Tag Archives: cancels

TUI cancels MORE holidays – is your vacation affected?

TUI cancels MORE holidays - is your vacation affected?

TUI also confirmed it would be cancelling a number of trips to Greece and Spain islands throughout July.

This list of cancellations includes:

July 19 – Alicante (Spain)
July 20 – Malaga, (Spain)
July 21 – Cyprus, Kefalonia (Greece), Jamaica
July 22 – Skiathos (Greece), Marrakesh (Morocco)
July 23 – Fuertaventura (Canary Islands)
July 24 – Preveza (Greece)
July 26 – Santorini (Greece), Chania (Crete)
July 28 – La Palma (Canary Islands)

Those who have had their holidays cancelled can opt for a full refund or move their trip to a later date.

Read more
This post originally posted here Daily Express

Pentagon cancels $10bn cloud contract awarded to Microsoft

Pentagon cancels $10bn cloud contract awarded to Microsoft

The Pentagon cancelled the highly-sensitive $ 10bn Jedi cloud computing contract that had been awarded to Microsoft, drawing a line under a contentious government bidding process that was marred by claims of interference from Donald Trump.

The US defence department said on Tuesday it was reversing its decision to hand over large parts of its data and communications to a single company and that it would start a new procurement process.

The decision could bring an end to the long-running legal dispute triggered by the decision in 2019 to award the so-called joint enterprise defence infrastructure contract solely to Microsoft.

Amazon has accused Trump, who was president at the time, of putting pressure on the Pentagon to award the contract to its rival because of his animus towards its founder Jeff Bezos.

John Sherman, the Pentagon’s acting chief information officer, said: “The department has determined that, due to evolving requirements, increased cloud conversancy, and industry advances, the Jedi Cloud contract no longer meets its needs.”

The department said it would instead seek proposals for a new cloud computing contract from both Microsoft and Amazon, though it said it would continue conducting market research to see if any other companies might also be able to fulfil its requirements.

Toni Townes-Whitley, Microsoft’s president for US regulated industries, said in a blog post: “We respect and accept [the] DoD’s decision to move forward on a different path to secure mission-critical technology.”

An Amazon Web Services spokesperson said: “We understand and agree with the DoD’s decision. Unfortunately, the contract award was not based on the merits of the proposals and instead was the result of outside influence that has no place in government procurement.”

The Jedi contract was supposed to be the centrepiece of the US military’s push to move much of its computing operations away from physical services and on to the cloud.

But the process was fraught with controversy and beset by delays. It was held up in 2019 when Oracle, one of the original bidders, appealed against the decision to place only Microsoft and Amazon on the shortlist.

It was then subject to a last-minute review by Mark Esper, the former defence secretary, after Trump complained that “great companies” had objected to the process.

When the Trump administration finally made the decision to award the contract to Microsoft, it prompted an immediate legal appeal from Amazon, which accused the administration of running a biased process.

Trump had frequently clashed with Bezos, often accusing The Washington Post, which Bezos owns, of attacking him unfairly.

Amazon lodged its appeal in 2019, but Microsoft said on Tuesday it had expected the legal process to drag on for another year.

Microsoft also called for reform of the system that allows for companies to protest government procurement decisions, accusing Amazon of “delay[ing], for years, critical technology upgrades for those who defend our nation”.

Author: Kiran Stacey in Washington
Read more here >>> International homepage

Abu Dhabi cancels $3 bln airport terminal contract

Abu Dhabi cancels $3 bln airport terminal contract

Abu Dhabi’s state-owned airport operator has cancelled a contract with a consortium which was building a 10.8 billion dirham ($ 2.94 billion) terminal at the emirate’s main airport, four sources familiar with the matter told Reuters, Trend reports.

The group, which comprises United Arab Emirates-based Arabtec, Turkey’s TAV Insaat and Athens-based Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC), were awarded the contract in 2012 to build the Midfield Terminal Building at Abu Dhabi International Airport.

One of the sources said state-owned Abu Dhabi Airports cancelled the contract after the group over ran project costs.

Abu Dhabi Airports and TAV Insaat declined comment. Arabtec, which filed for liquidation in January, and CCC representatives could not be reached for comment.

The terminal, which is still under construction and was once scheduled to open in 2017, has been plagued by years of delays. Abu Dhabi Airports in 2019 said that construction of the new terminal was 97.6% complete.

Two sources said Abu Dhabi-headquartered Trojan had been awarded the contract to finish the terminal’s construction.

Trojan did not respond to a request for comment.

The new 700,000 square metre terminal was supposed to support the growth of Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways. When the project was launched, the state-owned airline was seeking to build a major transit hub in the UAE capital, but it has restructured and scaled back its ambitions since then.

The contract cancellation also comes amid a deep pandemic-driven recession in the travel industry that is forecast to take years to recover.

Author:
Read more here >>> Trend – News from Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Iran and Turkey.

Britons furious as easyJet cancels holidays and fails to offer alternative flights

Britons furious as easyJet cancels holidays and fails to offer alternative flights

If aasyjet cancels all flights to a destination, a replacement flight with another airline should be provided.

In esyjet’s latest communication, it only stated that “If there are no easyJet flights available to get you to your destination within 24 hours, you have the option to transfer to another airline, take a train, bus or hire a car.”

However, it said passengers are responsible for booking the alternative transport and a refund will only be made for “reasonable transport costs.”

A Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson said: “Passengers who have seen their flights cancelled should be offered the choice of reimbursement for cancelled flights, alternate travel arrangements under comparable conditions at the earliest opportunity which includes flights on other airlines, or a new flight at a later date at the passenger’s convenience.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Travel Feed

Jet2 cancels all international flights and holidays until July 1 amid green list chaos

Jet2 cancels all international flights and holidays until July 1 amid green list chaos

The Government yesterday announced changes to its travel traffic light system. Most notably, Portugal is being removed from the green list and added to the amber list next Tuesday. This news has caused chaos within the travel sector.

Mr Heapy said: “We know how disappointed our customers and independent travel agency partners will be following today’s announcement, and we share their concerns and frustrations.

“We are now calling for complete openness and transparency when it comes to the data, so that customers and the industry can really understand what is driving these decisions.”

The Jet2 boss added: “We agree that public health must be the number one priority.

“However, despite all the evidence and data showing that travel can restart safely and at scale, the UK continues to remain largely grounded whilst the rest of Europe opens up.”

Customers affected by Jet2’s changes will have their bookings automatically cancelled and given a full refund.

Another travel company to update its plans this summer is EasyJet.

The budget airline said it is reviewing flights to Portugal after the nation was removed from the green list yesterday.

A spokesperson for EasyJet said: “As a result of the Government’s sudden announcement placing Portugal on the amber list from next week, we are currently reviewing our flying programme to the country in the coming days.

“If customers want to change their plans, we offer the option to transfer their flights to another date or destination on EasyJet’s network without a change fee up to two hours before departure.”

The spokesperson added: “Any customers whose flights are cancelled will be provided with their options which include receiving a full refund or transferring to an alternative flight free of charge.”

Many travel experts have criticised the Government’s decision to axe Portugal from the green list, claiming it will hugely impact both holidaymakers and those working in the travel sector.

Travel consultant Paul Charles said this morning that the changes to the travel traffic light system will result in “hundreds and thousands of job losses”.

He went on to criticise both the system and the Government’s approach saying that Portugal should have been moved “from green to the green watch list” instead of the amber list to “give people more time to work out their plans”.

“It flies in the face of all the advice they were giving and the reason why they set up the travel traffic light system in the first place and I think that system is now seriously under question.”

Mr Charles added: “The travel sector has been pulled from pillar to post for at least 12 months now and dogged by inconsistencies of government policy.

“The sector needs a good summer this summer.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Travel Feed

Delta cancels 100 flights due to staff shortages

Delta cancels 100 flights due to staff shortages

Delta Air Lines reportedly canceled about 100 flights on Sunday due to staff shortages and placed some customers in middle seats for the first time in a year.

“We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience, and the majority have been rebooked for the same travel day,” Delta said in a statement, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports[1].

The airline said that it has had more than 1 million passengers in the past few days, the Journal-Constitution reports, the most it’s seen since the pandemic began.

ADVERTISEMENT

Websites at three Delta hubs showed 33 cancelled flights arriving or departing, the newspaper notes, with 19 cancelled flights at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, 11 at Detroit’s Metropolitan Airport and three at the Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport.

Delta said it unblocked some middle seats Sunday and Monday but would continue keeping passengers out of those seats through the rest of the month.

The company had announced on Wednesday that it would be reintroducing the sale of middle-seats[2] beginning May 1, about a year after it stopped selling those seats to allow for some social distancing on flights. Onboard drinks and snacks will also return in mid-April. Boxed meals will return in July.

“The relationships we’ve built, together with the knowledge that nearly 65 percent of those who flew Delta in 2019 anticipate having at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by May 1, are what’s giving us the assurance to offer customers the ability to choose any seat on our aircraft, while also introducing new services, products and rewards to support the journey,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in a statement last week.

[email protected] (Joseph Choi)

Bye-bye, Dubai: Tennis great Roger Federer cancels tour plans again after blowing match point to lose to world no.42 at Qatar Open

Bye-bye, Dubai: Tennis great Roger Federer cancels tour plans again after blowing match point to lose to world no.42 at Qatar Open

Swiss tennis legend Roger Federer has withdrawn from a tournament after seeing his comeback event end prematurely at the Qatar Open, squandering a set lead and a match point to lose against Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvili.

Taking part in his first tournament in 14 months, the 39-year-old lost his quarter-final match to the world number 42 6-3, 1-6, 5-7 in one hour and 50 minutes.

Basilashvili turned out to be a resiliently tough opponent for Federer, saving seven out of 10 break points, including a match point at 4-5 in the decisive set.

Federer’s unexpected loss was not the only upset for his devoted fans, as the two-time Grand Slam winner swiftly announced his withdrawal from next week’s ATP 500 event in Dubai.

It’s been great to be back on the ATP Tour,” the beloved veteran wrote on Twitter. “I loved every minute playing in Doha once again.

A big thank you to the best and loyal team that helped me get here. I’ve decided it’s best to go back to training and, as a result, I’ve decided to withdraw from Dubai next week.”

Elsewhere in Doha, Russian stars Andrey Rublev and Aslan Karatsev reached the doubles final by beating Frenchmen Jeremy Chardy and Fabrice Martin.

The in-form duo recovered from 4-1 down in the second set and saved two set points at 5-4 to clinch a 7-6, 7-6 victory.

They will face Marcus Daniell and Philipp Oswald in the final, who sent home top-seeded Colombians Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah 6-3, 6-4 in their semi-final match.
Also on rt.com Russian tennis star Rublev stands to scoop $ 103,070 by playing just two games in Qatar – as legend Federer finally returns (VIDEO)

RT

Presented by
RT.com

P&O Cruises cancels all international summer sailings in fresh cruise holiday blow

P&O Cruises cancels all international summer sailings in fresh cruise holiday blow
P&O Cruises cancelled swathes of summer cruises today, in the latest cruise news. International cruises will now not return until autumn. P&O Cruises is offering a series of short break and week-long UK cruises instead.
While the roadmap details the date for the return of jet-setting as May 17, there is still much uncertainty about when foreign travel can really go ahead.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam said in yesterday’s press briefing: “We are still in a zone of great uncertainty about what the virus will do next.

“On top of that, many of the vaccination programmes in Europe, which is a place where we frequently go on holiday abroad are running behind ours.”

“Clearly, whether we can go on holiday abroad to places such as Europe, depends upon what other countries will say and do in terms of foreign tourists.”

The expert added: “I would just say that there has to be great uncertainty.”

DON’T MISS

P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said today in a statement: “Following recent Government announcements and as the vaccine programme is rolled out across the globe we can all begin to feel a sense of reassurance and hope that this current lockdown period in the UK will come to an end.

“Life can, we hope, slowly return to some semblance of our previous normality as hospitality opens up and summer holidays can be booked with confidence.

“Whilst holidays here in the UK will be the first to become a reality we will, of course, gradually see the return of international travel but first we want guests to be able to enjoy a proper summer holiday at sea with the best in relaxation, entertainment and dining choice.

“These sailings will leave from our home port in Southampton and sail around UK coastal waters enjoying the summer sunshine.

“More details of dates, prices and the experience onboard will be announced later this month, but they will, of course, all have flexibility so guests can book with confidence.”

Ludlow went on: “We hope that the UK ‘ultimate escape’ staycation option will have wide appeal and we will do our utmost to make it a very special time.

“There really will be something for everyone and the opportunity to spend precious and much-longed-for time with family and friends.

“In order to offer these UK breaks it does mean that unfortunately, we need to cancel some of our current published programme of holidays this summer.”

Ludlow explained that ships would be setting sail when travel restrictions were lifted and that P&O is closely monitoring the situation.

“Cruises on Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura have been cancelled until the end of August and on Britannia and Iona until the end of September,” he said.

“We remain in very close contact with the UK Government and associated bodies as we monitor the latest situation and guidance on travel.

“From the moment we see travel restrictions lifting we will begin the significant logistical task to re-start our operations.

“It will take some time for the first ship to return to service, followed by the phased return of the remaining fleet.

“We cannot wait to welcome everyone back on board with the protection of effective protocols to safeguard the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests.

“I really am so sorry for the disappointment these cancellations will cause but hope that the new UK cruises will enable everyone to enjoy a wonderful holiday this summer.”