Home U.K. Coronavirus UK outbreak: Crisis erupts as three more infected - Wales confirms...

Coronavirus UK outbreak: Crisis erupts as three more infected – Wales confirms first case

Coronavirus UK outbreak: Crisis erupts as three more infected - Wales confirms first case 1

The Welsh patient recently travelled back from Northern Italy, home to one of the largest coronavirus outbreaks outside of Asia. It brings the total number of UK cases to 19 people, as England’s Chief Medical Office Professor Chris Whitty announced two more patients in England had contracted the virus. Dr Atherton, the Chief Medical Officer for Wales, said: “I can confirm that one patient in Wales has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).

“All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken.

“I can also confirm that the patient had travelled back to Wales from Northern Italy, where the virus was contracted.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is well prepared for these types of incidents. Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.”

Public Health Wales said medics were trying to trace people who had been in close contact with the patient.

Dr Giri Shankar, incident director for the Covid-19 outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: “Public Health Wales is working hard to identify close contacts, and we are taking all appropriate actions to reduce any risk to the public’s health.

“The public can be assured that Wales and the whole of the UK is well prepared for these types of incidents. Working with our partners in Wales and the UK, we have implemented our planned response, with robust infection control measures in place to protect the health of the public.”

The annoucement from the Welsh medical authority follows the news England has two more cases of the deadly virus. 

Both English patients contracted the virus in Iran, chief medical officer Professor Whitty said.

- Advertisement -

The two new English cases have been transferred to specialist NHS infection centres at the Royal Free Hospital in London.

The total number of cases in England is now at 17, and the first case in Northern Ireland was confirmed on Thursday.

Authorities said the patient had travelled from northern Italy via Dublin.

Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency said it is “working rapidly” to trace and check the patient’s contacts to prevent further spread.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -