Flybe has pulled the plug just weeks after it almost went bust in generally, with the company blaming a fall in demand as a result of the illness, which was first spotted in the Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year, for its decision. Crisis talks were held throughout the course of yesterday proved fruitless, with one airline source saying the coronavirus outbreak had “made a difficult situation worse”. Chief executive Mark Anderson said the Exeter-based company had made “every possible attempt” to avoid collapse but had been “unable to overcome significant funding challenges”.
He added: “The UK has lost one of its greatest regional assets.
“Flybe has been a key part of the UK aviation industry for four decades, connecting regional communities, people and businesses across the entire nation.
“I thank all our partners and the communities we have been privileged to serve. Above all I would like to thank the Flybe team for their incredible commitment and dedication.”
The company said all Flybe flights were immediately grounded and advised all passengers not to travel to airports unless alternative flight arrangements had been made.”
Tourists considering visits overseas will also take careful note of the number of cases in individual countries.
As of yesterday, more than 80,000 of the 93,000 cases worldwide are in China, but there are now 2,502 cases in northern Italy, meaning people planning trips there are likely to be extremely wary.
JUST IN: Coronavirus map LIVE – First British patient reveals agony of virus
“He will be considering a range of factors as to when he thinks is the right time to move from a containment phase to a delay phase.
“We stand ready as and when and, if he does, to do what is necessary.”
Mr Argar said the “overwhelming majority” of cases in the UK were still linked to travel but there was a “small number” that were still being investigated to determine how the individuals became infected.
A survey published on Monday suggested 50 percent of 1,000 Britons suggested 50 percent felt ALL travel to and from the UK should be stopped to slow the spread of coronavirus, with a third are ‘very concerned’ about the virus, and 73 per cent worried about elderly relatives or those considered to be ‘high-risk’.
A spokesman for research firm OnePoll.com, said: “Coronavirus has been in the background of our lives for six weeks, but it’s only over the last few days that it’s become something many are beginning to take seriously.
“Previously, it was something affecting other countries – many of which most people wouldn’t have visited, so it was easy to put to the back of your mind.
“But with several confirmed cases in the UK – a figure which is only likely to rise – people are now thinking more about the effect the virus could have the UK and their own lives.”