Tag Archives: bids

Naga Munchetty bids farewell as BBC colleague leaves for job they've 'long wanted to do'

The BBC star opened up on her “excruciating” experience, which left her husband James Haggar desperately trying to find out what room she was in “to make it stop” after hearing her screaming in pain.

Naga recalled: “I had a coil fitted a few years ago, and it was one of the most traumatic physical experiences I’ve had.”

She later added: “Now, I won’t go into all the details, but my screams were so loud that my husband tried to find out what room I was in to make it stop.

“He said that those in the waiting room hearing my screams looked horrified. 

“The nurse accompanying the doctor had tears in her eyes. I was asked by my doctor half way through if I wanted to stop, but I was so determined that the pain I’d suffered so far wouldn’t be repeated, so I said, ‘we’ve got this far, let’s finish it’. I fainted twice.”

Naga then explained: “Though they did ask if we should stop, at no point was it suggested that I could have any anesthetic or sedation.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

‘That’s it!’ Monty Don bids farewell as he announces break away from Gardeners’ World

He also revealed that his co-star Adam Frost would be replacing him and fronting the show from his garden.

Monty continued: “But Gardeners’ World, of course, will still be with you and in Adam’s garden.

“And I’ll be back here at Longmeadow in a few weeks time.

“So until then, bye-bye,” Monty smiled.

Monty didn’t explain why he would be taking time away from the show.

 

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

'No thank you!' Frexiteers call out EU's power grab bids – 'Let's get out of this hell'

The European Commission announced plans on Thursday for a digital identity wallet to allow Europeans to access public and private services via their mobile phone as the COVID-19 pandemic underscored the need for user-friendly online services.

The move also seeks to counter privacy and data protection concerns related to digital wallets offered by Apple, Alphabet unit Google, Thales and financial institutions.

But eurosceptics in France have lashed out against the proposals, calling for the country to leave the bloc altogether.

Les Patriotes leader, Florian Philippot said: “The European digital identity that the EU is cooking up for us: no thank you!

“No desire to be traced by this big oligarchic thing!

“Let’s get out of this hell, quickly! Frexit!”

Generation Frexit leader Charles-Henri Gallois also lamented the proposal by Brussels merely aims at “controlling people”.

He argued bilateral agreements between countries would be a safer way to ensure EU citizens are guaranteed use of public services across the bloc.

He told Express.co.uk: “It can look very convenient at first sight but when you study it, you will see that it’s liberticide (oppressive) and people control.

READ MORE: Swexit warning: EU issued threats of legal action over minimum wage

“The European digital identity will enable us to do in any member state as we do at home without any extra cost and fewer hurdles,” EU tech chief Margrethe Vestager said.

“EU citizens not only expect a high level of security but also convenience whether they are dealing with national administrations such as to submit a tax return or to enrol at a European university where they need official identification,” EU industry chief Thierry Breton said.

The adoption of an electronic wallet could generate as much as 9.6 billion euros (£8.2 billion) in benefits for the EU and create as many as 27,000 jobs over a five-year period, the EU document said, confirming a Reuters story on June 1.

By reducing emissions related to public services, the e-wallet could also have a positive environmental impact, the Commission said. The digital identity wallet will not be not obligatory for Europeans.

EU countries have until September 22 to set out the technical architecture, standards and guidelines for best practices for using the digital identity wallet.

Currently, 14 EU countries have national schemes of electronic identity.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: World Feed

Jay Blades: The Repair Shop star bids emotional farewell as he shares 'last day' news

“They tell me who is coming on and we do it one take.

“We have formed as a family (workshop staff) and you take the mickey out of each other, so you do what a family does. 

“That is what the production company has done.”

Jay has also spoken of growing up in Hackney, East London, where he was subjected to vile racist abuse.

He said: “There was racism too. I was spat on and beaten up at school.

“I haven’t done bad considering I was deemed thick. Nobody realised I had dyslexia.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

Naga Munchetty: BBC Breakfast host bids farewell in 'good luck' message as colleague exits

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

In view of her 232,000 followers, Naga wished the US correspondent the best with his future endeavours.

She wrote: “Good luck Nick x.”

Former Breakfast presenter Bill Turnbull wrote: “Big loss for the BBC and all of us.

“Nick is an outstanding correspondent and analyst, one of those whose reports always make you listen up and pay attention. A rare breed.”

Jeff Hordley's wife Zoe Henry bids farewell to Emmerdale colleague with 'good luck' post

While a third person added: “We got a second poly tunnel a few weeks back, seeds already starting to come through!”

Zoe has previously spoken about the family’s love of fresh, healthy produce.

She told Fabulous last year: “We have an allotment and it’s so therapeutic to have your hands in the earth.

“We’re mindful of what we eat, but watching our diet isn’t about being on TV, it’s more about general well-being, as Jeff has Crohn’s disease.”

Juventus ‘prepared to listen to €25 million bids’ for Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo will be allowed to leave Juventus this summer if the price is right, according to reports. If Ronaldo wants to leave, the Italian club will supposedly let their man go for a minimum of €25 million.

The claims, as reported by Spanish outlet AS, may come as a surprise to some, especially when Juventus Chief Football Officer Fabio Paratici was recently quoted as saying: “Cristiano is the best player in the world and we are not going to let him go.”

However, since the Old Lady crashed out to Porto in the Champions League, and all but gave up their defense of Serie A with a disappointing defeat to Benevento, rumors have emerged linking the Portuguese star with a move away from the club.
Also on rt.com Andrea Pirlo or Cristiano Ronaldo: It is one or the other, not both for Juventus
Earlier this month, it was reported that Ronaldo had been in discussions with his former club Real Madrid over a potential return to the Spanish capital.

Despite domestic success in his first two seasons, the 36-year-old has failed to lift the Champions League with his current club. That elusive trophy was the key reason behind why the Bianconeri paid over €100 million ($ 118 million) for Ronaldo back in 2018.

Despite this apparent failure, AS reported that Juventus defended their investment, claiming that the global superstar had enhanced the club’s exposure worldwide.

Even still, between the cost of his salary and the amortisation of the initial transfer fee, Ronaldo is costing the club around €87 million per season. With just one year left on his contract, it may be tempting for Juventus to try and reclaim some of their investment before he is available to leave for free in the summer of 2022.
Also on rt.com Definitely maybe: Zidane hints Real Madrid will try to lure Cristiano Ronaldo back to Bernabeu
The impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on global sport will likely have put Juventus under more financial strain than anticipated when the club signed Ronaldo three years ago. As reported previously, the club announced losses of more than €113 million ($ 155 million) for the first six months of the 2020-21 season. This may explain why they are so prepared to lose the superstar.

It looks as if Ronaldo’s preferred destination is indeed a return to Madrid with his old club. However, careful not to burn any bridges, Juventus claim they will not force him out of the club, and are content to keep him for one more season.

Only time will tell, although it looks as if Ronaldo’s fate is in his hands.

RT

Presented by
RT.com

Tweet for $300K? Twitter boss Jack Dorsey is selling first-ever tweet and the bids are flying in

The first post on Twitter that appeared on its co-founder and current CEO Jack Dorsey’s account in 2006 is up for sale as an NFT, a nonfungible token. Some social media enthusiasts are ready to spend a fortune on it.

Dorsey’s almost 15-year-old message “just setting up my twttr” attracted whopping offers after he posted a link to a tweets marketplace called Valuables on Friday. The intense bidding war put the Twitter co-founder’s post at $ 363,000 as of Saturday morning (around 8am GMT).

While the sale was announced, at least on Twitter, on Friday, it seems that the tweet was listed on the website weeks ago, as some replies to Dorsey’s tweet linking to Valuables date back to December.

NFTs are a special type of token. Like cryptocurrencies, they operate on a blockchain, but they don’t hold money and serve to show ownership of some other unique assets like art. 

According to Valuables, the highest bidder for the famous post will actually buy “a digital certificate of the tweet.” The website compares such a purchase with owning an autograph on a baseball card, saying that “the NFT itself is the creator’s autograph on the content, making it scarce, unique, and valuable.”
Also on rt.com Twitter reports $ 1.14 billion net loss for 2020
For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

RT

Louise Minchin: BBC Breakfast host bids farewell to colleague 'who always cheered me up'

BBC Breakfast host Louise Minchin, 52, reacted after Radio 4 newsreader Corrie Corfield, 59, announced that she had “read my last ever news bulletin” earlier this week. The radio broadcaster admitted she felt “teary” since making her exit from the BBC.

Louise offered a touching message on the micro-blogging site as she spoke of their time working together in the newsroom.

In view of her 200,000 Twitter followers, the BBC star praised her former colleague who has retired from broadcasting.

It comes as the former Radio 4 newsreader Corrie, penned: “And that’s that. I’ve read my last ever news bulletin on @BBCRadio4 & said a fond farewell to Continuity.

“What a pleasure and a privilege it’s been. Shall miss my fabulous colleagues hugely but have so many cracking memories to cherish. It’s been a blast. (A bit [teary emoji] right now).”

READ MORE: Sally Nugent reacts to ‘harsh’ remark over lack of rugby coverage

“I shall miss you and your gorgeous voice. I remember being a News Trainee in the radio newsroom back in the day at Broadcasting House and writing a cue to a piece and you mouthing to Tim Bailey ‘It’s so boring.’ And you were right … good luck with the next chapter,” Rebecca Jones tweeted.

Jeremy Bowen added: “Good luck Corrie. I must be the oldest one left. Seems like last week when we were the youngest. Congratulations on a brilliant career. You’ve been one of the great voices of the BBC and millions will miss listening to you. Me included.”

Corrie is a radio broadcaster and producer known especially for her news reading and continuity announcements on BBC Radio 4.

She first joined the corporation in 1983 but has since announced her departure after more than 30 years at the BBC.

DON’T MISS…

Lucy Verasamy: ITV weather star enlists boyfriend’s help with new look[LATEST]
A Place In The Sun host Scarlette Douglas details seaweed blunder[EXCLUSIVE]
Dan Walker details children’s ‘brutal’ reaction to his book[INTERVIEW]

Meanwhile, Louise has had more reason to celebrate after her co-star Sally Nugent won big at the Royal Television Society Journalism Awards 2021, which took place in a virtual ceremony last night.

The star collected The Scoop of the Year Award for her work on BBC Breakfast’s interview with Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford about his experience of growing up in poverty.

Taking to Twitter, Louise retweeted a post from the award ceremony’s official account.

It read: “The Scoop of the Year Award goes to @BBCBreakfast who showed ‘great contact building, perseverance, diplomacy and a clear eye for a story’ with their ‘Free School Meals’ report for @BBCOne #RTSAwards.”

Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed