Home Science Driving in France post-Brexit: The rules and laws you need to know...

Driving in France post-Brexit: The rules and laws you need to know now

Brexit updates could see motorists forced to carry green cards for their insurance policy and international driving permits to get access to the roads. However, with the UK officially leaving the European Union last Friday at 11pm some have been left wondering why the legislation has not already been implemented. 

This is because the terms of the withdrawal agreement mean the UK will still follow many of the rules set out by the EU over an 11 month transition period. 

This is set to end on December 31 2020 when extra legislation changes could come into effect for motorists. 

A statement on GOV.UK from the Department for Transport confirmed no immediate changes would come into effect. 

- Advertisement -

The statement said: “After 31 January 2020 there will be a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. 

“The current rules on international driving will continue to apply during the transition period.”

READ MORE: Brexit: Nissan to pull out of Europe to support UK factory

Changes to car insurance post Brexit

After the transition period has concluded motorists will be required to have a car insurance green card on them at all times when travelling abroad. 

This document is an internationally recognised symbol that proves you do have third-party cover as a minimum.

According to the RAC, European insurance companies have said they will not require green cards to be displayed abroad post-Brexit. 

However, this has not been confirmed by the European Commission and experts are still urging motorists to take one with them before they travel. 

Green cards will not be issued to motorists unless these are specifically requested and experts warn these can take a while to arrive. 

To be on the safe side, road users are urged to allow up to one month before a trip to allow companies to approve your request. 

DVLA will be clamping down on car tax evaders today  [INSIGHT]
Five car insurance tips most won’t know exist  [COMMENT]
Birmingham could ban all cars from the city centre  [ANALYSIS]

Do I need an international driving permit?

- Advertisement -

After the transition period comes to a close, road users may be repaired to carry an international driving permit (IDP) with them at all times. 

These IDP’s can be purchased at post office branches across the UK and cost just £5.50. 

However, there are various different IDP’s used for travelling to certain nations and tourist are urged to thoroughly check these before purchasing an IDP.

According to the AA, those travelling to Iceland, Spain, Malta or Cyprus will require a 1949 Convention IDP. 

Previously this was only needed if you did not have a blue EU sticker on your registration plate but the cycler will now be a requirement. 

Motorists travelling to France are also required to carry a reflective jacket for each passenger inside the vehicle. 

A warning triangle is also compulsory for all vehicles with four wheels or more according to the RAC. 

French law also requires motorists to carry a breathalyser in their vehicles although police officers will not issue any penalties if you do not have one. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.