It can be caused by a bacterial, viral or fungal infection – with bacterial infections being the most deadly.
The Meningitis Research Foundation states meningitis is a “life-threatening illness” that “can kill in hours”.
So, yes, it’s very dangerous indeed. The NHS backs up this statement saying that “meningitis can be very serious if not treated quickly”.
Early recognition and treatment provide the best chance of a good recovery.
To spot the signs of meningitis, look out for:
- Severe headache
- Feeling unwell
- Stiff neck
- Dislike of bright lights
- Very sleepy/vacant/difficult to wake
- Seizures (fits) may also be seen