Tag Archives: Brom

Sam Allardyce announces West Brom departure, but will help appoint successor

Sam Allardyce will leave West Bromwich Albion at the end of the season after failing to keep the Baggies in the Premier League. The 66-year-old replaced Slaven Bilic in December but was unable to maintain his record of having never been relegated from the top-flight.

West Brom conceded 15 goals in Allardyce’s first five matches in charge and continued to struggle.

They were sent down following a 3-1 defeat by Arsenal earlier this month.

Allardyce has turned down an offer to help the club win promotion from the Championship and his departure was announced in a club statement following their 3-1 reverse against West Ham on Wednesday.

The former England boss will aid the recruitment process as the Midlands outfit appoint his successor.

JUST IN: Harry Kane gives ‘farewell’ lap as Tottenham fans beg him to stay

“West Bromwich Albion made me a generous offer to stay at The Hawthorns that shows the commitment of an ambitious club. After serious consideration I have decided not to accept that offer.

“If I were to stay and achieve promotion next season the expectation would be for me to continue for at least another season and, sadly, that is not a commitment I feel able to make at this stage of my career.

“I believe the club now needs stability and continuity and this would, in my opinion, best be provided by a young and ambitious manager who can get us back to where we should be as an established Premier League football club.

“I must thank the players and staff, in particular Luke Dowling and Ken (Xu Ke), for their unwavering commitment to a very difficult challenge during my time at the club. This challenge was made all the more difficult, of course, by the enforced absence of the club’s fantastic supporters, some of whom I am delighted were present for our final home game against West Ham United.

DON’T MISS:
Man Utd ‘best suited’ to Harry Kane transfer but on one condition
Man Utd keen on ex-Liverpool striker as Solskjaer plans title bid
Harry Kane sets transfer deadline amid Man Utd and Chelsea interest

“Unfortunately, collectively, we were unable to achieve our goal of surviving relegation. In the second half of the season we played with passion and desire, delivering some memorable results with organised, entertaining football.

“Ultimately, we were unable to accumulate the points total required to keep us here, but Sam certainly restored pride with a number of resilient displays.

“Sam, Ken (Chief Executive, Xu Ke) and I have discussed at length our plans for the future and we very much hoped to have Sam in charge for next season and beyond.

“Sam and his coaching staff have been excellent to work with and I would like to thank them all for their efforts.

“Sam has given his reasons for leaving and we respect his decision. He has been brilliant to work with and I wish him, Sammy and Robbie all the very best in the future. They will always be welcome at The Hawthorns.”

Allardyce held back his emotions in his post-match interview with Sky Sports as he fired back at those who have criticised his style of play, and gave a staunch defence of his players from similar criticisms, including from West Ham striker Michail Antonio. 

“I am, as you say, a man who comes and saves a football club, a man that’s a troubleshooter, I’m happy with that,” he said.

“That’s been my life for the last eight or nine years. I feel like the club needs a man to come and take it by the scruff of the neck and take it up, I think they can, but I also think it needs to plan for the future. 

“Unlike Michail Antonio’s statement that I just heard before I came out here, saying we’ve got big men that play in the channel. He’s just insulted me and my team.

“He’s a nice lad, but it was disgusting what he said. I think he should go back and watch the game to see how we really played. Our front two are five-foot-10 and five-foot-nine, so I don’t know what big men he saw in the channels. 

“That’s all you lot talk about, you never talk about anything else. Just like Michail Antonio just said, ‘it’s Sam with the long ball, it’s the Sam way of playing.’

“it’s a load of crap and it always has been a load of crap because I’ve never played the same way at any club I’ve been at.

“If you thought that was long ball today, then somebody is deluded. We played long ball against Liverpool because it was the right way to play and should have got a result against them.

“They didn’t like it, but it shows everybody if you play a simple game against Liverpool, then you can get at them, you can get behind them and you can get chances.

“They’ve gone and beat Burnley 3-0 tonight, but they were dead lucky to beat us the other night. Today, West Ham didn’t deserve to beat us 3-1 but that’s our fault and nobody else’s.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta sets Emile Smith Rowe challenge after West Brom win

Meanwhile, Smith Rowe says scoring his first goal in the top flight was a good way to end a hard week.

“It has been a dream playing for this club and to finally score my first goal – can’t be better,” he said.

“It has been a difficult week but happy to get the three points.

“It has been really difficult for us as a team, it is not nice to lose in the semi-final of a tournament, it is important we keep our heads up.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

VAR shocker as West Brom goal disallowed 'due to positioning of camera' vs Southampton

“We are being told that because of the positioning of the camera that they couldn’t draw a definitive line through the body of Diagne so it stays with the on-field decision, which was an initial offside,” he said on commentary.

The decision infuriated many, including former QPR player Jamie Mackie, who was covering the game for Sky Sports News.

“We’ve seen it five or six times and it’s a goal. It [VAR] has failed. They’re going to feel extremely aggrieved and let down,” he said.

Thankfully for West Brom, the decision did not come back to haunt them, with Matheus Periera and Matt Phillips scoring before half-time.

'Big wake up call' – Angry Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel sounds warning after West Brom loss

Thomas Tuchel has claimed that he and his Chelsea side will look for rapid improvements after the Blues were defeated for the first time under his leadership by West Bromwich Albion on Saturday afternoon. The Baggies hit five to come back from a 1-0 deficit, sealing a famous win and a valuable three points in their fight for Premier League survival, with Chelsea’s downfall arriving after Thiago Silva was sent off for a second bookable offence inside the opening 30 minutes.
Chelsea took an early lead through Christian Pulisic who bundled home the rebound from Marcos Alonso’s free-kick, before Silva was dismissed after receiving his second yellow card for a foul on the edge of the area.

The hosts then conceded two quick-fire goals in first-half stoppage time courtesy of Matheus Pereira to hand West Brom a half-time advantage.

Sam Allardyce’s side continued to trouble Chelsea’s usually watertight defence throughout the second half, with Callum Robinson and Mbaye Diagne firing in to stretch their lead, before Mason Mount scored with 19 minutes remaining to give the Blues hope of snatching a point.

However, the result was put beyond all doubt when Robinson chipped Edouard Mendy in the dying seconds for his second goal of the match and West Brom’s fifth.

Chelsea’s defeat ended their 14-match unbeaten run under Tuchel and curbed an impressive spell of seven games without conceding a goal.

JUST IN: Chelsea eyeing £85m Haaland and Lukaku transfer alternative

The German boss was visibly disappointed after the full-time whistle, telling BT Sport that his side did not react well enough after Silva was dismissed early on.

“Nothing so much until the red card, after that we were not able to cope with the situation,” said Tuchel.

“I don’t know why. After the red card, we could not adapt. We gave away two easy goals. Even in the second half, what could go wrong went wrong.

“We have to accept a big loss today. Hopefully it’s a big wake up call for all of us – me included.”

DON’T MISS

Tuchel admitted that he did not have eyes on the incident that earned Silva a second yellow card, but stressed that it cannot be used as an excuse for his side’s poor result.

“I didn’t see,” he added. “Twice, it was not his mistakes. We made big mistakes before the two yellow cards. We are responsible.

“Too many easy ball losses. Then we got a red card and it was impossible for us to adapt.”

Chelsea have been imperious in defence since Tuchel’s arrival, with the German manager’s preferred three-at-the-back system helping to shore things up, but the Blues were at sixes and sevens throughout Saturday’s encounter.

The 47-year-old suggested that a lot of work will be done on the training ground between now and Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final first-leg clash against Porto, claiming that a significant response is required.

“[It] cannot get worse,” said Tuchel. “It’s not typical for us to concede like that [the two goals in the first half]. Normally ones we defend.

“Today we conceded twice and it changed the momentum. It calmed them today. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

“Every shot was a goal for them. We had big chances – but no. It was clearly not our day.

“We will get the right response because this is sport. Today we digest it because it’s a lot. A lot to digest. I did not see it coming.

“OK, now we have to take our responsibility and shake it off. [We will] continue tomorrow.”