Here’s how the new system works.
Under the new Ofcom rules, phone, broadband and pay-TV companies will have to warn customers between 10 and 40 days before their contract comes to an end. These alerts – sent by text, email or letter – must include:
• When your contract is up;
• What you’ve been paying until now, and what you’ll pay when your contract is up;
• Any notice period for leaving your provider; and
• Your provider’s best deals, including any prices only available to new customers.
• Anyone who is already out of contract must also be reminded they are out of contract, and told every year about their firm’s best deals.