Home U.K. London crackdown on 'dangerous' illegal raves launched after 500 unlicensed events held

London crackdown on 'dangerous' illegal raves launched after 500 unlicensed events held

The Met Police has vowed to continue to shut down the “dangerous” unlicensed music events (UMEs) amid a surge in the number of violent incidents since lockdown restrictions were eased. Scotland Yard has released body-cam footage this afternoon showing officers being pelted with bottles and other objects at an illegal rave at an estate in Brixton, south London, on June 25.

{%=o.title%}

]]>

In the disturbing video, voices can be heard shouting “hold the line” and “missiles, missiles”.

Police vehicles were severely damaged and 22 officers injured.

The Met said information about more than 530 events across the capital has been received since the Brixton rave – with officers responding to an average 23 per day.

Since last Saturday, the force has reported 86 separate incidents – including an illegal rave at an estate in Finsbury Park, north London, where objects were thrown at officers trying to disperse crowds.

- Advertisement -

The Met Police has issued a warning over illegal raves in London (Image: PA)

The police has urged anyone with information about an illegal rave to come forward (Image: GETTY)

The Met Police has said UMEs are illegal, have no security, are uninsured, have no tickets and are frequently associated with anti-social behaviour and violence.

The force warns those attending a UME they are putting themselves at risk.

Met Police Commander Ade Adelekan has condemned UMEs and said the “dangerous and highly disruptive” events will continue to be shut down.

The Met Chief said the events usually involve loud music, alcohol, drugs and extreme violence.

- Advertisement -

Police attend a music event in Brixton last month (Image: Twitter)

Chief Superintendent Adelekan urged against anyone thinking of attending an event and reiterated the country remains in a health crisis and mass gatherings should be avoided.

He said: “There can be no doubt that unlicensed music events are dangerous and highly disruptive for local communities.

“Communities caught in the middle of an event have a miserable time, with large crowds turning up at their estate and playing loud music and consuming alcohol, and at times, drugs and causing damage. The fear they create is totally unacceptable.

“What is of great concern to me is the very real risk that these events will result in violence. During previous events a small minority have targeted police officers with extreme violence, resulting in police officers being injured.

READ MORE: Coronavirus map LIVE: Boris predicts date we’ll be ‘way past’ crisis

- Advertisement -

A windscreen of a police car is smashed in Brixton, south London (Image: Twitter)

“We also have to remember that the country remains in a national health crisis. It is vitally important we all play our part in avoiding mass gatherings to help protect ourselves, family and friends.

“It is because of this, we will not standby and allow these events to happen. They will be shut down.”

The Met said it will continue to work with organisers and local authorities to close these events at the earliest opportunity.

If organisers fail to comply, police will use legislation to seize sound systems and laptops, disperse crowds and ultimately make arrests if people fail to cooperate.

DON’T MISS

POLL: Should British royals wear face masks while on duty? [POLL]
Brexit LIVE: Boris agrees MAJOR compromise but Barnier STILL demand [LIVE]
Tory peer dismantles EU claim as he insists UK will thrive on WTO exit [VIDEO]

Anyone with information about an illegal rave is urged to contact the police by dialling 101 or by calling Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The issue of illegal raves have not just been confined to the capital with reports of incidents all around the UK.

Last weekend Avon and Somerset Police said they were powerless to stop an illegal rave of more than 3,000 people near Bath

The event, at the former RAF Charmy Down airfield about three miles from the city, began late on Saturday but was not shut down until Sunday afternoon.

Last Saturday, Greater Manchester Police said they dismantled a planned event after talking to audio equipment suppliers.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -
%d bloggers like this: