Home U.K. Hunt for 300 workers after COVID outbreak at plant supplying Tesco, Sainsbury's...

Hunt for 300 workers after COVID outbreak at plant supplying Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Asda

So far, 166 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed at Rowan Foods in Wrexham, North Wales. In total, more than 1,000 people are employed at the food processing site. Public Health Wales said in a statement: “We are working with Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board to urgently contact just over 300 workers that have not yet presented for testing.

“As we would expect with any focused track and trace process, we will identify additional asymptomatic cases.

“Finding these cases does not mean that the rate of infection in the Wrexham area is increasing as a whole.

“There is no evidence that Rowan Foods is the source of the outbreak.

“The multi-agency team managing the outbreak with Public Health Wales will continue to review the situation and work with the employer, their workforce and wider community to bring this outbreak to a swift conclusion.”

Public health bosses are searching for over 300 employees following a coronavirus outbreak (Image: EXPRESS)

In April workers from the firm, which supplies the UK’s top supermarkets, walked out in an apparent protest over what they claimed was a lack of protection from coronavirus.

- Advertisement -

Rowan Foods is the latest food processing plant to to experience a COVID-19 outbreak.

Recently, the Princes tinned food factory in Cambridgeshire closed down to enable deep cleaning to take place after 14 staff members tested positive for the virus.

In North Wales, the 2 Sisters factory in Llangefni, Anglesey also tested around 158 of its employees for coronavirus.

All staff were told to self-isolate for 14 days when the number of infections reached 72.

Over recent weeks, there has been a worrying spike in coronavirus infections in abattoirs and meat factories in Europe.

More than 4,000 workers have tested positive for COVID-19 in 37 outbreaks throughout the continent, forcing the closure of at least nine factories.

Last week, Germany has forced to reimpose several lockdown measures after more than 1,500 staff at the Toennies slaughterhouse in Guetersloh tested positive for coronavirus.

- Advertisement -

The reintroduction of restrictions in the districts of Guetersloh and Warendorf, both in the west state of North Rhine-Westphalia, has impacted around 640,000 people.

These local outbreaks saw Germany’s reproduction number, referred to as R, triple to 2.88 on June 21 and well above the level at which the spread of the virus is accelerating, althought it has gradually fallen since then.

Businesses such as bars, gyms, and theatres have been forced to close, with a limit of just two people reintroduced for public gatherings.

Locals have also been encouraged not to travel to other parts of Germany, through travel is not being strictly prohibited.

- Advertisement -

Pubs and restaurants in Leicester could remain closed for further two weeks following a worrying new outbreak in the city.

The city’s mayor has said the Government has recommended lockdown restrictions are maintained for a further fortnight following a surge in coronavirus cases.

There have been 866 positive cases in Leicester in the two weeks to June 23. On Sunday, Home Secretary Priti Patel said the city faced a possible lockdown.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “We are working alongside Public Health England to support the council and local partners in Leicester to help prevent further transmission of the virus.”

This is a breaking story. More to follow…

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -
%d bloggers like this: