Driving after Brexit: Have the laws changed and what do you need to drive abroad today?

2 min

15 shares, 94 points
Driving after Brexit: Have the laws changed and what do you need to drive abroad today?

Motorists will need to prepare for certain changes to motoring law but experts say these changes should not come into effect in the short term. The UK now enters a transition period where European legislation will still apply. However, when this finishes on 31 December 2020 motorists could see changes to the rules.

Is my driving licence still valid in the EU after Brexit? 

Driving licences are still currently valid in the European Union and motorists do not need to factor in any changes at this stage. 

All UK licences are valid for road users who take their cars into the European Economic Area which means this will stay the same for the 11 month transition period. 

Road users are warned that may be forced to apply for and carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) after 31 December 2020. 

The International Driving Permits differ slightly so motorists must check ahead their passes will allow access into the country they are set to drive through. 

Running your vehicle is more expensive in this UK city [ANALYSIS]
Car insurance can be invalidated this winter  [COMMENT]
How often should I check my tyre pressure? [TIPS]

Currently, a 1949 IDP will only be necessary to travel across Malta, Spain, Cyprus and Ireland for residents of non-EU countries.

However, Ireland may see a different set of legislation in place by 1 January 2021 as the UK government have previously advised an IDP would not be required. 

Motorists travelling to Liechtenstein may need a 1926 IDP after the transition period while a 1968 IDP will be valid for any other remaining nations. 

The 1958 IDP’s will be valid for three years or until your driving licence expires whichever comes first. 

Motorists will be able to buy their IDP’s for as little and £5.50 at Post Offices across the UK. 

However, motorists are warned they must think ahead while booking a holiday abroad as IDP’s must be applied for three months before travelling. 

Is my car insurance policy affected by Brexit? 

Similarly to driving licences, there will not be any immediate changes to car insurance agreements as Britain leaves the European Union. 

A statement by Admiral said: “For the time being, Brexit won’t affect your cover. You’ll still be covered for up to 90 days in the countries listed in Your Car/Van Insurance Guide.”

They added: “Towards the end of the year you may need extra documentation to drive abroad.”

After the transition period, motorists may need to purchase an insurance green card to travel abroad in the EU or countries in the European Economic Area. 

Like it? Share with your friends!

15 shares, 94 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
confused confused
fail fail
fun fun
geeky geeky
love love
lol lol
omg omg
win win

Read exclusive latest news on entertainment, music, gaming and more topics with unprecedented coverage from around the UK and US.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.