At the end of last week, the Spanish Health Ministry announced its highest daily increase in cases since the end of the country-wide lockdown.
On Friday 852 new cases had been detected.
Spain has not reported figures of over 1,000 daily cases since May 28.
However, a number of local lockdowns have popped up in recent weeks as figures began to increase in pockets across the country.
Currently, lockdown measures have been reinstated in the town of La Marnia, in Galicia; in the western Catalan region of Lleida province; and some restrictions have been re-tightened in Zaragoza and Huesca along with their surrounding areas.
According to Euro Weekly News, the government has said “drastic measures” will not be ruled out.
For British tourists, the threat of a new wave of lockdowns across the holiday destination could pose a risk.
At the time of writing, Spain remains on the UK quarantine-free travel list.
The British Government has yet to speak out with regards to any potential changes to this list if localised lockdowns come into play.
However, localised lockdowns in Spain or even here at home could see Britons losing out on money or invalidating their travel insurance policies if they choose to jet off.
“From July 4 some countries and territories are exempted from the global advisory against all but essential international travel,” advises the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
“If you decide to travel during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it is even more important that you have appropriate travel insurance.
“If you already have a travel insurance policy, you should check what cover it provides for coronavirus-related events, including medical cover and travel disruption. If you are choosing a new policy, make sure you check how it covers these issues.”
The FCO adds: “Many travel insurance policies will not cover you if you travel to a high-risk destination.”
Tightened rules in some Spanish hotspots are already changing the holiday experience for some Britons.
President of the Andalusian Government, Juanma Moreno confirmed that from July 15, wearing face masks will be compulsory for those in the Costa del Sol despite the soaring temperatures.
Juanma Moreno said: “Despite the heat, difficulties, and limitations, we have to get used to wearing the mask permanently.
“With the use of the mask, the risk of contagion is reduced to one percent.”