Home U.K. Coronavirus map LIVE: Boris makes bleak admission on 'wretched COVID' - UK...

Coronavirus map LIVE: Boris makes bleak admission on 'wretched COVID' – UK battle NOT over

Although he remained cautious, Mr Johnson also stated he was confident the UK can now deal with any future outbreaks. The Prime Minister said: “Bit by bit this incredible country is getting back on his feet and recovering from this crisis. “And we in this government are committed…to do absolutely everything in our power to help.” A potential coronavirus vaccine has failed in clinical trials after the latest set of results showed the drug, Kevzara, to show adverse effects on patients. The potential vaccine, which is produced by Sanofi and Regeneron, will cease to continue with the drug after failing COVID-19 treatment trials. It will now be removed from major studies, French drugmaker Sanofi has confirmed. 

{%=o.title%}

]]>

It had been hoped the medication, which is used for rheumatoid arthritis could be a possible treatment against COVID-19 earlier this summer before failing the latest batch of trials. 

Sanofi’s Global Head of Research and Development John Reed said: “Although this trial did not yield the results we hoped for, we are proud of the work that was achieved by the team to further our understanding of the potential use of Kevzara for the treatment of COVID-19.”

Currently, there are several vaccines in production across the globe with the UK also establishing, the Vaccine Taskfroce to develop a possible drug. 

However, some have now warned the rush to immunise the population could in fact increase the risk of the pandemic. 

Published in the Lancet medical journal, professor Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group warned an inadequate vaccine is worse than no vaccine. 

He said: “Deployment of a weakly effective vaccine could actually worsen the Covid-19 pandemic if authorities wrongly assume it causes a substantial reduction in risk, or if vaccinated individuals wrongly believe they are immune, hence reducing implementation of, or compliance with, other Covid-19 control measures.”

- Advertisement -

The group has also advised all scientists to adhere to the World Health Organisation’s guidance on vaccines. 

FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES:

Coronavirus Live: Coronavirus vaccine fails trials (Image: GETTY)

11:30pm update: White House dismisses COVID-19 vaccine fears

The White House has dismissed concerns a vaccine for coronavirus would be approved without completing trials.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said: “The United States will continue to engage our international partners to ensure we defeat this virus, but we will not be constrained by multilateral organizations influenced by the corrupt World Health Organization and China.

“This President will spare no expense to ensure that any new vaccine maintains our own FDA’s gold standard for safety and efficacy, is thoroughly tested, and saves lives.”

- Advertisement -

The dismissal follows a US health official warning about vaccines being released without full testing.

10.15pm update: Ireland records biggest coronavirus spike since May

Ireland has recorded its highest daily rise in new coronavirus infections since May, with 217 new cases reported in 24 hours.

There were no further deaths linked to the virus reported on Tuesday, with the toll since the outbreak began remaining at 1,777.

The total number of infections since the outbreak now stands at 29,025.

9.40pm update: England will not follow Scotland on adding Greece to quarantine list

England is continuing to allow travellers to arrive from Greece without quarantining despite Scotland and Wales acting over concerns of rising coronavirus cases.

The Department for Transport said no change to its rules for England had been made on Tuesday after the Scottish Government told new arrivals to enter 14 days of isolation from Thursday.

- Advertisement -

Wales also began asking arrivals from the Greek island of Zante to begin the period of quarantine.

9.00pm update: Wales imposes 14 day quarantine on arrivals from Zante from TONIGHT

Passengers landing at Cardiff International Airport tonight on a flight from the Greek island of Zante are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days due to the risk of spreading coronavirus. 

8.30pm update: 117 children test positive for coronavirus at school in Scotland

A total of 117 children have tested positive for coronavirus since Scotland’s schools reopened last month, the Education Secretary has revealed.

John Swinney announced the number of positive tests for the virus as teachers’ unions spoke out about their ongoing fears over safety inside schools.

Since pupils returned to school in August, a total of 77 youngsters aged between 12 and 17 have been found to have Covid-19, along with 40 children aged between five and 11.

8.00pm update: Sturgeon adds Greece to quarantine list

Travellers from Greece will be required to self-isolate at home for 14 days on arrival in Scotland from Thursday.

The restrictions will come into force from 4am on Thursday.

7.15pm update: US reports 32,000 new coronavirus cases – 428 deaths

The US has reported a further 32,087 people have tested positive for coronavirus with an additional 428 deaths.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there are now 6,004,443 confirmed cases of coronavirus with 183,050 fatalities since the start of the pandemic.

6.50pm update: Sturgeon confirms she is affected by new coronavirus restrictions

Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed the new coronavirus restrictions on households in Glasgow will also affect herself.

The SNP leader said: “I know how unwelcome this news this evening will be for people who live in these areas.

“I know that because I am one of you, I live in Glasgow. So, these rules apply to me as they do to everyone else in these areas.”

Nicola Sturgeon has put new restrictions on households around Glasgow (Image: GETTY)

6.30pm update: Sturgeon tightens restrictions around Glasgow following coronavirus spike

Nicola Sturgeon has reimposed coronavirus restrictions around Glasgow and western parts of Scotland following a spike in cases.

Restrictions on visiting other households will apply to people living in Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire from midnight.

The First Minister announced the move after 66 new positive tests were recorded in the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde area on Tuesday.

6.00pm update: Class sent home after student tests positive for coronavirus

A class of primary school children in Dublin has been sent home after a youngster tested positive for coronavirus, a principal has confirmed.

The Dublin-based school principal told RTE’s Today a student tested positive for the virus. But the virus was not contracted in the school.

5.10pm update: Coronavirus plan sparks Downing Street CIVIL WAR – fears enraged Chris Whitty to QUIT

Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, has reportedly threatened to resign over the Government’s latest coronavirus plans. 

4.45pm update: Coronavirus cases rise by 1,295 in the UK

The Department for Health has confirmed a further 1,295 positive cases of coronavirus have been diagnosed in the UK as of 9am on Tuesday.

The Department added a further three people had died after testing positive with COVID-19.

Since the start of the pandemic 41,504 people had died in the UK within 28 days of testing positive for coronavirus.

4.15pm update: Hancock says coronavirus vaccine could be available this year

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said a coronavirus vaccine could be available as early as this year.

He told the Commons: “The best-case scenario remains a vaccine this year. While no vaccine technology is certain, since the House last met vaccine trials have gone well.

“The Oxford vaccine continues to be the world leader and we’ve now contracted with six different vaccine providers, so that whichever comes off we can get access in this country.

“While we give vaccine development all our support, we will insist on safety and efficacy.”

Matt Hancock has said ‘everything’ is being done to prevent a second wave (Image: GETTY)

3.50pm update: Hancock says Government doing ‘everything in our power’ to stop second wave

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the Government will do “everything in our power” to prevent a second wave of Covid-19 in the UK.

In a Commons statement, he said: “I said in July that a second wave was rolling across Europe and sadly we’re now seeing an exponential rise in the number of cases in France and Spain.

“And the number of hospitalisations is sadly rising there too.

“We must do everything in our power to protect against a second wave here in the UK.”

3.30pm update: Hancock says track and trace has reached 300,000 people

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said more than 300,000 people who may have unwittingly been transmitting coronavirus had been reached by the test and trace system.

He told the Commons: “NHS test and trace is consistently reaching tens of thousands of people who need to isolate each week. In the latest week’s data, 84.3 percent of contacts were reached and asked to self-isolate where contact details were provided.

“Since its launch, we’ve reached over 300,000 people who may have been unwittingly carrying the virus and transmitting it to ensure that they keep themselves safe and keep their communities safe.”

3.15pm update: Wales records one further coronavirus fatality

Public Health Wales said another person has died having tested positive for coronavirus bringing its total number of deaths since the beginning of the pandemic to 1,596.

The number of cases of COVID-19 in Wales increased by 51, bringing the revised confirmed total to 18,063.

2.26pm update: No new deaths recorded in Scotland 

There were no new deaths recorded in Scotland over the last 24 hours. 

The total number of deaths now stands at 2,494. 

Case numbers also rose by 154 to 20,632. 

2.21pm update: “Still more to come from COVID”

Speaking during a Cabinet meeting this week, the Prime Minister suggested there is more “wretched COVID still to come”. 

He added: “Bit by bit this incredible country is getting back on his feet and recovering from this crisis.

“And we in this government are committed to do absolutely everything in our power to help.”

2.12pm update: 49 new deaths reported in Northern Ireland 

The death toll now stands at 560 according to the Department of Health. 

There were also 461 new cases, taking the total to 7,294. 

1.50pm update: Ofqual considering delaying next year’s exams 

The exams watchdog is considering whether to delay next year’s A-Level and GSCE results. 

This would be in order to give pupilas time to catch up on missed learning due to the pandemic. 

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “We are totally committed to the exams going ahead next year.

“Ofqual then began a consultation on the idea of exams starting after the May half-term.

“Ofqual will set out their final view in due course and we will wait to see what that recommendation is.”

1.15pm update: “People returning to the office in large numbers”

The Prime Minister informed Cabinet this morning, that offices were now seeing a high number of employees returning today. 

He told ministers: “Of course we know that there is still going to be more of this disease, this wretched Covid, still to come and although we know there will be more outbreaks we are also absolutely confident that we are going to be able to deal with those outbreaks.

“Bit by bit, this incredible country is getting back on its feet and recovering from this crisis.”

12.35pm update: French President seeking to ‘re-establish grip’ as nation faces COVID surge

Emmanuel Macron’s most recent measure to tackle the serious surge of COVID-19 infections in France could make life for millions across the European country very “uncomfortable and difficult”. 

From September 1, workers in France will be expected to wear masks in all shared enclosed spaces like corridors and meeting rooms.

BBC correspondent Hugh Schofield explained Emmanuel Macron’s fears as the measures are introduced amid a rise in case.

He said: “There’s a sense that a grip needs to be re-established on the virus at this point in the year when people are going back to schools and work.

“The level of home working is going down.

“The end of the holidays means that people are going back to work.

“So the Government’s long decided since two or three weeks ago that September 1 would be when there is a step up in the kind of normalisation of mask wearing across the country.”

Coronavirus Live: Children will return to school over the next week (Image: GETTY)

12.30pm update: 3,000 NHS staff joined NHS Scotland during pandemic 

Almost 3,000 new staff joined the NHS Scotland as part of emergency measures, according to the latest figures. 

Stastistics showed 2,966 staff joined during the pandemic. 

Of those, 2,423 were nursing students while 515 were final year students. 

11.45am update: Spain’s Prime Minister “worried” over coronavirus 

Spain’s Prime Minister, Pedro Sanchez has said the government is concerned over the spike of cases in Madrid.

Since Friday, there have been 23,000 new cases in the country taking the total to 462,858. 

Speaking on radio Ser, he said: “We are worried about the state of public health and the evolution of the virus in Madrid.

11.04am update: Restrictions imposed in Greece 

Greece has imposed local restrictions on the Greek island of Zante. 

According to the Foreign Office (FCO) the local restrictions include suspending any kind of live events and celebrations such as parties, trade fairs, religious ceremonies, open markets and more.

Other restrictions which have been imposed include prohibiting the operation of all food/catering sector-related shops, services and facilities from midnight until 7am the next day.

Coronavirus: Jeremy Hunt back calls for rapid testing (Image: PA)

10.35am update: Jeremy Hunt backs calls for rapid testing 

Former Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt has backed calls for rapid testing to be used in schools. 

He echoed the comments from professor Neil Ferguson, who said a similar model to that used in germany should be implemented in the UK. 

Mr Hunt told the Today programme: “I think he is right, and the reason he is right is because we know something now we didn’t know back in January, which is that about 70 per cent of the people who transmit coronavirus don’t have any symptoms at all and so that makes it much harder to get public consent for things like sending people back to school or going back to offices and so on because it is a silent transmitter and even a silent killer sometimes.

“The way you get round that is by having very quick, very effective large-scale testing.

    
“I think, in fairness to the Government, it is heading in this direction but we could be much more systematic about it if we really wanted to raise confidence.”

10.33am update: Cases rise by 1,218 in Germany 

The number of cases in Germany has risen to 243,599 while deaths have also increased by four to 9,302. 

9.31am update: Cases in Russia surpass one million 

The total number of cases in Russia has risen to above one million after 4,729 new cases were reported in the last 24 hours. 

A further 123 new deaths have also been confirmed. 

9.17am update: US reports 182,622 deaths

On Monday, the US recorded a further 473 deaths taking the total over 182,000. 

The number of cases also rose by 37,532 to 5,972,356. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said 94 percent of fatalities had come from patients having pre-existing conditions. 

8.54am update: Hospital likley to see increase in patients 

The World Hhealth Organstion’s Europe regional director, Hans Kluge, has indicated hospitals were likely to see an increase of patients over the next few months. 

He said: “Let’s not forget that we’re entering three phenomena – one is the reopening of the schools for the academic year, the second is the flu season and the third is the excess mortality in the elderly population during the winter.

“So I wouldn’t be surprised, unfortunately, if we see an increase in October, especially towards late November of hospital admissions – there’s no reason for panic but we have to be aware.”

Coronavirus: UK cases as of August 31 (Image: Express)

8.25am update: Schools minister urges parents to send children back to school 

Nick Gibb, has urged parents to send their children back to school to catch up on their lost education. 

He also insisted any pupil who tests positive for coronavirus, will be sent home immediately.

He told BBC Breakfast: “I would urge parents to send their children back to school to help them to catch up on the lost education that they will inevitably have suffered during the lockdown period, and schools are doing everything they can to make sure that their pupils and their staff are safe.”  

8.07am update: Boris Johnson facing pressure from Tory backbenchers 

The Prime Minister is facing severe criticism from backbench MPs following the controversy over the return of school and the U-turn on A-level results. 

Many are now demanding reassurances from the Government over how to proceed throughout the remainder of the pandemic. 

One MP told the Daily Mirror: “There’s that element of calamity – and frankly there are people from the Red Wall seats who are getting jittery.

“But not only Red Wall seats, but other people who haven’t got marginal seats like that.”

Coronavirus Live: Cases as of August 31 (Image: Express)

7.50am update: 50,000 at risk of losing jobs 

Tory MP for the Cities of London, Nickie Aiken, has claimed thousands of jobs could be at risk due to the drop in footfall in the centre of London. 

With fewer people visiting the retail sector and due to the drop in international visitors, London’s economy has been severely impacted. 

BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Almost half of the £10 billion annual spend in the West End is from overseas travellers and then the lack of office workers who have not been back at their desks since March, that has a huge effect on the overall turnover of West End shops and hospitality.

“Between about 70-80% – you’re basically looking at about 50,000 job losses retail job losses in West End retail alone.”

7.23am update: Coronavirus vaccine fails trials 

Drugmakers, Sanofi and Regeneron have announced the failure of the potential coronavirus vaccine, Kevzara. 

The drug which is used to treat, rheumatoid arthritis, will not proceed in further clinical trials after showing adverse effects on patients. 

John Reed, Sanofi’s Global Head of Research and Development said: “Although this trial did not yield the results we hoped for, we are proud of the work that was achieved by the team to further our understanding of the potential use of Kevzara for the treatment of COVID-19.

“At Sanofi, we are committed to help combat the global COVID-19 pandemic, including developing vaccine candidates that can be manufactured at large scale.”

(Additional reporting by Bill McLoughlin)

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -
%d bloggers like this: