The Coronavirus first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December but has since spread to more than 27 countries causing a worldwide pandemic. More than 580 cases have so far been confirmed outside mainland China, resulting in three deaths. The disease, also known as Covid-19, has emerged in a number of popular summer holiday destinations with cases recorded in Spain, France, Thailand, Australia and the US.
Holidaymakers have already been affected by the outbreak of the disease in a number of locations around the world.
A Japanese cruise ship has been left quarantined at a Yokohama Port after 218 people, including three Britons, were struck down with the virus.
The Coronavirus is set to have a major impact on travel leading up to the summer after several major airlines including British Airways canceled all flights to China until April.
Britons have already shunned the far-east as a potential holiday destination according to travel firms InsideJapan Tours and InsideAsia Tours.
Bristol-based travel agent, which are used by around 10,000 UK holidaymakers each year for trips to Asia has already recorded a 50 percent drop.
James Mundy, PR and partnerships manager of parent company Inside Travel Group said: “The biggest issue is that people that have inquired are not committing to booking because of the situation.
“We had a good January, but since the news coverage of the virus began we have had half the bookings that we would have expected.
“This is almost definitely down to coverage of the virus and people linking it to Japan and Asia in general.”
The Foreign Office has warned against all travel to the Hubei Province and “all but essential” travel to mainland China.
In the UK a total of 2,964 people have been tested for the virus, of which 2,955 were confirmed negative and nine positive.
On Thursday NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said that many more people in the UK may need to self-isolate to contain the illness.
READ MORE: London coronavirus: Which parts of London are disease hotspots?
Sir Simon said: “As our first group of guests leaves Arrowe Park Hospital, we want to thank them for the highly responsible, pragmatic and stoical way they have played their part in keeping both themselves and others safe.
“They have set an important example, recognising that over the coming weeks many more of us may need to self-isolate at home for a period to reduce this virus’s spread.”
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said those quarantined had been given a clean bill of health and people “can be reassured that their departure presents no risk to the public”.