Tag Archives: $100M

MLB makes $100M commitment to increase Black participation

“We want young people — period — playing the game, particularly young people of color,” Manfred said at a Coors Field news conference.

DENVER — Major League Baseball will give at least $ 100 million over 10 years to the Players Alliance and help raise an additional $ 50 million aimed at increasing the number of Blacks playing the sport and eventually making the big leagues.

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the decision before Monday night’s All-Star Home Run Derby, saying it would be the sport’s largest charitable commitment.

“We want young people — period — playing the game, particularly young people of color,” Manfred said at a Coors Field news conference.

Manfred was joined by Bo Bichette, Corbin Burnes, Josh Hader, Tim Anderson, Mark Melancon, Alex Reyes, Marcus Semien, Taijuan Walker and Zack Wheeler; former players Curtis Granderson, Dave Roberts, CC Sabathia and Reggie Smith; and Colorado Rockies owner Dick Montfort and Los Angeles Dodgers owner Mark Walter.

The Players Alliance was launched last year, and MLB and the Major League Players Association announced a $ 10 million commitment last September. In addition, 500 players donated all or a portion of their salaries on April 15, Jackie Robinson Day.

MLB said it will give $ 10 million annually starting in 2023 plus obtain $ 5 million in yearly matching contributions from Players Alliance fundraising.

Twenty-four major leaguers participated in a program with 150 children Monday.

“This is about getting kids that maybe wouldn’t be able to play baseball, the opportunity to play baseball,” Montfort said. “This was a big ask for owners to give up this money, even though it comes from central baseball. Central baseball is owned by the 30 clubs.”

[embedded content]

Read more
This post originally posted here CBS8 – Sports

Man City launch £100m Harry Kane bid 'with view to a swap deal' as Tottenham respond

Manchester City have reportedly launched an opening offer of £100million for Harry Kane on the eve of England’s Group D decider against Czech Republic but Tottenham have made it clear he is not for sale at any price. The Premier League champions have now made their first move for the Three Lions captain, who has placed his future on hold until after the European Championships.

Before the tournament, Kane made no secret of the fact he was open to the prospect of a new challenge.

The Premier League golden boot winner told Gary Neville in an interview with Sky Sports that there was a conversation to be had with Daniel Levy after Spurs failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Despite being tied down to a long-term contract until 2024, Kane wants to win trophies and has grown frustrated with Spurs’ lack of progress, particularly following the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino.

It’s understood he favours a move to Manchester City, where he would get the chance to work under Pep Guardiola and compete for the biggest prizes in club football.

Kane has also named Kevin de Bruyne as the player he would like to play with most in the future.

JUST IN: Man City ‘need Barcelona’ to help them sign Harry Kane after ‘Tottenham reject first bid’

Gareth Southgate has made it clear that he does not want transfer sagas disrupting his England camp.

Kane is keen to respect that and will not discuss his future until after the Euros.

City will have to raise their offer if they are to entice Tottenham into a sale.

That could involve including a number of players in the deal, with Gabriel Jesus one of the players who could reportedly head the other way.

Raheem Sterling is another possible alternative but ultimately, any final decision on Kane’s future will rest with Levy.

It could mean that Kane has to push hard himself to manufacture his own exit, something that appears incredibly unlikely.

City are yet to spend over £100m on one player but Kane is now deemed the final piece of the jigsaw as they target Champions League success.

Erling Haaland is also on their radar but Kane is now believed to be their top target, while a move for Jack Grealish is also on the agenda.

To fund both deals, City will need to sell and the likes of Bernardo Silva, Aymeric Laporte, Jesus and Riyad Mahrez are all facing uncertain futures.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Houston rent relief: There’s still $100M available, but applications are starting to die down

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — If you need help with May’s rent, there’s a program available which could give you money to cover way more than just a month.

The Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program kicked off a couple of months ago, but the amount of people looking for help is starting to lessen.

 

HOW MUCH HELP IS AVAILABLE?

The municipalities received $ 159 million from a federal stimulus bill to help people who are at risk of losing their home. So far, $ 57 million has been distributed.

However, there’s still $ 102 million available.

“It can cover overdue rent back to the start of the pandemic and then two months forward,” said Bart Ferrell, the COO of Catholic Charities. “We’re really committed to the stability and housing.”

HOW CAN I APPLY?

Start by visiting the program’s website. You’ll asked to answer a series of questions and upload a few documents.

After you apply, you can go back and check the status of your application.

So far, 50,239 have applied. A total 35,928 are currently in the queue and 14,311 applications are still waiting to start the process.
Lorena Cuatete, a single mom who needed help with four months worth of rent, applied for the program and was approved.

“Don’t stress,” Cuatete said. “You don’t have to cry behind closed doors. So your kids don’t see you crying and stressing over bills and everything.”

Applications are chosen at random so there’s no rush. As long as there’s money available, the program is open until the end of the year.

WHO QUALIFIES FOR HELP?

In order to receive the assistance, you must meet certain qualifications. Households must make 80% below the average income, which, for a family for four, is $ 63,050. You must also experience housing instability or be at risk of homelessness. Lastly, you must have experienced financial hardship as a result of the pandemic.

Although the number of applications coming in has slowed down, officials said they can’t expand eligibility.
“These funds are designated from Congress,” Ferrell explained. “The eligibility requirements were sent down from the [U.S. Treasury.] We’re required to abide by those.”

To get more people qualified, officials are also going to eviction courts to inform people about the program.

GETTING IN-PERSON ASSISTANCE

You don’t have to apply online. There are “navigator” agencies where neighbors can receive in-person assistance with the application process. Currently, there are 13 locations across the Houston area where you can get help. Starting next week, three additional agencies will welcome tenants to get in-person help.

To find a list of navigator sites, click here.

Follow Nick Natario on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Author: Nick Natario

This post originally appeared on ABC13 RSS Feed