Tag Archives: Deshaun

Deshaun Watson's lawyer granted hearing over accuser's identity

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — In the wake of two accusers going public, Deshaun Watson’s attorney has filed on Thursday an emergency motion, seeking to identify one woman among the 22 civil lawsuits against the Houston Texans quarterback.In a statement, Houston lawyer Rusty Hardin said the anonymity of those accusing Watson is being used “as a sword” against Watson, who on Wednesday began seeing a flurry of his endorsement deals fall, including those with Nike, Beats by Dre, and Reliant[1].

“We have said this before and we want to say it again: Deshaun did not force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will,” Hardin’s statement read. “When we asked (Houston lawyer Tony) Buzbee to identify his clients weeks ago, he refused and told us to file a motion. Today we filed that motion.”A hearing is now scheduled in Harris County 113th Civil District Court on Friday at 11 a.m.

The motion filed Thursday pertains to lawsuit 2021-15937, which was filed March 18. Because these lawsuits were filed individually, Hardin would need to file a motion for each of the lawsuits filed.

Hardin continued, “As discussed in our filing, Mr. Buzbee’s use of anonymous lawsuits violates Texas law and the basic concept of fairness. It is clear that, for Mr. Buzbee, this case has never been about seeking justice in a courtroom, but destroying Deshaun’s reputation to enhance his own public profile and enrich himself. While I understand that anonymity often is used as a shield for victims, Mr. Buzbee is using it as a sword.”

Hardin then accuses Buzbee of using the allegations to “destroy” the 25-year-old.

Earlier this week, two of Watson’s accusers – Ashley Solis and Lori Baxley – went public to retell what they called a traumatic experience with the football player.

SEE MORE: Alleged victim of Houston Texans’ Deshaun Watson speaks publicly for 1st time[2]

The two women, along with 20 others, have retained Buzbee to file those civil claims on their behalf. Eyewitness News is reaching out to Buzbee’s firm for response to Thursday’s filling.Since the first lawsuits were filed in mid-March, Watson has denied ever committing wrongdoing[3] against anyone, which was something Hardin repeated on Thursday.

Hardin has also collected testimonials from 18 different massage therapists who said their experiences with the Texans player aren’t consistent with what’s being alleged.

Last week, the Houston Police Department confirmed at least one report involving Watson has been filed, but it didn’t elaborate on details. Buzbee has promised evidence is making its way to police.

Click through this immersive experience to read about each of the 22 lawsuits. For a better experience on the app, click here to see the experience on its own page[4].

In terms of his standing with the Texans and the NFL, the league has launched an investigation into whether Watson violated its Personal Conduct Policy. Texans general manager Nick Caserio[5] said the team is “certainly cognizant and aware” of Watson’s situation, adding the allegations are “certainly troubling” and something the team takes “very seriously.”
Watson, who requested a trade from the Texans back in January[6], has reportedly earned a little over $ 40 million in salary and bonuses during his four seasons in the NFL. He’s due to make $ 10.5 million this coming season, and then, $ 35 million in 2021, the first year of a four-year, $ 177 million contract extension[7].SEE ALSO: Could allegations be ‘career killer’ for Deshaun Watson?[8]

ESPN contributed to this story.

Follow Roxie Bustamante on Facebook[9], Twitter[10] and Instagram[11].

Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Roxie Bustamante

‘Touching her with his penis’: NFL star Deshaun Watson faces MORE assault claims from massage therapists

Three more women have come forward to allege sexual assault and inappropriate behavior from Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to reports.

The news comes less than a week after reports that the NFL star was attempting to distance himself from any allegations of sexual assault.

The total number of lawsuits filed against the 25-year-old has now risen to 10, according to The Guardian. 

Watson initially claimed that the allegations are the result of a “publicity-seeking” plaintiff.

He categorically denied all accusations online, posting: “I have never treated any woman with anything other than the utmost respect.

The plaintiff’s lawyer claims that this isn’t about money, but before filing suit he made a baseless six-figure settlement demand, which I quickly rejected.”
Also on rt.com NFL superstar Deshaun Watson ‘looking forward to clearing name’ amid ‘publicity-seeking’ sexual assault allegations
The quarterback was alleged to have assaulted one massage therapist earlier this month by “touching her with his penis and exposing himself.”

Similar stories are reported in statements made by the other plaintiffs. One masseuse claims he grabbed her “buttocks and vagina, touching her with his penis and trying to force her to perform oral sex on him.” While another accuses Watson of “touching her with his penis and making sexually suggestive comments”

All 10 plaintiffs are believed to be massage therapists who are seeking compensatory and punitive damages, as well as court costs. According to high-profile Texas attorney Tony Buzbee, who will represent each woman, the figure being sued for is only $ 500 – the smallest amount of damages that can be sought in a Texas civil district court.

Buzbee explained: “They bring these cases for one reason only stopping further misconduct from this defendant or any others like him.”

A statement from Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, called the allegations “meritless.” He has also stated that he is: “extremely proud to represent Deshaun Watson and wholly stand behind him.

Hardin’s statement explained that they will respond in greater detail next week: “We will wait to comment in detail until we’ve completed our review of the numerous, evolving allegations from Mr Buzbee. We will respond next week and ask you to keep an open mind until we do so.”

Watson signed a four-year, $ 156 million contract extension with the Texans only last offseason, but was already pressing for a move away – and indeed requested a trade in January – due to the poor direction he felt the team was heading.

The NFL are said to be aware of the allegations and are now investigating the matter under their own personal conduct policy.
Also on rt.com ‘Not setting good examples’: NFL’s JJ Watt slammed by pro-mask mob for social distancing faux-pas after big money Cardinals move

RT

Presented by
RT.com