San Marcos and San Antonio Holmes were supposed to face off in 2020. But due to rescheduling issues cause by the COVID-19 pandemic, the two teams had to cancel the matchup.
The longtime preseason scrimmage partners will finally meet during the regular season this year. The Huskies saw mild improvement last season, earning a 20-13 overtime win over San Antonio Jay — the team’s first victory since the 2018 season. It ended up being Holmes’ only win, as it finished the year 1-8 overall and 1-7 in District 29-6A play.
The offense returns one of its top playmakers in Christopher Medelez. The senior quarterback led the team throwing for 359 passing yards and two touchdowns, but will need to clean up his efficiency after completing just 33% of his passes and giving up five interceptions. He also finished second on the team with 304 rushing yards on 73 carries, a 4.2-yard average, and crossed the goal line four times.
He’ll be without most of his top weapons from last year, though. No running back or wide receiver returning produced more than 100 yards for Holmes or reached the end zone in 2020.
The Huskies might deal with some inexperience on defense, too, losing their top two tacklers from a year ago. But their secondary does feature a pair of ballhawks who each secured interceptions last season in seniors Jake Jackson and Nathan Arriaga.
San Marcos will head to San Antonio to square off with Holmes on Sept. 4 at 7 p.m.
SAN ANTONIO — The temperature was rising and the sweat rolling, but the number of people who turned out to celebrate a slimmed-down, delayed Fiesta kept growing Monday.
The majority went maskless at the Mercado, or Market Square, downtown where colorful strings of plastic “papel picado” fluttered in a welcomed breeze, as locals and visitors moved among food and drink stands, band performances, restaurants and stores. The crowd wasn’t as big as a Fiesta, but it was a comfort to many.
“I was scared, thinking people weren’t going to come out, but the first couple of days were pretty good,” said Jay Suarez, 29, who sells turkey legs at several of the events that make up Fiesta.
Fiesta, San Antonio’s signature celebration of its history and culture, yields a $ 340 million economic impact — in normal years, organizers say. It’s such a popular event that its kickoff day is a local holiday.
Covid-19 erased the celebration last year.
This year’s 11-day-event opened Thursday, cautiously. Organizers cut a couple large parades, some events have limited capacity and guests are being reminded to practice Covid-19 prevention protocols. Fiesta also is being held later. Usually, the celebration is in April, when temperatures are lower.
After last year’s hiatus, Juarez was happy to be back selling turkey legs and seeing others just as eager to start life after lockdowns. On Monday, he proudly opened the doors to his “state-of-the-art” oven to show off the food he was selling at Fiesta de los Reyes, one of many Fiesta events.
His booth helps him earns him some disposable income but also helps fund scholarships.
Despite a better turnout than he expected, “people are still scared, but (also) there’s a shortage of a lot of products there’s a shortage of a lot of help also because no one really wants to work,” he said.
Fiesta creates thousands of jobs and generates hundreds of thousands of dollars for charities. The nearly two-week celebration is packed with a carnival, parades, bike rides, music and the Night in Old San Antonio event that draws heavy crowds and many othter events.
Mario Elias, 48, of San Antonio, wore a straw hat to shield himself from the sun as he directed cars to $ 20 parking nearby. He was pleased to see people turning out, after a year of almost no work because of canceled events.
“We are a little surprised that more people are coming. There are quite a few more cars. We thought it would be much slower,” Elias said in Spanish.
Roy and Henry Perez performed an early show with their band Rhythm Kings at one of the stages at the event that had a lineup of bands through the night.
They had not stopped playing during the pandemic but shows were smaller, if anyone showed, and the pay was less, they said.
Jessica Guzman, 23, and David Ramirez, 23, who live in Houston, but are from San Antonio, said they missed the food and culture that is the essence of Fiesta. When they heard it was back on, they made plans to partake.
“It does feel good to see people out and about. We are both vaccinated and we made sure to get that right away … It does feel good to have the opportunity to connect with the community,” Ramirez said.
Seeing everyone out also “makes it feel like staying home and being safe was worth it, to protect people,” Ramirez said.
“Yeah, it’s almost back to normal, but not completely back to normal, yet,” Guzman added.
Several of the Fiesta-goers stopped themselves while expressing excitement about returning to normal to acknowledge those lost to Covid or who were infected and hospitalized.
Michael Perez, 51, of San Antonio, wore a multicolored sombrero he had accessorized for Fiesta — wearing decorated hats, wreaths of crepe paper flowers and streamers, custom-made medals and other gear is part of the celebration’s tradition.
Perez had pasted several cards from the Mexican bingo-like game Loteria, except the cards depicted were from the pandemic Loteria deck created by a San Antonio artist.
Perez said he wasn’t trying to make fun of the pandemic but wanted to acknowledge the trying year.
“You might forget what happened five years ago, but you’re never going to forget Covid … It’s something that really happened, that is tragic,” he said.
He was among a smaller number of people who wore a mask at the outdoor events at Market Square. He said he was most concerned that he might cause someone else to be sick, even though he is vaccinated.
Despite those fears, he said he chose to attend the festivities not only to reunite with friends but to help the workers and businesses get back on their feet.
“Everybody wants everything to go back to normal,” he said.
SAN ANTONIO – A federal jury on Monday found a 40-year-old San Antonio man guilty of executing a COVID-19-related hoax.
Jurors convicted Christopher Charles Perez, aka “Christopher Robbins,” on two counts of 18 U.S.C. § 1038, which criminalizes false information and hoaxes related to biological weapons, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas.
Evidence presented during the trial revealed that Perez posted two threatening messages on Facebook. He claimed to have paid someone infected with COVID-19 to lick items at grocery stores in the San Antonio area because he was trying to scare people away from visiting the stores.
On April 5, 2020, a screenshot of the initial posting was sent by an online tip to the Southwest Texas Fusion Center, which then contacted the FBI office in San Antonio for further investigation, officials said.
The threats were deemed to be false, according to investigators and Perez, officials said.
Perez faces up to 10 years in federal prison. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 20.
Also on KSAT.com:
This post originally appeared on Texas News
Antonio Rudiger appeared to sensationally bite Paul Pogba towards the end of the first half of Germany’s Euro 2020 opener with France and the Manchester United midfielder was furious that the officials did not check the incident. The German defender was goal side and touch tight to his opposite number, as he tried to prevent his movement.
But in bizarre scenes, replays showed that Rudiger appeared to in fact bite Pogba on the back.
The reaction from the France maestro was immediate, as he screamed in shock.
He then ran to the linesman to see if he saw the incident but the officials were not willing to take a second look.
Pogba did not take no for an answer though, which would suggest he felt there was clear intent behind the actions of Rudiger.
Tottenham have ended their interest in making Antonio Conte their next manager according to reports, despite him having been their latest top target. The Italian had been linked with the vacant role having recently left Inter Milan and thorough talks were held across two days, but it appears Spurs will instead look elsewhere now.
Conte, a Premier League winner with Chelsea and four-time Serie A-winning boss with Juventus and Inter, had emerged as an attractive option for the north Londoners given his trophy-winning pedigree.
But after talks, it appears Spurs are not convinced that the 51-year-old is the ideal coach for them. The Daily Telegraph report that the Londoners have called off the possible appointment of Conte despite rumours that an offer had been tabled to him.
It is unclear whether they will change their approach once more if Conte is willing to alter some of his demands.
The Evening Standard say Spurs were concerned by an apparent reluctance to work with younger players, and they say as a result no offer was put on the table to the ex-Chelsea manager.
Conte only recently took Inter to their first Italian title in 11 years but left as a result of clashes with the club’s hierarchy due to their financial constraints.
Fabrizio Romano claims on the flip side that Conte was not convinced about Spurs’ project or their staff members, and that there were differences between the two parties on his prospective salary as well.
Conte wanted to bring more than four members of his own staff to the club but Daniel Levy and co. were reluctant to agree to that, with talks stalling as a result.
The former Italy national team boss also wants a project where he can immediately win trophies and is said to be unconvinced about the potential to do that at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Spurs are trophyless since 2009 and are also potentially set to lose star striker Harry Kane, the Premier League Golden Boot winner, to a direct rival this summer.
Conte had told DAZN this week: “As a player, I won everything it was possible to win, but I also lost a great deal.
“When you lose, it leaves within you the desire not to experience that again, so you do everything to transmit that to your players when you are a coach. It all comes from your scars and wanting to avoid getting more.”
It remains to be seen who Spurs turn to next in their search for a new manager, but Julian Nagelsmann and Brendan Rodgers are among those they have missed out on.
Although the Italian will not be landing at Spurs, it’s expected that Fabio Paratici will still become Spurs’ new sporting director to work under Levy.
Paratici has only just left his role as Juventus’ director of football, having combined brilliantly well with Conte during his 11-year stint in the job, during which he helped Juve to win nine straight titles.
Speaking on Friday, the 48-year-old said: “I don’t think this is the right time to talk about other clubs. Today it’s my Juventus farewell today.
“My family hopes that I will find a job quickly. Working at Juventus is a real education in terms of mentality and style.
“Obviously, you hope to learn something at every club, but I will certainly bring that with me in future.”
Levy has said he wants to get “entertaining and attacking football” back at Spurs following the dour displays of Mourinho’s final months and Paratici will seemingly be key to adopting a consistent approach off of the pitch in regards to player recruitment.
SAN ANTONIO (KXAN) — Police in San Antonio said a traffic stop turned into an exchange of gunfire that killed two people and injured an officer on the city’s west side.
During a news conference Friday afternoon, Police Chief William McManus said he reviewed the officer’s body camera footage. McManus said the video showed the officer pull over a truck for a reason not yet known and begin a “casual conversation” with the three people inside.
After about two minutes, McManus said the video showed the driver pull out a gun and begin firing at the officer, who was struck in the hand. The police chief said the officer retreated and returned fire, shooting and killing the driver and the front seat passenger. A woman in the truck’s backseat was also hit in the torso and taken to the hospital.
Reporters on the scene said witnesses heard multiple gunshots, but the police chief could not confirm how many at this time. The shooting happened in an area off Pinn Road near Westfield.
McManus said the officer involved has been with the department for five years. He said he would be visiting that officer in the hospital shortly. Police have not identified the officer or the two people killed yet.
Police urged drivers to avoid the area because the road would remain closed for a few more hours, as the investigation into the shooting begins.
Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday called for the federal government to close a San Antonio facility housing unaccompanied migrant children after he became aware of allegations of sexual assault.
“In short, this facility is a health and safety nightmare,” Abbott said at a press conference outside the Freeman Coliseum, which is reportedly housing more than 1,300 teens who recently crossed the U.S.-Mexico border without a parent or guardian.
The announcement came as Texas and the federal government are locked in battle over a recent increase in the number of migrants crossing the state’s southern border.
Abbott said complaints about sexual assault were reported early Wednesday to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services as well as the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. The governor did not know the identities of those who alleged assault, nor did he provide many details. He said he was concerned more than one child may have been assaulted. He also said that DPS will investigate the allegations.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services did not immediately respond to questions after Abbott’s announcement.
The press conference, Abbott said, was to alert President Joe Biden’s administration and push them to move the children housed in the coliseum to other federally run facilities with more “space, personnel and resources to ensure safety.” He also said the facility was short on staff, some kids were not eating enough food and those infected with the coronavirus were not separated from healthy teens.
A spokesperson for Abbott said the governor told federal officials about the allegations before the press conference.
Rebeca Clay-Flores, a Bexar County commissioner, painted a different picture of the conditions than the governor described, however. She said, having been in the facility many times, she saw children being well cared for. The Freeman Expo Center in San Antonio, which KSAT-TV reported held 1,370 teens on Monday, has the ability to house up to 2,500 children, according to the federal health department.
“What I saw when I went in there on several occasions, it was well-staffed, the children are very happy and very excited to be here,” she told reporters after Abbott left. “This is not a political issue. This is about children who deserve protection from adults.”
Abbott acknowledged to reporters that he had not been inside the coliseum.
Abbott and many other Texas Republicans have repeatedly criticized the Biden administration as it struggles to address an increase in migrants being apprehended near the U.S.-Mexico border. Almost all single adults are being immediately expelled under a pandemic health order issued by Trump that Biden has kept in place, although the current administration is allowing in unaccompanied minors and some families to await their immigration court hearings in the U.S. But Democrats are also loudly questioning where the conservative compassion was less than two years ago under President Trump’s watch, when apprehensions hit near-record figures despite his crackdown on the border.
The number of people crossing the border illegally increases nearly every spring thanks to the weather getting warmer. The past three presidents have struggled at times during their tenures with surges in border crossings. But the number of children being apprehended has been particularly high in recent months, straining federal facilities.
As of Tuesday, the Biden administration had more than 4,200 unaccompanied migrant children in Border Patrol custody and roughly 16,000 in the care of federal shelters run by the federal Department of Health and Human Services. By law, unaccompanied children are not supposed to be held in Border Patrol custody for more than 72 hours except for in emergencies. Since Feb. 22, the White House has opened at least eight emergency influx sites of unaccompanied migrant children in Texas, including Freeman, with a total capacity of about 14,000 beds.
Lomi Kriel, Shawn Mulcahy and Patrick Svitek contributed to this report.