firstname.lastname@example.org (Warren Muggleton)
The Spaniard has been out since the first race of the 2020 championship, suffering a broken arm in the Spanish GP.
Images emerged of the 27-year-old being stretchered off the track in a neck brace – and he has watched from the hospital bed while chances of defending his title for a fifth consecutive season whittle away.
And his racing team have given an update on Marquez’s condition, saying he will be out for “two to three months”.
It is a change to the planned recovery process, which would see his possible return take place at the Europa GP in Valencia.
Honda team manager Alberto Puig said on Saturday: “From the first day after the second operation we have said that the only objective that exists is for him to be one hundred percent.
“We do not want to rush.
“Once Marc is in a position to return and compete at the level he knows, then we will think about the next objective.”
Marquez is aiming to get back to racing in the eighth MotoGP campaign of his career, only missing out on the title once in 2015.
And it means that motorsport fans will miss out on his rivalry with Valentino Rossi, who is racing in his 19th championship.
But the Spaniard has said he is not interested in rekindling his rivalry with the Italian on his return.
“Well I don’t know and also I don’t care about it, honestly speaking,” the 27-year-old Honda racer said when asked if he expects the Italian’s congratulations .
“Between the riders, if somebody wins, always we congratulate them. Even last year Valentino congratulated me.
“This is something, we know that if somebody is faster we congratulate him but I don’t care.
“I just care if my team congratulates me because we are a team and inside of my box is the people that will help me and follow me in any direction.”