Horror shark attack in Australia sees two British men severely injured

2 min

11 shares, 74 points
Horror shark attack in Australia sees two British men severely injured 1

The RACQ rescue helicopter said one man, aged 22, had lost a foot, while the other, 28, suffered “serious lacerations”.

The helicopter service said the men had been “wrestling and thrashing about in the water” before the attack occurred.

The tourists were brought back to the Abell Point marina at Airlie Beach, where they were treated before being flown to Mackay by helicopter.

ZigZag Whitsundays, the tour operator the men had been accompanied by, posted a statement to Facebook.

It read: “We are working with authorities to assist in any way we can. We have suspended our tours for today and will work closely with authorities regarding our upcoming tours.”

The attack coincides with an ongoing debate about shark control in Queensland and a landmark court ruling that forced the state to remove its lethal drum lines – unmanned traps – from the Great Barrier Reef marine park.

The attack took place at around 10.20am in a place where drum lines had not yet been positioned, according to the Guardian Australia.

Conservationists have repeatedly said there was no scientific evidence to suggest that lethal baits prevent shark attacks.

JUST IN:Shark attack beach more deadly than any in Cape Cod exposed

Queensland is notorious for shark sightings and attacks.

Earlier this month, a teenager miraculously escaped an eight foot shark attack while surfing with friends.

Riley Brown was surfing off Bribe Island on Queensland when he was suddenly knocked off his surfboard.

Confused, the 17-year-old managed to paddle back to the shore before finding a huge chunk taken from the bottom of his board.

The bite, measuring 40cm, was inches away from potentially dismembering Mr Brown’s leg or arm, an event that would have likely ended in his death

The attack happened on Thursday while the carpenter was enjoying the afternoon sun.

On being knocked off his board, Mr Brown yelled to his friend who was around 20 metres that he had “just got hit by something”.

Mr Brown then ran up the beach warning other surfers of the massive shark lurking in the water

Talking to Australia’s 7News, Mr Brown said: “Something came up underneath me and smoked the bottom of my board.

“I got flipped off and got back on the board and told me mate who was like 20 metres away.

The teen explained that his friends initially thought he was lying about the attack.

It wasn’t until he flipped his board over and showed them the jagged sides and indentation that they realised Mr Brown had escaped with his life.

Like it? Share with your friends!

11 shares, 74 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
confused confused
fail fail
fun fun
geeky geeky
love love
lol lol
omg omg
win win

Read exclusive latest news on entertainment, music, gaming and more topics with unprecedented coverage from around the UK and US.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.