Princess Cruises, which is owned by Carnival Corp, has extended its cancellations until the end of June because of the coronavirus. Carnival announced Monday that it would extend its cancellation period until June 27.
However, they will continue sailings from Seattle to Alaska on the Emerald Princess and the Ruby Princess.
Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises, said that the cruise line’s move is disappointing but that they look forward to “brighter days”.
She said: “This global outbreak continues to challenge our world in unimaginable ways.
“We recognise how disappointing this is to our long-term business partners and thousands of employees, many of whom have been with us in Alaska for decades
“We hope everyone impacted by these cancellations – especially our guests, travel advisor partners, teammates, and the communities we visit – understand our decision to do our part to protect the safety, health and well-being of our guests and team.
“We look forward to the brighter days and smooth seas ahead for all of us.”
Carnival’s Chief Executive Officer Arnold Donald said the company is “working very hard” at trying to find liquidity options.
So far, the cruise industry has been upended by the travel bans and refunds that they are having to give out to customers.