From what has been shared online, fans of COD cannot play or do anything more than constantly try and download Modern Warfare and its Battle Royale spin-off.
The file size is around 28GB and usually includes a 30-minute wait for anyone who wants to try and play their games again.
The problem is on PS4, and while the community is sharing a few fixes, there doesn’t appear to be a sure-fire way of avoiding this problem.
Some gamers believe it is connected with the Modern Warfare disc, while others think it has something to do with the Campaign Packs that can be installed.
One user writes: “Go into your game and check to see if all the data packs are downloaded; the latest update uninstalled most of them for me; once I reinstalled them, this stopped happening.
“I had a copy add-on issue and I cleaned the disc really well that fixed it for me.
“This happened to my son, 3 days in a row. He was loading it from the modern warfare disc so I deleted and installed war zone digitally and it seems to be working fine.
“That is something to note, probably an interference with the updated game files and the disc then. But I do still play MP so that’s not an option for me/some players.”
For now, there doesn’t appear to be one fix that is working for everyone, leaving some unable to play Warzone or Modern Warfare.
Last year, Activision made it possible to download and uninstall different data packs to help reduce the size of Modern Warfare.
1. Launch Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
- 2. When you reach the main menu, select Options.
- 3. Navigate to the General tab.
- 4. Scroll to the bottom and select Game Installs.
5. Highlight any content you wish to uninstall.
- Data Pack 1 – required for access to Campaign, Multiplayer, and Spec Ops
- Campaign Pack 1 (Xbox One only) – required to play Campaign
- Campaign Pack 2 (Xbox One only) – required to play Campaign
- Multiplayer Pack (Xbox One only) – required to play Multiplayer
- Multiplayer Pack 2 – required to play Multiplayer
- Special Ops Pack – required to play Special Ops
- Special Ops Pack 2 – required to play Special Ops
- Survival Pack – required to play Special Ops Survival
6. Select Uninstall, then select Confirm.
Here is one fan solution being shared online that is worth checking out for those still affected but it should be noted that it will be be up to Activision to create a proper fix for this latest issue:
“You have to wait the first time it happens, but once you get in the game, go over to the MW panel, select “Campaign” and it will prompt you to download several packs before you can access any of these features.
“Download “Campaign Pack 1” and “Campaign Pack 2” and restart the game. They should be really small files- about 1 MB each (roughly).
“During the last update, the game automatically decided to uninstall several packs you may have downloaded previously, to save space. The packs they uninstalled created this problem. I would also recommend downloading some of the texture packs in that selection… After I got back in-game for the first time without downloading these packs the map looked really funky.
“It uninstalled about 150GB worth of these packs, despite me having more than 3 TB free on my HDD.
ADDED: “Include the special ops pack in the bottom. It’s only one megabyte and removes the need for the add on pop up when starting the game, although it’s a fast copy but annoying.”