Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit which is characteristically crumbly and buttery. The delicious biscuit goes perfectly with tea or coffee, and makes the perfect afternoon treat.
Now one mum has shared an easy recipe for shortbread on Facebook, which only takes three ingredients.
Sharing her recipe on Facebook, the mum said: “Did anyone else know you only need 3 ingredients to make shortbread?! Or am I just being dumb!”
Needing just butter, sugar and flour the simple treat is easily made at home.
The mum added the recipe was easily substituted with dairy-free butter to cater for any dietary requirements.
Read More: Tesco shopper reveals £68 a month shopping list that feeds two people
Shortbread recipe: How to make shortbread
You could also add in chocolate chips or chocolate cut up into chunks for another dimension to the shortbread.
Easy three ingredient shortbread recipe
- 125g of butter
- 55g caster sugar
- 180g plain flour
Optional add in – chocolate
1. Heat your oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth
3. Stir in the flour gradually until it forms a smooth paste.
If adding in the chocolate, stir it in at this point until chunks are well dispersed in the mix.
How to make an espresso martini [RECIPE]
Harry and Meghan spotted delivering coronavirus food aid in LA [PICTURES]
Why frozen vegetables are better for you then fresh [EXPLAINED]
Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently roll it out until the mixture is one centimetre thick.
4. Cut into fingers or rounds and place it on a baking tray. Sprinkle the biscuit dough with caster sugar and then chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Bake the biscuits in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they appear a pale golden brown colour. Put to one side and allow to cool on a wire rack.
If you’re feeling more adventurous, another variation on a shortbread recipe is vanilla shortbread.
Vanilla Shortbread recipe
- 100 grams icing sugar
- 200 grams plain flour
- 100 grams cornflour
- 200 grams very soft unsalted butter
- seeds from 1 vanilla pod or 1tbsp of vanilla extract
- caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/gas mark 3/325F
2. Mix together the icing sugar, plain flour and cornflour in a bowl. Add the butter and vanilla pods or extract. Mix until it forms a loose ball.
3. Tip out into a baking tin and press until the mixture covers the base of the tray.
4. Cut the mixture into fingers, and make little holes with a fork along each finger.
5. Pop into an oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, and remove.
The shortbread should be pale still, but not doughy looking golden around the edges.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tray with a pallet knife.
Sprinkle them with sugar and leave to cool completely before enjoying with a cup of tea or coffee.