Title changed, details added (first version posted on 14:12)
BAKU, Azerbaijan, July 16
The units of the Armenian Armed Forces fired at the positions of the Azerbaijani troops located in the direction of Sadarak district of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic on the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border on July 16, at around 10:00 and 13:00 (GMT+4), Trend reports referring to the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
The return fire was opened against the units of the Armenian Armed Forces, located near Arazdeyen village of Vedi district, to suppress the shelling.
There are no dead or wounded among the personnel of the Azerbaijani troops.
“Once again, we state that Armenia bears full responsibility for creating tension along the entire state border of the two countries,” the Azerbaijani defense ministry said.
The Russian defence ministry said it had scrambled fighter jets and bombers to prevent the frigate from entering Russian waters, according to news agencies. The Russian military said the warplanes flew at a safe distance from the vessel and in line with international regulations.
The Netherlands’ defence ministry said the Russian actions took place over the span of five hours on June 24 and violated rights to free use of the sea.
The frigate, Evertsen, was sailing with Britain’s Carrier Strike Group, including HMS Defender, which was carrying out a patrol in the area at the time.
Defence Minister Ank Bijleveld-Schouten called the Russian action “irresponsible”.
She said in a statement: “The Evertsen has every right to sail there.
“There is no justification for this kind of aggressive act, which needlessly increases the chance of accidents.”
She indicated the Netherlands would raise the matter with Russia at the diplomatic level.
The Russia’s defence ministry said on Tuesday that it had scrambled fighter jets and bombers to prevent a Dutch frigate from entering Russian waters in the Black Sea, Interfax news agency reported.
The military said the warplanes flew at a safe distance from the vessel.
The Netherlands’ defence minister said earlier on Tuesday that Russian fighter jets armed with air-to-surface missiles had harassed a Dutch navy frigate in the Black Sea earlier this month, conducting mock attacks and jamming communication systems.
Abour 20 planes and helicopters of the Black Sea Fleet and the Southern Military District were involved in drills in Crimea, the Black Sea Fleet press service announced on Tuesday.
A statement said: “Crews of the Black Sea Fleet planes and helicopters and an air force formation of the Southern Military District carried out training with divisions of S-400 missile systems and Panzir missile systems to test the combat readiness of the Crimean Peninsula’s alert force and air defense systems.”
The latest incident comes a week after Russia claimed HMS Defender had been forced to retreat after a Russian ship fired warning shots and a warplane dropped bombs – with the UK denying Moscow’s version of events.
At least three people are believed to have been killed, with a further six injured, during the attack which took place in the German city of Wurzburg on Friday Afternoon. Police in the city have reportedly arrested the suspected perpetrator following a “major operation.” Meanwhile, dramatic footage has surfaced in Germany which appears to show a crowd of onlookers confronting a suspected knifeman.
In the video members of the public can be seen attempting to subdue the assailant with chairs and sticks.
The crowd is then shown chasing the knifeman through the streets as he attempts to flee the scene.
Moments later a German police car is seen racing to apprehend the suspect as bystanders direct the cops.
Police were later able to subdue the man who was shot in the leg during the arrest, according to the Bild newspaper.
Lower Franconia police announced on Twitter:“We have arrested a suspect. The attacker was overpowered after police used a firearm.
“There are no indications of a second suspect.
“There is NO danger to the population.”
Wuerzburg is located in the north of Bavaria and is home to around 130,000 people.
The video matched the reported location of the attacks on and around Wuerzburg’s central Barbarossaplatz, though it was not immediately possible to confirm when they had been made.
The situation was now under control, authorities in
There has not yet been any official indication as to the possible motive for the attack
WALLER COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — Law enforcement officials in Waller County believe someone driving an unmarked sedan with red and blue emergency lights on top of its roof is not one of their own.
The county’s sheriff’s office is trying to make that clear in the wake of the mystery driver reportedly pulling a gun on a woman over the weekend, as well as a possible second encounter early Wednesday morning in Brookshire.
According to the Waller County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle, which is possibly a Dodge Charger, equipped with the emergency lights, pulled another driver over in the 25000 block of Joseph Road, near FM 1488, in Hockley at about 10 p.m. on June 19.
Deputies said the operator of the sedan approached the female victim’s vehicle with a gun drawn and pointed at her while he ordered her to get out.
The woman instead took off and drove to a family member’s home.
The victim may have been followed, but deputies add the mystery driver didn’t follow her all the way to the home.
“We know that it was not a WCSO vehicle and believe that it could possibly be someone impersonating a police officer. Please be aware that the WCSO does not conduct traffic stops using unmarked vehicles,” the sheriff’s office said of the incident on its Facebook page.
Deputies add their vehicles are “clearly and plainly marked” and personnel “will be in clearly identifiable uniforms.”
The sheriff’s office is also looking into another report out of Brookshire involving a vehicle with the same characteristics described in the Hockley incident.
Deputies posted on Facebook about the possible encounter in the area of FM 362 and FM 359. However, the Waller County sheriff told Eyewitness News on Wednesday that it’s not being considered an official incident due to the driver in this latest report not yet submitting a complaint.
Waller County is asking others to remain vigilant. If you are pulled over and are unsure of who it is, deputies advised you to call 911 or dispatch at 979-826-8282.
At KXAN at 5 p.m., Jacqulyn Powell will share more about this ‘security detail’ and the impact around City Hall.
AUSTIN (KXAN) — One Austin City Council member is raising safety concerns about an encampment around City Hall.
For weeks, people experiencing homelessness have surrounded City Hall with their tents in protest of Austin voters reinstating the city’s camping ban.
Council Member Mackenzie Kelly tweeted that she was harassed as she walked out of City Hall on Monday. In the tweet, she said that she saw one man with a metal pipe and at least one knife, making her feel unsafe.
Kelly put out a call for people to contact her fellow council members about the situation.
Interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon responded to her tweet, saying, “Council member Kelly, I encourage you to make a police report if you were threatened so @Austin_Police can follow up. I have officers keeping an eye at City Hall daily.”
Campers’ security detail includes people monitoring area with machetes
On Monday, KXAN spoke with a woman experiencing homelessness at City Hall who explained that those camping outside of the building have formed their own “security detail.”
“We have a whole security team here,” Trisha English said, adding that she and others work shifts to make sure they’re securing the area 24 hours a day. She says when it’s her turn, she wears a bulletproof vest.
“I secure this camp to make sure everybody’s okay and make sure things do not get deescalated [sic] to the point where they have to call APD because APD is completely corrupted,” English said.
During the interview with English, a man with a machete came up, asking English if she wanted the KXAN News crew there. The man said to the news crew that he was part of the encampment’s security detail.
Those trading off shifts can often be seen wearing a vest, carrying one or more knives and using walkie talkies.
KXAN has reached out to APD, asking whether officers are aware of the group organizing its own detail. KXAN has also asked APD at what point it would consider that a threat to public safety and if that would result in officers clearing out the encampment ahead of the July deadline.
Author: Jacqulyn Powell
This post originally appeared on KXAN Austin
Officers rushed to St Peter and St Paul Catholic Voluntary Academy in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, at about 9.30am this morning and promptly locked down the school. Locals said a heavy police presence remains outside the academy, located on Western Avenue. Police said they were responding to reports of two youths, one of whom was thought to be carrying what may have been an air rifle, near the school.
Armed officers were deployed to the area where they carried out a thorough search.
Police said no weapons were found and no arrests have been made.
Several students reported the incident on social media, with one pupil writing: “Our school is on lockdown and we’ve been hiding under the tables for almost an hour.”
Another wrote: “I’m so scared even though it’s probably nothing.”
A third replied: “Omg apparently there was a guy outside church with an air rifle. I Just heard someone whisper they got a text from someone from the main building.”
Acting Headteacher Matthew Turton confirmed the school went into lockdown for one hour this morning, in response to “suspicious activity”.
He said “all students and staff are safe and well” and lessons will now continue as normal.
Mr Turton said in a statement posted on the school’s website: “Please be aware that the Police directed St Peter and St Paul Catholic Voluntary Academy to go into a lockdown at 9.30am this morning due to suspicious activity outside of, but in the vicinity to, the school grounds.
“This lockdown lasted for one hour when, under Police direction, we were informed to come out of the lockdown at 10:30am.
“There has been, and will continue to be, a Police presence in the area.
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Police are warning everyone to be careful when driving home to make sure no one is following you after a couple was ambushed by a gunman at their million dollar home, and a man was shot in the face.
Houston police say the couple was having dinner before they were ambushed in the garage of their home on Broad Oaks near Woodway.
The man and his girlfriend were just returning to their home in the Tanglewood area after leaving a restaurant in a McLaren just after 1 a.m. Friday, according to HPD.
Police say two men in hoodies followed them home and ambushed them in their garage.
They shot the man in the face and were able to steal his watch and demand other jewelry, according to police.
Shooting: W. Broad Oaks @ Maple Valley. Male robbed & shot, transported to area hospital. #hounews CC8
“You always want to be on the lookout to see if someone is following you to your house,” Lt. Emanuel Pavel said.
Police do not have a good description of the suspects or the vehicle they were in except that they were two Black, skinny men wearing hoodies.
The man is expected to survive, and his girlfriend was not injured, HPD said.
Police are working to find any surveillance video that may give them a better idea of who ambushed the couple.
“That goes for everybody. You have to be careful when you are driving anywhere to see that nobody is following you,” Pavel said. “Because, like in this incident, I don’t know how far the restaurant was, but it didn’t happen right over here. I mean, they were followed home.”
Here’s some advice if you find yourself in a situation where you think you are being followed:
Pay attention to a car taking all the same turns you are. If someone is truly following you, they won’t stay close. Instead, they may pass you a few times and then fall back.
Slow down. It may sound odd, but the slower you are, the harder it is for someone to tail you without being obvious.
Call police. Whether you are walking or driving, reach out to authorities and head to a public place. Do not go home.
Another piece of advice from law enforcement is to change up your daily routine occasionally. Doing the same thing every single day can make you an easy target.
AUSTIN (KXAN) — After multiple searches of the area, police say they’ve cleared St. Edward’s University after reports of an armed intruder on the main campus Saturday morning.
St. Edward’s University Campus Safety reports the suspect may be: a dark-skinned, possibly Hispanic thin male with shaggy brown hair. He’s reported to be wearing a white shirt and carrying a possible rifle.
Campus Safety initially said he was reported to be moving from the parking garage toward the direction of campus apartments/woods. They later said the suspect was walking along Woodward Drive towards I-35.
The community is advised to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to UPD at (512) 448-8444 or by calling 911.