Police in Scotland have named the attacker who went on a rampage at West Geroge Street on Friday. The 28-year-old from Sudan was shot dead by police after injuring six people. The police said: “The identity is based on information the deceased provided to the Home Office earlier this year.
“Police Scotland continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident in Glasgow.
“The police discharge of firearms resulting in a fatality will always continue to be fully investigated by the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner.
“Both of those inquiries, which take place under the direction of the Lord Advocate, are ongoing and it would not be appropriate to speculate either about the events or the outcomes of these investigations.”
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has tweeted “we are all deeply grateful” for the bravery of PC David Whyte who was critically injured in the attack, before wishing all those injured a quick recovery.
Police have confirmed the five other casualties remain in hospital.
One of these is in a critical condition.
It is believed three are asylum seekers who were staying at the hotel and two are hotel staff.
Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson said the attack was not being treated as terrorism.