At the present time they are “working on initial battle damage assessments”.
Iran launched the missiles at the troops following the death of the country’s top general Qassem Soleimani, following the orders of US President Donald Trump.
Although unconfirmed it has been claimed that at least ’30’ soldiers in Iraq have been killed in the attack
No official report has yet been released on the number of fatalities, it is expected to have had a major impact upon the bases.
A US government statement said: “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al Assad and Erbil.
“We are working on initial battle damage assessments.
“These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region”.
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measure to protect and defend US personnel, partners and allies in the region.”
The Sky Middle East correspondent Mark Stone said in an interview: “There’s no doubt the Iranian response has come. we now await the US response.”
He added: “It has not been confirmed the size of the attacks or if there have been any casualties.”
Iran Revolutionary Guard had previously warned the US it would be retaliating over the missile attack.
The Guard issued the warning via a statement carried by IRNA news agency.
It read: “We are warning all American allies, who gave their bases to its terrorist army, that any territory that is the starting point of aggressive acts against Iran will be targeted.”
Wednesday’s revenge attack came a few hours after crowds in Iran mourned Soleimani.
A stampede broke out on Tuesday at Soleimani’s funeral for a top Iranian general slain in a US airstrike, at least 56 people were killed and more than 200 were injured as thousands thronged the procession, Iranian news reports said.