Health bosses in an area in Liverpool have imposed stricter lockdown measures on a few dozen streets after a potential cluster of COVID-19 infections raised concerns. Residents living in the Princes Park ward, including Toxteth, Dingle and the Canning area close to the city centre, who were previously shielding have been ordered to continue shielding until at least August 4.
While people living there are no longer allowed overnight stays and care home visits have been banned.
An emergency pop-up testing centre has also been set up in the Woolton area and Wavertree and Halewood to avoid an entire city lockdown.
The news comes after it was reported Prime Minister Boris Johnson has ordered officials to work up a plan for avoiding a second national lockdown.
An area in Liverpool is under emergency lockdown measures
Coronavirus cases in the UK mapped
Mr Johnson is considering asking the elderly to shield once again and is mulling lockdown-like conditions for London should there be a second wave of coronavirus infections, The Sunday Telegraph and The Sunday Times said.
It comes after Mr Johnson was forced to announce a slow down of the lockdown easing on Friday, with planned relaxations for the leisure and beauty sectors delayed after a rise in COVID-19 cases was recorded, with prevalence in the community thought to be rising for the first time since May.
FOLLOW EXPRESS.CO.UK BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES
UK coronavirus cases by area
9.09am update: Cluster of coronavirus cases linked to Scots pub under investigation
A cluster of 13 cases of Covid-19 linked to a pub in Aberdeen is being investigated by public health authorities.
NHS Grampian says the cases are associated with The Hawthorn Bar in the city centre.
All those who tested positive are showing only mild symptoms, though the health board says there may be further cases linked to the cluster.
The pub had physical distancing measures in place and contact tracing is being carried out in line with the Scottish Government’s Test and Protect scheme.
Dr Emmanuel Okpo, consultant in public health medicine, said: “Our health protection team are speaking to the confirmed cases, establishing who they have been in contact with and providing further advice on isolation and testing as required.
“We are also carrying out wider contact tracing work, as part of the Test and Protect scheme.
“We cannot rule out the possibility of detecting further cases linked to this cluster.”
9.01am update: Tax rises or budget cuts could pay for coronavirus crisis
Former Tory Cabinet minister David Gauke said he thought tax rises or budget cuts would be used to pay for the Government’s coronavirus pandemic spending.
The ex-chief secretary to the Treasury told Times Radio: “We will have to take it on the chin that our debt will go up, that we’re going to have to live with a higher level of debt for a longer period of time.
“Interest rates are low, debt servicing costs are low, given the size of our debt.”
Melbourne has been put on lockdown
8.31am update: Russia coronavirus cases rise above 850k
Russia reported 5,427 new cases of the coronavirus on Sunday, bringing its nationwide tally to 850,870, the fourth largest caseload in the world.
Russia’s coronavirus taskforce said 70 people had died over the last 24 hours, pushing the official death toll in the country of around 145 million people to 14,128.
7.45am update: Melbourne on lockdown
Australia’s Victoria state has declared a disaster and imposed a nightly curfew for the city of Melbourne as part of its harshest movement restrictions to date to contain a resurgent of the coronavirus.
Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city, is already under a reimposed six-week stay-home order but struggling to rein in the disease, with record numbers of infections of the new coronavirus last week. But on Sunday, Victoria, the second-most populous state, reported 671 infections, one of its highest, and seven COVID-19 deaths.
7.39am update: Tokyo confirms more COVID-19 cases
Tokyo confirmed 292 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, after cases rose by more than 400 in the past two days, public broadcaster NHK said.
Governor Koike Yuriko said on Friday Tokyo could declare a state of emergency if the coronavirus situation in the Japanese capital deteriorates further, as debate deepened over how to respond to record increases in new infections.
Source Daily Express :: UK Feed