Tag Archives: August

Cygames’ Card-Battler Shadowverse Gets A Local Release On Switch This August

Update [Fri 16th Jul, 2021 04:45 BST]: Marvelous has now released a demo for this upcoming card battle game arriving on 10th August. So head on over to the Switch eShop and give it a try:


Original story [Wed 31st Mar, 2021 06:55 BST]: Cygames is releasing the Nintendo Switch version of its digital card game Shadowverse: Champion’s Battle in Europe and North America this summer. This developer, as you might already know, previously worked on the Nintendo published mobile title, Dragalia Lost.

Shadowverse: Champion’s Battle is based on the anime adaptation of Cygames’ hit strategic multiplayer mobile and PC card battle game Shadowverse, and is described as a “reimagined” version. Players will collect new cards to build powerful decks, and can then battle solo or head online to verse opponents. In addition to this is a Battle Pass system featuring cosmetics and other in-game bonuses. The game will also be available digitally and physically.

All versions will include a special promo code granting two alternate art cards (three cards each), 10 seer’s globes and cosmetic items redeemable in the mobile and PC version of Shadowverse. Here’s backstory and some screenshots:

“In Shadowverse: Champion’s Battle, players take the role of a transfer student to Tensei Academy, where they are quickly introduced to the Shadowverse card game by their classmate, Hiro Ryugasaki. The new friends team up with Shadowverse club president (and only member) Rei on a quest to master the popular card battle game and restore the club to its former glory by winning the national championship.

“Throughout their adventures, players will be able to explore unique locations around the school and surrounding town, where events and encounters await in the least expected places. Team up with new friends, battle to become the national champions, and save the Shadowverse Club for future generations!”

SV

Does this look like your kind of card game? Leave a comment down below.

Read more
This post originally posted here Nintendo Life | Latest News

BioNTech/Pfizer plan to trial Delta variant vaccine in August

Pfizer and BioNTech are preparing to start clinical trials next month on a version of their Covid-19 vaccine targeting the Delta variant amid fears that existing jabs will offer less protection against the strain spreading across much of the world.

The drugmakers were developing an updated version of their existing vaccine that would be made using the lineage of the Delta variant, Pfizer said on Thursday. Pfizer and BioNTech are in discussions with the US medicine regulator to finalise their clinical trial plans and expect to begin studies in August.

The companies would be the first to create a vaccine focused on targeting the Delta variant, a move that underscores concerns that the highly transmissible strain may be able to evade existing jabs and new measures will be needed to tackle it.

The Delta variant was first detected in India in December and has since swept across Europe and the US, leading to a surge in coronavirus cases, especially among unvaccinated people. Delta is now the dominant strain in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and accounts for more than 90 per cent of new Covid cases in the UK.

Pfizer reiterated that a third shot of its vaccine given six to 12 months after the second dose of its two-shot regiment would be needed in order to boost immunity against new variants.

The company said it would publish more definitive data on the effects of a third shot, and also planned to apply for emergency use authorisation from the US Food and Drug Administration in August for its booster shot.

The New York-based company pointed to preliminary data published last month that showed two vaccine doses elicited antibody titres against the Delta variant but said that vaccine efficacy was shown to decline six months after vaccination.

“While we believe a third dose of [our vaccine] has the potential to preserve the highest levels of protective efficacy against all currently known variants including Delta, we are remaining vigilant and are developing an updated version of the Pfizer-Covid-19 vaccine,” the companies said.

A study by Israel’s health ministry this week indicated that the BioNTech/Pfizer jab was 93 per cent effective at preventing severe illness and hospitalisation from Delta, but only 64 per cent effective at protecting against infection from the variant. 

Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have both said that early data showed their jabs produced antibodies against Delta.

Author: Nikou Asgari in New York
Read more here >>> International homepage

Waterloo Park, Moody Amphitheater to open August 14; Gary Clark Jr. to play 1st concert

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin’s newest downtown park and concert venue will open August 14.

Waterloo Greenway Conservancy officials teased the opening of Waterloo Park in May saying it would open “in August,” but they announced the specific date Wednesday morning.

When the park opens, the conservancy and the City of Austin will hold a CommUNITY Day, a free and family-friendly event with live performances and activities for an all-ages crowd.

There will also be a “Taste of Austin” concert at the amphitheater with Austin-based musicians.

To celebrate the opening of the park and 5,000-seat Moody Amphitheater, Austinite and Grammy Award-winning blues rocker Gary Clark Jr. will play the first ticketed concert at the venue August 21. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. June 25, but 100 free tickets will be available via a lottery system.

“Waterloo Park is an exciting addition to Austin’s treasured outdoor destinations, one that underscores our community’s love for nature, music and the arts,” said Mayor Pro-Tem Natasha Harper-Madison. “Particularly as we emerge from the challenges of the pandemic, we know just how valuable outdoor spaces are to our health and wellbeing. This park will connect our community not only to the rich history of the land, but to one another, while creating a safe, inclusive space that supports a more equitable Austin.”

The 11-acre park is just the first phase of the overall plan for the area, officials say. The entire system spans from 15th Street to Lady Bird Lake. A 1.5-mile hike and bike trail is nestled within the park, along with sprawling lawns and playscapes to showcase the Waller Creek habitat, officials said.

Along with Harper-Madison, Austin Mayor Steve Adler and conservancy leadership will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open the park.

Author: Billy Gates
This post originally appeared on KXAN Austin

Austin Police to temporarily suspend motors unit starting in August

Austin Police to temporarily suspend motors unit
by: Jaclyn Ramkissoon, KXAN Staff Posted: May 20, 2021 / 09:13 PM CDT/ Updated: May 20, 2021 / 10:22 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department confirmed to KXAN Thursday that its motors unit will be temporarily suspended starting Aug. 1.

Officials said traffic enforcement will continue to be the responsibility of all officers.

They add the motor unit’s services, such as police escorts, will be available as needed.

But due to staffing reallocation because of budget changes, APD said it needs to move officers to support patrols.

“The Austin Police Department is committed to ensuring a prompt response to emergency calls to 911. We continue to evaluate our patrol staffing needs and reallocate officers from specialized units to support Patrol operations as needed. Several units have been impacted by this staffing reallocation. As of August 1, the Motors unit will be temporarily suspended, and traffic enforcement will continue to be a responsibility of all APD officers. Services provided by the Motors unit such as escorts will be available, as needed. The safety of the Austin community remains our top priority.”

-Austin Police Department spokesperson

The Reimagining Public Safety Task Force in April suggested using unarmed civilians to do traffic enforcement to prevent minor traffic stops from escalating. This would only be for minor traffic offenses, the task force said, explaining DUIs, stolen cars and speeding would still be handled by police.

Read Also: Google geofencing helps Austin police arrest suspect in food truck robberies

There are currently no plans to implement this idea, but Austin is not the first city to have talked about this.

Berkeley, California implemented a similar plan in 2020. The city is working to form a new transportation department to handle minor traffic stops, like running a stop sign or forgetting to use a turn signal.

Author: Jaclyn Ramkissoon
This post originally appeared on KXAN Austin

Final leg of Huawei CFO extradition hearings set to resume in August

Final leg of Huawei CFO extradition hearings set to resume in August© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: Huawei Technologies Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou leaves her home to attend a court hearing in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada May 27, 2020. REUTERS/Jennifer Gauthier

By Sarah Berman

(Reuters) – Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou and her legal team are set to return to court for three more weeks of extradition hearings starting Aug. 3, following a fourth attempt by Meng’s lawyers to introduce new evidence, a Canadian court heard on Wednesday.

Meng, 49, was arrested at Vancouver International Airport on a U.S. warrant for bank fraud in December 2018. She is accused of misleading HSBC about Huawei’s dealings in Iran, causing the bank to break with U.S. sanctions.

Meng maintains she is innocent of the charges and has been fighting her extradition while living under house arrest in Vancouver. For more than two years, her lawyers have pushed to have the case thrown out because of alleged abuses of process that they say violated her rights.

Last month Meng requested a delay in proceedings to allow her legal team to review new documents that could bolster her defense. The request followed a settlement between HSBC and Huawei in a Hong Kong court allowing company records to be released.

Meng’s lawyers told the British Columbia Supreme Court on Wednesday they plan to file their application to introduce new evidence on June 7. The case is expected to wrap on Aug. 20.

X: Therefore doesn`t .

Author: Reuters
This post originally appeared on Stock Market News

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury to be announced 'tonight' with August date set

The two will both be ringside this evening and Oliver fully expects Hearn to officially announce a date for Fury’s fight with Joshua immediately afterwards.

“I think we’re going to get an announcement after the fight tonight… AJ vs Tyson Fury,” Oliver told talkSPORT.

“I think Eddie is going to announce it tonight, and I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be mid-August… August 14 is the date I’ve been hearing.

“So I think we’ll get that announcement tonight. Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, the contract has been signed, the only thing we don’t know is the date.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Covid freedom: UK to reach safety in fight against pandemic by August, says expert

Coronavirus cases in the UK remain below 3,000 a day as the UK continues to implement its successful vaccine rollout. Speaking to The Telegraph on Friday, Clive Dix, former head of the UK’s vaccine taskforce, said the country would be safe from the virus in the coming months.
“Sometime in August, we will have no circulating virus in the UK,” predicted Mr Dix.

The suggestion comes as British officials say people under 40 will be offered an alternative to the AstraZeneca vaccine amid health concerns over blood clots caused by the jab in rare circumstances.

Mr Dix added that, within three months, “we will have probably protected the population” from the virus.

He added: “All the variants that are known; I think we’ll be safe against over the coming winter.”

The latest Government figures suggest that over 35 million people have received their first dose of the vaccine and around 16.7 million people are fully vaccinated.

Mr Dix was appointed the interim leader of the vaccine taskforce back in December and stepped down from the role last week.

He was also an integral team member that struck deals with vaccine producers near the start of the pandemic – when there was no certainty that any vaccines would be successfully created.

He further predicted that everybody in the UK will have had their first dose of the vaccine by the end of July.

READ MORE: Emmanuel Macron attacked for using ‘Brexit hatred’ as cover

Experts and the public hope that if cases remain low as the country slowly eases on lockdown restrictions that a holiday abroad this summer might be allowed.

Yesterday, the UK unveiled a list of 12 countries and territories that are on its green list for quarantine travel from May 17.

Green listed countries include Portugal, Gibraltar, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Brunei, Iceland, the Faroe Islands and the Falklands.

Looking to the future, Mr Dix also predicted that the UK’s vaccination rollout has been so successful that a booster shot programme might be pushed back to early 2022.

DON’T MISS: 
Gibraltar on the green list for summer 2021: Where Britons can travel [REVEAL]
Covid surge testing extended: New London postcodes added to list [INSIGHT]
Coronavirus News: Town spends relief money on statue of giant squid [SPOTLIGHT]

He said: “We may decide that we need to boost the immune response, and we’ve got the vaccine to do that.

Whether we’ll need to or not, I would think probably not, but we might still do it in case.

“I really don’t think it should be autumn. We should be thinking about boosting in maybe January or February, because the immune response will be strong.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: UK Feed

Gamescom Returns This August In New Hybrid Format – Expect Announcements, News And “Surprises”

Gamescom

As the year begins to get underway, we’re slowly hearing more and more announcements. Earlier today, we found out Evo online would be taking place this August, and now, Gamescom has provided new information about its own plans for 2021.

When it returns on August 24, it will be delivered in a new hybrid show format – featuring physical and digital elements. The physical part of the show will include an on-site section where a reduced amount of visitors can test out new games live, while the rest can tune in online.

“We will hereby be placing a focus on the superfans and the on-site testing of the latest games this year. At the same time, gamescom 2021 will once again reach millions of people worldwide as a result of the further developed digital offers.”

The one and only Geoff Keighley will also be returning to host the event and promises “surprises” and much more. Will you be watching this year’s Gamescom live show to see what announcements there’ll be? Tell us down in the comments.

Spain & Greece holidays 'top' for August – Turkey, Italy & Portugal 'more likely' in July

Foreign holidays could restart from May 17 if Covid data “satisfies” the Governments tests. Despite the lack of certainty, Britons are already racing to get booked up on their next overseas jaunt.
There could also be some savings to be had.

According to Skyscanner prices are currently as much as 25 percent lower during summer 2021 than in the year previous.

Greece has also shone through as a summer 2021 hotspot.

“Most bookings made since the announcement are for trips departing in August,” explained the Skyscanner expert.

“Greece was named a hotspot for 2021 in Skyscanner’s 2021 Destinations campaign in December 2020.”

Average prices are reported to be up to 11 percent lower than in 2019.

Meanwhile, Britons looking to get away even sooner appear to be focussing their attention on some other destinations.

According to the experts, it seems holiday hopefuls believe Turkey, Portugal and Italy are “more likely” to go ahead first, with most booking surging for these destinations in July.

“The most popular time for holidays to Italy in summer 2021 is July, with an average of 2.2 passengers per booking indicating couples or two friends are looking for an Italian escape,” said the expert.

“Summer prices are also attractive compared to last year, up to 27 percent lower than the 2020 average and 23 percent lower than in 2019.”

Meanwhile, though Portugal is currently on the UK’s “high risk” list resulting in mandatory hotel quarantine, the nation has retained “its popularity with travellers”.

“Holidaymakers looking to bag a deal Portugal could be the best bet with prices up to 34 percent cheaper than summer 2020, and 23 percent lower than 2019.”

Daily Express :: Travel Feed