Tag Archives: crowd

The Wimbledon Crowd Gave A Standing Ovation For A Woman Who Helped Develop A COVID Vaccine

At Monday’s opening day of play on Wimbledon’s Centre Court in London, the announcer told the crowd of spectators there were some special guests in attendance.

People who played critical roles in the UK’s response to the coronavirus pandemic — from transport workers to medical staffers with Britain’s National Health Service — had been invited to sit in the royal box.

But the announcer only made it partially through the list before the crowd reacted.

“Today [the special guests] include leaders who have developed the anti-COVID vaccines,” said the announcer, as the camera zoomed in on Dame Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology at the University of Oxford who led the team that developed the AstraZeneca vaccine.

For her efforts, Gilbert received a damehood earlier this month when she was named on the Queen’s birthday honors list.

When the Wimbledon crowd realized who was in attendance, they burst into wild applause that soon became a standing ovation.

As the cheering continued for more than a minute, Gilbert looked overwhelmed.

People online were extremely moved by a viral video of the standing ovation.

The Twitter account for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate Middleton, also retweeted the video and added their thanks.

This year’s Wimbledon is the first since 2019. Last year’s tournament was canceled due to the pandemic.

Audience members are not required to wear masks when seated but are required to present a negative COVID test or show proof of vaccination status.

Author: Ikran Dahir
Read more here >>> BuzzFeed News

Roger Federer argues why Wimbledon crowd should cheer for him over Cam Norrie after boos

Roger Federer has joked that the Wimbledon crowd should cheer for him over home hope Cameron Norrie in the third round on Saturday – because of his rich history at the tournament.

The Swiss icon came out on top 7-6 (7-1), 6-1, 6-3 against Richard Gasquet in round two at his favourite major and will now take on British No 2 Norrie next up.

Federer completed his first SW19 match since the 2019 final after his first-round tie ended as a walkover win due to Adrian Mannarino’s knee injury.

The first set against Gasquet went the way of serve but after a convincing tiebreak triumph, Federer turned on the style to dominate the second and third sets.

Gasquet saved a match point at 5-3 in the third but Federer then held serve and converted his second match point to clinch a richly-deserved victory and move to 19-2 in his head-to-head record against the world No 56.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion now moves on to Norris, who he has only ever played against once before, at the 2019 Hopman Cup.

Norrie had never previously reached the third round of the grass-court Grand Slam before he saw off Australian Alex Bolt and will expect to be well backed by the fans on Centre Court, even against the much-loved Federer.

The eight-time Wimbledon champion was playfully booed when told post-match that he would be facing Norrie in the next round – but thinks his history at the event will earn him a few cheers.

And Federer said: “I heard Cameron Norrie and then I heard boos and cheers and then I didn’t hear your question anymore!

“I hope the crowd is going to get into it, regardless of who they cheer. I understand if it’s for him and if it’s for me it’s because of the last 20 years and all of the big matches I’ve played here.

“Cam’s a good guy too. He’s had a wonderful year, played great at Queen’s. He’s backed it up again here.

“I know it’s going to be a tough match and I’m happy for him but enough now – he needs to go out, I need to go through and we’ll see what happens after!

“Tough first set and after that a great second set. I was just a little bit better on the third. I’m very, very happy of course.”

After beating Bolt, Norrie joked that he’d be supporting Gasquet against Federer as he said with a smile: “Come on Gasquet.  It will be special to play Roger or Richard.

“They’re both very experienced players and definitely another opportunity to get out on the court and enjoy another match at Wimbledon.

“If it’s a time to play Roger, now is probably the best time I guess but he’s still a decent player. He still can play.”

The Brit added: Unbelievable to back at Wimbledon this year. I’m very happy to make it through to the third round. I couldn’t be more proud of myself.”

Author: Charlie Malam
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport

Germany stabbing: Moment Wurzburg crowd armed with sticks and chairs chases off knifeman

At least three people are believed to have been killed, with a further six injured, during the attack which took place in the German city of Wurzburg on Friday Afternoon. Police in the city have reportedly arrested the suspected perpetrator following a “major operation.” Meanwhile, dramatic footage has surfaced in Germany which appears to show a crowd of onlookers confronting a suspected knifeman. 

In the video members of the public can be seen attempting to subdue the assailant with chairs and sticks. 

The crowd is then shown chasing the knifeman through the streets as he attempts to flee the scene.

Moments later a German police car is seen racing to apprehend the suspect as bystanders direct the cops.

Police were later able to subdue the man who was shot in the leg during the arrest, according to the Bild newspaper. 

Lower Franconia police announced on Twitter: “We have arrested a suspect. The attacker was overpowered after police used a firearm.

 “There are no indications of a second suspect.

“There is NO danger to the population.”

Wuerzburg is located in the north of Bavaria and is home to around 130,000 people.

The video matched the reported location of the attacks on and around Wuerzburg’s central Barbarossaplatz, though it was not immediately possible to confirm when they had been made.

The situation was now under control, authorities in 

There has not yet been any official indication as to the possible motive for the attack

This is a developing news story, more to follow.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: World Feed

‘How dare you boo her’: UFC Florida crowd slammed for jeering Chinese ex-champ Zhang Weili

Author: RT
This post originally appeared on RT Sport News

Zhang Weili, who lost her UFC strawweight championship to Rose Namajunas at Saturday’s UFC 261, was targeted with a chorus of boos from the Florida crowd, apparently for no other reason than she hails from China.

The UFC’s first fight card to take place in front of a capacity crowd in more than a year was worth the wait. From title changes, to upsets, to stunning one-shot knockouts… and, well, whatever it was that happened to Chris Weidman’s leg, but one element from the evening which may have left a bad taste in some fight fans’ mouths was the not-so-warm welcome afforded to Zhang. 

Winner of 21 straight fights, Zhang was about as dominant a champion on the UFC roster before she walked into a high kick from Namajunas which ended her night – and her title reign – a little over a minute into the first round.

The lead-in to the fight had been notable for Namajunas’ comments in which she said “better dead than red” when describing her Chinese opponent, with the Lithuanian-American fighter highlighting that Zhang hails from a country under Communist rule – which might partly explain the reaction aimed at her by the capacity crowd.

Seriously. How much of a dumb f*ck do you have to be to boo Zhang because she is Chinese?” asked one fan online, with several other reactions in a similar suit.

Who dare boo Zhang Weili?” added another, before adding: “I boo you Florida, America sucks.”

Some alleged that the motivation behind the boos was nothing but “racist” – although there is always the explanation that as an American on home soil, Namajunas was always likely to get more crowd backing. 

For her part, Namajunas was keen to walk back her controversial Communist comments in her post-fight interview, telling the media that she has no personal quarrel with Zhang.

All that stuff that was the in the media, that was not my intent to ever personally attack her as a person,” Namajunas said. “It’s just my history and my past and that’s it.

Also on rt.com ‘Joe Rogan’s reactions give me life’: UFC commentator goes viral (again) for BRILLIANT response to knockout in VIDEO

Zhang’s prior dominance in the women’s 115-pound fold will likely earn her an immediate rematch with Namajunas amid their developing rivalry.

I feel I can come back real quick,” Zhang said afterwards. “I was still conscious, the referee stopped it a little bit early.”

She, and most of the audience watching at home, will likely hope that any rematch doesn’t take place in Florida, though.

Also on rt.com Dazed Zhang DEMANDS TO FIGHT ON despite being felled with brutal head-kick KO in title defeat to Namajunas at UFC 261 (VIDEO)

Presented by


RT.com

Petco Park crowd capacity increased in some sections to 67% with proof of vaccination, negative COVID-19 test

Fans 13 years of age or older must be prepared to show proof of vaccination plus a photo ID, or a negative COVID-19 test to sit in select sections.

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres announced Tuesday that Petco Park’s attendance limits have been increased to 33% of capacity in accordance with San Diego County’s move to the orange tier of the state’s coronavirus reopening system.

The changes will take place beginning Friday, when the Padres begin a homestand with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The updated limits will also make select sections of the ballpark available at 67% capacity for fans who are either fully vaccinated or have received a negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of the first game they plan to attend. Fans 13 years of age or older must be prepared to show photo ID, plus proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test.

There were mixed reactions from fans.
“I’m all about let’s go, let’s get back,” said Shelby Hudack.
On social media, some fans called it “stupid” and said it’s ruining the season.
Tickets are still pricey. StubHub, a ticketing partner with MLB shows the cheapest tickets for Saturday’s game are in Gallagher Park for $ 800 each and tickets are nearly $ 1,000 in the nosebleeds. 
“If you want to watch a baseball game you got to pay for it at the end of the day,” said Oscar Minaya. 
Masks will continue to be mandatory for all guests 2 years of age or older unless actively eating or drinking. Attendance also remains limited to California residents.

Fans may also now order concessions at contactless stands available on all levels of the park, though mobile ordering via the MLB Ballpark app will remain available for in-seat delivery. Cash will not be accepted, and fans are asked to use credit cards, Padres Pay, or other forms of digital payment.

WATCH: Tips so you don’t strike out when heading to Padres games this season 

This article originally appeared on CBS8 – Sports

Dublin Euro 2020 games thrown into doubt after Irish FA refuses to commit on crowd numbers

The Irish FA has notified UEFA that it cannot provide assurances on minimum spectator levels for Euro 2020 matches set to be held in the capital Dublin.

“The Football Association of Ireland, on advice and guidance from the government, has today notified UEFA that owing to the Covid-19 pandemic it is not in a position at this point to provide assurances on minimum spectator levels at the Euro 2020 matches due to be held in Dublin in June,” said the FAI. 

Simultaneously, its Scottish counterpart has reportedly told the European governing body that it can welcome a capacity crowd of up to 25% at Hampden Park for games in its flagship international tournament. 

This would result in a crowd of around 12,000-13,000 fans being able to watch the action in the Glaswegian ground.

Elsewhere on the continent, similar numbers passing the turnstiles have been suggested in Amsterdam in Holland and Bilbao in northern Spain.

The Irish announcement means UEFA will now have to decide whether to allow the Irish FA more time to ascertain crowd numbers, or allocate the venue’s four matches to one of the other 12 host cities for the pancontinental tournament. 

Elsewhere, St. Petersburg in Russia has said it is expecting to allow a capacity of 50% for the four matches set to take place in the city.  

Following the conclusion of an Organizing Committee meeting at the end of last month, its chief Alexey Sorkin said: “The Organizing Committee has supported the idea of implementing the basic scenario which includes filling 50% of the stadium with spectators.

The city and the Committee have been working on a notification which will be sent to UEFA before April 7. UEFA should deliver its verdict on April 9. We don’t expect it to cut the limit on spectators, as that is the hosting city’s prerogative. So, we think it will approve the plan,” it was added.
Also on rt.com Russia’s Euro 2020 organizing bosses approve 50% stadium capacity in St. Petersburg
But whether fans can attend or not, not every host city is thrilled to be receive the competition. 

Last month, a Basque derby between Athletic Bilbao and Eibar in La Liga was halted by the interference of a drone containing an orange protest banner. 

Rather than being pandemic-related, however, it was rumored to be the work of separatist groups that do not do not want the Spanish national team to step foot on Basque soil for the first time since 1967 by playing all three of their group games at San Mames. 
Also on rt.com ‘Attack of the Drones’: Bizarre scenes as UAV halts La Liga game in ‘political protest against Euro 2020’

RT

Presented by
RT.com

Boxing superstar Canelo to face British loudmouth Saunders in front of 100,000 – the biggest crowd since the Covid pandemic began

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Billy Joe Saunders will meet in front of what could be the biggest sporting crowd since the start of the pandemic a year ago, with a fight venue and date now confirmed for their title showdown.

Although the super middleweight unification bout between the masterful Mexican and the undefeated Saunders had been on the cards for some time, the clash has now been confirmed for May 8 at one of the vastest settings in the US.

Streaming giant DAZN confirmed on Friday afternoon that the WBA (Super), WBC, WBO and The Ring crown clash will take place at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas – and should play host to the largest crowd at a sporting event since the pandemic broke out in early 2020.

The ground can hold 80,000 on NFL matchdays, but potential attendances at the Dallas Cowboys’ home can rise to 100,000, with relaxed laws in its state now allowing capacity crowds.

While Alvarez pulled in a still-impressive 50,000 punters for his last outing there – a 2016 demolition of Brit Liam Smith – he is a much bigger draw now as boxing’s pound-for-pound king and arguably the sport’s most popular star.

Saunders is expected to be a much tougher opponent than Williams and his brother Callum, from whom Canelo snatched his current 168lb straps in December via unanimous decision.

Still, some have pointed to the fact that even if the cousin of Tyson Fury puts on a boxing clinic through the excellent jab and footwork he showed against David Lemieux for the WBO belt in 2018, he could face being robbed on the cards in the same manner Gennady Golovkin, Erislandy Lara and Austin Trout were against Canelo.

“There goes Saunders’ chance of getting a decision if he had one,” warned one disgruntled punter. “70,000 Mexicans screaming every time Canelo throws a punch won’t help Saunders in the slightest.”

In any event, and despite some fans continuing to brand Saunders a “boring” dance partner for Alvarez, the build-up to the spectacle will be anything but dull.

A loudmouth often on the wrong side of the law with links to controversial former MTK boss Daniel Kinahan, the proud traveller is an elite trash-talker who will do whatever it takes to try to get in the head of his 30-year-old foe.
Also on rt.com ‘Of course I’ll talk to GSP & Khabib!’ Beterbiev teases crossover to MMA before world title bout in Moscow (VIDEO)

RT

Presented by
RT.com