: Rachel Riley's huge mistake after replacing Carol Vorderman exposed

A second plane landed in the UK from Wuhan yesterday (Image: PA)

1.42pm update: Brighton GP practice closes after staff member tests positive

A GP practice in Brighton has been temporarily closed after a staff member tests positive for coronavirus. 

Patients at the city’s County Oak medical centre have been advised to contact the NHS 111 phone service if they have concerns.

12.53pm update: 1 in 5 known cases result in death, report finds

Just under a fifth of known cases of coronavirus in China may be resulting in death, according to a report by Imperial College London. 

Researchers from the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis have found that the case fatality ratio (CFR) for people in Hubei province is 18 percent.

They estimate the CFR is much lower in travellers outside China, between 1.2 and 5.6 percent, and the overall CFR in all infections, both asymptomatic and symptomatic, is around approximately one percent.

11.45am update: Chinese leader Xi Jinping makes first public outing in weeks

Chinese leader Xi Jinping has made his first public appearance in weeks. 

He was filmed inspecting the prevention and control work in Beijing on Monday afternoon. 

The President visisted residents and staff in Chaoyang District to learn about the situation from frontline workers.

It is the first time he has been seen in public for weeks.

Countdown blunder: Rachel Riley's huge mistake after replacing Carol Vorderman exposed

The countries best and worst prepared for an epidemic (Image: Express)

11.15am update: Kazakhstan to evacuate its citizens from Wuhan

Kazakhstan will send two planes to China today and tomorrow to evacuate its citizens.

Authorities have already evacuated 83 people from Wuhan.

10.55am update: 130 cases of coronavirus on quarantined cruise ship

The number of cases of coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, docked in Yokohama, Japan, has reached 130.

10.40am update: Experts fear virus could ‘wipe out millions’ in North Korea

Coronavirus is believed to have reached North Korea, as local news sites report numerous cases and deaths caused by the deadly disease.

But Kim Jong-un’s regime remains steadfast that the state has no confirmed cases.

Numerous experts have warned North Korea would not be able to cope with a widespread epidemic, as the state does not have the necessary resources to fight it.

Professor Kelly, from Pusan National University, wrote: “North Korea lacks the doctors, hospitals, reserves of medicine, modern medical devices, and so on to respond adequately and prevent a spiraling spread.

“An epidemic would be, as the regime itself realized, a matter of national survival.”

Jean Lee, the director off the Hyundai Motor-Korea Foundation Center for Korean History, agreed that the regime would be unable to cope with a full blown outbreak.

He told CNN: “North Korea has such a limited supply of basic medicine that public health officials need to focus on preventative medicine.

“They would be ill-equipped to deal with any kind of epidemic.”

(Additional reporting by Emily Ferguson)


Like it? Share with your friends!

94
13 shares, 94 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
18
hate
confused confused
10
confused
fail fail
4
fail
fun fun
2
fun
geeky geeky
20
geeky
love love
14
love
lol lol
16
lol
omg omg
10
omg
win win
4
win

Read exclusive latest news on entertainment, music, gaming and more topics with unprecedented coverage from around the UK and US.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.